- advertisement -

Could you give me your opinion, please?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Blue, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Blue

Blue Approved members

I've posted several times this weekend about our numbers, but please forgive me for one more! I wanted to summarize the trends we saw this weekend and see what everyone else thinks is going on.

The on-call endo said it could be a problem with his Lantus, Carb Factor, Sensitivity, multiple fat spikes, or a long-lasting response to the unknown amount of uncovered carbs he had on Friday morning. You know, could be anything! ;)

In general . . .

He went twice as low with a correction as he should.

He went high after every meal except the one we gave about double the insulin he should have gotten. We tried a low fat, no pasta meal and he ended up high with it as well.

He drifted up after the last of his fast acting was gone (overnight).

Thanks for reading and please feel free to throw out any ideas you may have!

2. SunnyReid

SunnyReid Approved members

This truely could be anything...are you still in honeymoon???? as this makes life difficult at the best of times as one day that little pancreas works and the next it doesnt.. it could just be that is has decided it needs a rest or has given up the ghost completly and his insulin requirements have changed. If you do decide to make changes ( providing this is a trend over a few days) then go slow....

i remember when my DD was dx she was in such low doses and even some days on nothing ans still hypoing. I have no idea why they call is the homeymoon.... more light nightmare

Good luck

3. joan

joan Approved members

I think more information is needed to get suggstions such as, type of insulin, doses, insulin to carb ratios, timing of meals and blood sugars. The more information the better.

4. blbrocky

blbrocky Approved members

You should start doing some basal testing at night after all fast acting is out of the system. I wouldn't worry about dialing in the day doses until you get the long acting adjusted. What time do you give lantus?

5. wilf

wilf Approved members

There is nothing new here that changes my thoughts on this. Again, a few ideas - based on what I'd do if it were my child:

1) I'd move that Lantus to the morning, to decrease the chance of night-time lows from any Lantus peak.

2) I'd be trying to give a little more Lantus, as it will probably smooth out the "roller coaster" ride you're having and reduce the need for so many corrections. Maybe 1/2 unit more at first, and depending on how that works another half unit a few days later.

3) I'd want to try to get some diluted insulin, which would allow more precision in dosing boluses and corrections.

These are some ideas to discuss this with your medical team. Good luck!

6. Blue

Blue Approved members

More details are in my post here . . .

So basically start with the basal and go from there. That's pretty much what I was thinking, but hoping not.

The issue we have with adjusting Lantus is that we only have him every other weekend. We have already asked his mother to move the Lantus until morning because she doesn't do night testing and she refused. She also stated that she didn't have a problem with dosing half units so no diluted. Since it takes 24-48 hours for Lantus to kick in (according to the responses on my other thread) that means that we could have one day of increased basal before he goes back to his mother . . . better than bad numbers all weekend but not as good as I would like.

My husband is going to call his normal endo and give her the numbers from this weekend and see what she recommends. Maybe if the endo asks his mother to increase the Lantus the night before we get him it would happen. But then I would be worried about the Lantus causing a low during the night and his mother not catching it.

Guess I've got more brainstorming to do . . .

Thank you for your replies! :cwds:

7. joan

joan Approved members

You are in a tough spot with every other weekend. I think you have the right idea in calling the endo and getting some input. Toddlers are tough and I would try to institute some eating that is the same amount of carbs per meal per day until this rollercoaster is over to try and get a clearer picture of what is going on.
    Has the endo suggested a CGMS? I would have loved that if it was available when my son was young.
    How are his numbers when he is with the other parent? That is also important to know.
    With all those highs I would also think he needs more lantus. I also like the morning for him especially if you don't think the other parent checks him through the night.
    Good Luck. Its does get easier over time.