- advertisement -

Could it be...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by dzirbel, Mar 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

2. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

LOL, you needn't.
    Actually in the context of my post I actually meant that a sure sign of a cure is when the treatment companies start packing it up. As long as you keep seeing new investments in tech, you know that MM, Animas, Insulet, etc. aren't worried about a cure, and they would know since they are undoubtably keeping an eye on it even more than we are.

But I still don't think that a vaccine for polio was going to put the wheel chair companies out of business. Basically this country has never spent as much on health care as we do now. The stuff that's available is remarkable and we all expect and want it all. How many ppl were on iron lungs vs. how many are on insulin? There's more money to be made today on health care than ever before.

And I have to agree that if a semi-cure comes out a real cure will not be urgently sought. When insulin was discovered they thought that was the "cure" and for ppl on the verge of death it WAS. But the search ended there in a lot of ways.

I'm not saying there will never be a cure--I just won't hold my breath.

3. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

From the blog post... "Some of the many components will be in clinical (human) trials within the next 12 months or so and some components are ever-changing. But conceptually, you will see, it is the most comprehensive plan and initiative that addresses each key piece of the puzzle that I have ever seen; and working together we will arrive at the end of what has sometimes seemed like a never-ending tunnel. It is real."

So, I'm suppose to get excited about a conceptual plan? With parts that aren't even in human trials yet?

WooHoo:rolleyes:

4. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

http://cbs12.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_5426.shtml

"But the next phase of the project would create a mini organ that would replace the patient's pancreas."

"As for a cure - meaning patients won't have to be on those anti-rejection drugs - Dr. Ricordi said that's probably 5 to 10 years away."

5. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Listed under the latest news on the DRI website, but you can't get further in the link yet. I think this is a type of encapsulated islet, a biological "cure" that does not require immuniosupression because the body does not touch the islets. But I am not positive, going by memory.

DRI Announces Launch of BioHub
    Scientists are developing a "mini organ" to deliver real insulin in real time.

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Yes, but with a 5-10 year timeline. And we all know what that means :rolleyes:

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

But has the "mini organ" cured D in mice? :rolleyes:

8. Michelle'sMom

I thought we'd advanced to dogs? Oh wait, that was genes. Never mind.

9. William

William Approved members

JoshuaLevy comments on the Gleevec study in the research forum. They are starting phase II which will last until 2017. Even then, Gleevec has very strong side effects as Ellen notes in the thread. (this is regarding the nbc story posted above.)

10. Michelle'sMom

For those still up, the bio hub link is now live, as is the FAQ page.

11. swellman

swellman Approved members

Very interesting. A true, biological artificial pancreas ... seems legit. I'm optimistic.

12. sooz

sooz Approved members

What is the link?

13. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

I cannot get the pages to load on my tablet. Would someone please post a synopsis?

14. Stacey Nagel

Stacey Nagel Approved members

15. William

William Approved members

So they are working on a biohub and a location. In other words this is all still at the concept stage and far away.

Other groups have been researching how to encase the cells to protect them from their body's own immune response.

Seems like a push for money with the prominent donate now and ways to give links.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  16. swellman

I watched the video ... I am so very, very disappointed ... not in the research but the hype. It sounds great but smells of money grabbing.

17. sooz

sooz Approved members

"What happens next depends on you." :(

18. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Not sure how I get this to be all that different from the Edmonton Protocol... hopefully I'm missing something

19. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Well, it does kind of depend on "you". If this is something that you feel could be a treatment/cure for diabetes, why would you not want to donate money to fund it? Not you specifically, I just mean in general.

20. swellman

Bullshit ... it's a fundraising tactic.

"We're not gonna work on it until you send us cash."

That's what it feels like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.