- advertisement -

could you please help me with any information that I need to know???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CinaRay, Jun 7, 2006.

1. CinaRay

CinaRay Approved members

:confused:

Im Cina Ray which Im new on here and I am mother of my daughter Heather that she is 16yrs old and she been type 1 since 2001. I am deaf and having a trouble to find a way which I can help her. She is very frustrated about her weight kept gaining. She used to be really thin girl til she got diabetes and gained each year.

I just wonder is Insulin cause her gain weight? She is using novolog pen insuling and Carb ratio plan. She suppose to eat between 45 to 60 carbs total each three meal but at the bedtime meal is 15 gram of carb. It so frustrated and she kept getting depressed and cry all the time because of her weight kept gain and get so jealous of her sister Jessica because she is thin girl.

Is there any diet program for her can able to lose weight? I know exercise. But she walk one miles a day with me but sometime she automatic low sugar then has to stop and wait for few min then go back to exercise to finish up for an hour or 30 min. Can you please Help me what to do?? I know there are few diet program like South Beach or Dr Atkin are not good for diabeties people. I do appericate for you re willing to help me or any idea?? Can you.

I felt so bad for her because I always down and wish I could take diabetes away from Her. She is only one got diabetes in whole family (both my parents and my husband s parents) Which I do not understand Why HER not all of us. Seem so unfair but i guess it part of life.

Looking forward to hearing from you and possible friends that I am looking for new and make friend with who understand about diabetic. Im still confuse and lot of learning. Doctor and Nurse got me so confuse and not patience with me because Im deaf and read lip but it hard to understanding them.

Thank you for your timing.

Cina

2. pookas

pookas Approved members

Cina, I see no reason why she has to be on a certain amount of carbs for each meal since you are carb counting and covering. My son, Hunter is on diluted Humalog and used to be on Novalog [same difference as far as carb counting]. Sometimes he has 18 carbs in a meal, sometimes 50, but if you cover the carbs right, it shouldn't matter how much is eaten at a meal. Anyway, could that be the reason for the weight gain? 45-60 carbs per meal can be alot even for a teen. Maybe you could run this by her Endocrinologist? I've seen where others were on a certain amount of carbs per meal plan, but it just doesn't make sense to me. Good Luck. I hope this helps a little. BTW, is she on Lantus also?

Linda-[NEPA]-Mom to:
    Hunter, 5 yrs, dx'd 11/14/05 type I
    Colby, 7 yrs, migraines

3. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

Do you have a dietitian as part of your diabetes team? Perhaps your daughter could make an appointment to talk wtih her directly for help managing her diet and weight. I agree that if she knows how to count carbs and dose her insulin appropriately, then she should be able to eat to satisfy her hunger, not a certain set amount.

I have heard, anecdotally, that Lantus seems to predispose some people to gain weight (? I think by actually making them feel hungrier?). Levemir, a newer basal insulin, doesn't seem to have that effect -- it's something again you might ask your team about.

Good luck. It's a really hard thing, trying to support a teen through a problem like this.

4. JasonJayhawk

JasonJayhawk Approved members

Hi Cina,

Insulin is a hormone that keeps us alive by turning glucose into fat (future energy storage). Tight glucose control often means taking more insulin than we need, meaning we then end up having to "cover" that insulin with more food.

And if we underdose because of consumpton of more carbohydrates than predicted, we need more insulin to translate the glucose into fat. And a slight overdose means having to "cover" with more food to prevent a hypoglycemic reaction.

Frequently, people who have "tight control" of their diabetes, will find themselves gaining weight when under this cycle.

The best advice I can offer is to eat less food, and take less insulin as a result of it. Smaller portions will mean smaller dosing "mistakes."

Just 100 calories (approximately 25 grams of pure carbohydrate) extra a day can cause a person to gain ten pounds in one year, according to Dr. Oz (University of Columbia, NY). :eek: (And frankly, it's quite easy to eat far more than 100 calories extra per day... just think... 100 calories is less than a cookie [at least, the size of cookies I like]...and it can take 1 or 2 hours of exercise just to burn 400 calories).

Reducing insulin and then exercising is another trick to "burn" the glucose such that the body won't have to turn it into fat. It takes experimentation though as to figure out how much less to reduce it by, and of course, frequently testing blood glucose levels.

By all means, reducing insulin without reducing food intake is a very dangerous technique that some teen girls attempt in order to lose weight. Not worth it ... diabetic ketoacidosis and damage from high blood glucose can occur by this means.

5. CinaRay

CinaRay Approved members

It was nice to met you all. Thank you so much for sharing it with me and some I do understand. Yes of course it very difficult but Im not giving up and I always being there for my daughter in no matter what because I care about her so much.

that what Doctor told us she must eat 45 to 60 carb each meal but My problem is I didnt like him at all. When we live in oklahoma and there was diabetic center in Tulsa, Ok. They are great and help us with about food plan stuff but now we just moved to Arkansas and It hard to find that kind of doctor and nurse who helped us about food stuff. In arkansas do not have that kind of diabetes center like TULSA, Oklahoma. But I only know in Memphis, Tenn that do have diabetic Center but we cant use their because of Arkansas kids medicaid must use in same state. It so frustrated. Thats why I decide to do it myself to help her to lose weight and be happy but I didnt want her health turn out into danger zone!

