- advertisement -

Could it be...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by dzirbel, Mar 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Yea there's not but usually if a company is making a "big" announcement, employees aren't supposed to talk about it beforehand.

And just my opinion, but I think it's quite deceiving to hype a product to give others hope, when you have a vested interest in the outcome.

2. moco89

moco89 Approved members

He has vested interest and influence in the diabetes research/treatment industry, particularly as a board member.

He is also acting as a representative of his employer on his *personal* blog, as a self-purported "diabetes dad"--which is a huge understatement. He is more like a "diabetes industry executive" with a personal connection to diabetes.

I personally think "diabetes dad" is obnoxious. Reading his posts drives me nuts. I realize diabetes is serious, devastating and life-altering and I am sure it is distressing as a D parent. But seriously, he needs to chill out.

His apology was a joke. If he was sorry and if he really cared about his job, he would not be using his *personal* websites to be posting biased information.

3. swellman

swellman Approved members

I agree that a line has been crossed.

4. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

There is no "tough spot." As I said before, discussions about what happened are fine. Personal attacks against Tom are not. The same rule applies to all discussions here (as well as i can apply it). It really is that simple.

5. JamieP

JamieP Approved members

He actually is not on the board. The board is mostly unpaid and part of their job is to oversee the officers and how they perform their job. He is VP of the Foundation and he is paid >$200k to work 45hrs/wk in this position. I believe the board needs this situation to be brought to their attention- totally unacceptable.

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

There's a new post on his blog if anyone cares to read it.

I think he's tone deaf.

7. caspi

caspi Approved members

If he is as comfortable with his actions as he claims to be, why on earth does he keep commenting about it and offering these so-called apologies? He claims he wants to move forward and doesn't want the DOC divided. So how is continuing to blog about it and making claims that his family is being threatened helping that?? If anything, that's just going to divide it even more. I certainly don't wish any harm to him or his family, but the best thing he can do right now is just shut.up.

8. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

It's time to close this thread, as it has turned into nothing but a personal attack.

For those who feel slighted, you've spoken loudly and widely and I know that the DRI has heard you. As has Tom, and he has apologized twice. Those who keep piling on are beginning to look like a mob with torches and pitchforks. Tom is not the enemy. Diabetes is the enemy.

It's so easy to sit back and throw stones from the comfort of your home, hiding behind the anonymity afforded by the online world. It's much harder to decide to step up and make a difference in the world of type 1 diabetes. Are you still upset by all this? Find some way to channel your anger into something positive. Reach out to families who are newly diagnosed. Donate to Life for a Child. Write your elected officials. Organize a fundraiser for whatever organization you want to support. Volunteer at a diabetes camp. It doesn't matter what you decide to do. Just decide to do something and do it.

And enough with the torches and pitchforks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.