advertisement

Could you share you results with special diet for diabetes type 1? any kind of diet, ex: high prote

Discussion in 'Nutrition and Food' started by ecure, Jan 17, 2011.

1. ecure

ecure Approved members

Hi

Could you share results with special diet for diabetes type 1? you could share your results with any kind of diet..
    ex: high protein diet, raw diet,, diet rich in fiber, and other diet ..

Thank you for your sharing..

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

To let you know that I am not ignoring your request: my son eats what we all eat in this house. He counts the carbohydrate and bolus when he eats, after he eats or sometimes before he eats.

To bolus when eating is the trick to success in this house.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  3. ecure

ecure Approved members

Ty for sharing Amy.. everyone is welcome to share .

4. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

My daughter is a vegetarian and eats mostly carbs mixed with some meat substitute products (but not many) and occasional tofu. She eats a lot of greek yogurt, oatmeal, fruit, nuts & nut butters, veggie soups, and drinks lots of coffee with milk. She's been a vegetarian since she was in 2nd grade and hasn't really changed her diet that much since dx...though I think she's eating lots less candy and cookies, of course. Her TDD fluxuates wildly from day to day from 25 to 40 or more.

5. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Well, my son does not do this FOR his Type 1 diabetes, he does it for muscle building reasons as he's trying to bulk up/lift weights, etc. His diabetes is not the reason for any special dietary considerations, he can eat how he likes, as long as it's a good nutritional base as with any of us.

He is choosing to go high protein/low carb right now. He is noticing a leveling of his blood sugars. I encourage low glycemic foods and we notice a similar thing there, it can be high carb but if low glycemic, his blood sugars remain much more level.

However, he does have to keep an eye on ketones when he goes too low carb. He's had at least one experience so far with ketones getting out of control quickly, in the absence of illness or other issues.

6. ecure

ecure Approved members

Hi

It's really interesting sharing.. ty a lot..

Did anyone already try diet rich in fiber?
    Ex: carbohydrates equal fibers
    So if you eat 80G carbohydrates , you will have 80G fiber.

as i found on internet.
    quotation: •Soluble fiber can also reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes. In people who have diabetes (type 1 and 2), soluble fiber can help to control blood glucose levels.
    source:http://www.uptodate.com/patients/content/topic.do?topicKey=~6B9xAaqpWk4qzZ

Would you share the results you got ?

Thank you

7. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

We are not on a special diet. I used to be vegetarian in the 80's and so we still love soy meats and vegetarian dishes but eat meat too. Lots of whole grains, beans. nuts, dairy, fruits and veggies, alot of homemade soups are my specialty like borscht and minestrone. Also candy and cookies if we feel like it but only my husband is really into sweets- he is a chocoholic!!! So I guess he is the only one on a special diet. He eats Everything plus CHOCOLATE!!! My t1dm son is growing so I want him to relax, enjoy life and food and get lots of it!

8. swellman

swellman Approved members

Woops but no. Carbohydrates does not equal fiber. Not necessarily and, in fact, not usually. I can't tell if you meant that the other way but that's just not true. 100g of pure CHO in the form of any sugar will NOT equal 100g of fiber. It will, in that case, equal 0g fiber. On the flip side 100g of cardboard will equal 100g of carbohydrates but that CHO will not affect blood glucose levels because they are not digestible.

That having been said, there is no reason, other than eating a healthy diet as any non-diabetic should consider, for a T1 diabetic to alter their diet. This is assuming, of course, that they have successfully found their best I/C ratios, correction factors and basal rates. Otherwise, avoiding all carbohydrates is the only way to "help control blood glucose levels".

9. easytr5

easytr5 Approved members

I am contemplating the veggie juice diet for 14 to 30 days for myself and my daughter. I have hypothyroidism and she has Type 1. I will let you know the results on here if we decide to commit.