Yes she took lantus at bedtime but she didnt do every single day because she stubborn about lantus and didnt feel like to do it. I know lantus help her a lot because she always get BG high in morning thats why doctor want her take lantus at bedtime to help her blood sugar stay level instead of high.

I have a question about insulin, Do you know what different between Humlog and novolog??? Are they same kind? Heather used to take humalog before she had her pump. thats why they changed her insulin to novolog because of using pump but now she is out of pump because arkansas medicaid are not accept pump supplies like Oklahoma did. It so frustrated about those stupid medicaid in ark that I learned so much. We are searching for insurance just for her only but still hard to find which insurance can coverage pump supplies. These are so pricy

I hope you all have a wonderful day. Thank you so much for response back and still looking forward to hearing from you all again

6. maverickmom (Kerri)

maverickmom (Kerri) Approved members

Once you are stabilized after initial diagnosis you will gain weight just like anyone else, because you are no longer peeing out calories from uncontrolled diabetes. You will also gain weight like anyone else if you take in more calories than you actually need (which happens on some diabetic regimens because you have to feed the insulin, treat lows etc).
    If she were carb gram counting and dosing only for what she actually eats, rather than eating a set amount of carbs at each meal (and having to eat carbs that she may not even be hungry for), her weight might normalize and/or go down. I would ask the dr about a different type of regimen.
    Dieting with diabetes can be tricky. She should probably see a nutritionist/dietician to help her with that.

7. cydnimom

cydnimom Approved members

Cina,

Sorry to hear you are in such a tough spot and don't really have the support of your endo team.

To lose weight, the obvious is to exercise and reduce calories. One way to reduce calories is to reduce the amount of fat being consumed. I think this is the easiest way because there are no carbs in fat, so not really a big adjustment. However, fat does effect blood sugars in that it slows down the absorption of carbs.

If you are carb counting, as others have said try to reduce the carbs and give the amount of insulin for the carbs she is eating.

As for exercise, this may take some experimenting - if you are comfortable with it. As an adult, I exercise to help maintain my weight as well as regulate my blood sugars. Exercise is great! Because my exercise is usually somewhere close to a meal I usually reduce my Humalog so I don't have to eat very much extra to cover the activity. I usually still take in extra carbs, but only about half or less of what I would have had I not reduced my shot.

You don't want to exercise and eat more - then the exercise is moot in my opinion.

It may mean more finger pokes while she is trying to figure things out, but if she is serious about losing weight the right way then you gotta do what you gotta do. It may also mean food logging what she is eating as well to figure out where her calories are coming from.

Just some thoughts and good luck with your daughter,

8. bethdou

bethdou Approved members

Interpreter at the doctor

Cina,
    You said that you are frustrated because the doctor and nurse are not patient with you when you are lip-reading. Can you ask them to provide a sign interpreter for you? I'm not sure, but I think they should be able to get someone to interpret for you if you sign. They should be making every effort to be clear with you since you are taking care of their patient! (In my opinion....)

Best of luck to you and your daughter -

Beth in Arizona:cwds:

9. payne782000

payne782000 New Member

Sorry your daughter is having problems ,I got type 1 when I was 7 and my mother is deaf too and I understand she had problems with understanding but she did a great job because Im 34 now, so dont fret.

10. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

As Bethdou said:
    "Can you ask them to provide a sign interpreter for you? I'm not sure, but I think they should be able to get someone to interpret for you if you sign. "

There are qualified sign language interpreters out there, assuming that you do know sign language. If not, other accomodations need to be made - perhaps using a TDY phone service so that the doctor can talk and the phone operator can type his words for you to read.

And the doctor is obligated to provide this! You are caring for a minor child and need to have clear communication about a serious disease. Believe me, the doctor's office has heard of the ADA laws and really won't want to mess with them. If you have any ADA or deafness advocates in your area you could contact them for suggestions.

11. jlwilts

jlwilts Approved members

Last edited: Jul 2, 2006
  12. molly

molly Approved members

Does your daughter have an endocrinologist that she sees regularly? I would suggest to you to discuss this with them and see what they might say. Does she have any swelling?

13. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Deaf and Diabetic

Under the American with Disabilities Act you have a right to have a sign language interpreter present at all times. If you do not get one, you need to file complaint. I am Deaf and also have Diabetes and know what you are feeling. It can be frustrating. You feel like doctors not take enough time to teach you what to do or explain things about diabetes to you. Many times doctors just ignore us or act like we are stupid because we are deaf. Other times doctors are nice and take time to tell us things. If you want to email back and forth just let me know and I will give you email address, etc.
    Take care and I am thinking and wishing best for you.:)