advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could it be...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by dzirbel, Mar 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dzirbel

dzirbel Approved members

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

If it isn't something enormous then it's a pretty cruel teaser.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

3. dzirbel

dzirbel Approved members

Yes, I agree. The DRI website is indeed "under construction". We will just have to see.

4. William

William Approved members

5. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Maybe we're about to witness a miracle. Although I think a miracle would have been hard to keep under wraps. :rolleyes:

I do think that when there's a cure it will come from stoppint the immune system from attacking islets. Isn't this the premise of Denise Faustman's work? I don't see her name mentioned in the work they site.

I expect to hear that a cure is "5 to 10 years away." :rolleyes::rolleyes:

6. sooz

sooz Approved members

I hope it is true. The cynic part of me suspects it will turn out to be a fundraising campaign ploy. Otherwise why the tease? Please God let it be true.

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

That is how I feel right now too, and I'm already mad at myself for letting a sliver of hope in. :(

8. dzirbel

dzirbel Approved members

9. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

10. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

If it was so earth shattering why couldn't this guy just tell us what it is and give all the details tomorrow? My hopes are not raised a bit because of this.

11. sooz

sooz Approved members

It said you would have to take anti rejection drugs. Does anyone know the consequences of that?

12. Christopher

Yes, the consequences are bad. Usually worse than having diabetes.

13. sooz

sooz Approved members

That's what I understood, but I was looking for more specifics. That woman in the video didnt mention it. How are they given? Pill form or injections?

14. dzirbel

dzirbel Approved members

If this is in fact what tomorrow is about I only see it as a stepping stone. No I wouldn't give my daughter anti rejection drugs but I will continue to have hope.

15. denise3099

Bwah ha ah ah hhha ha ha ha!!!! :p
    I was just joking in post #5. I can't believe I nailed it word for word!

Please, whatever you do, do not get your hopes up. Let this "big news" go in one ear and out the other. Unless a cure is imminent, it's not worth holding your breath. :(

16. William

William Approved members

Anti rejection or immune suppressing meds such as MS patients take? Such meds give you flu like symptoms each time you take it and make one more susceptible to other diseases. Cost and availability are other issues. This research is not really anything until they can keep the immune system from attacking the cells.

5 to 10 years away is usually much longer than that, if ever.

17. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

If the announcement tomorrow contains the phrase "5 to 10 years," I am taking the money that I would otherwise donate to D-research for the year and using it to fly down to the DRI to administer kicks to the groin to everyone who thought it would be a great fundraising gimmick to raise people's hopes this way.

"Here's your donation!" BAM!

18. Christopher

Do you honestly think they are going to announce a cure tomorrow?

You know it is going to be some research that "looks promising" and "may possibly" lead to something in the future. It is the same thing that people have been saying for the last 30 years.....a cure is right around the corner....

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  19. denise3099

The people who are really keeping their finger on the pulse of D research are the ones that stand to lose everything if a cure is actually found. If there were enven a possibility of a cure any time soon, Omnipod wouldn't be selling new pods, MM wouldn't be researching the artificial pancreas, no new meters would be in development, etc. Info will come out in drips and drabs and if it really starts to look promising, or a few years out, animas will starts selling cars or sweaters or meatballs, b/c they know they will be out of the insulin pump business.

I hate to be a cynic but as long as there is so much money to be made in D care, a cure is far far off. :(

20. saddad

saddad New Member

Instead of anti-rejection medicine I assume they'll use one of the methods they've been studying for reducing inflammation:
    http://www.diabetesresearch.org/reducing-inflammation
    Probably the second one, judging from the recent visit they've had:
    http://www.diabetesresearch.org/Dr-Arnold-Caplan-Visits-DRI-Discusses-MSCs

I totally agree with you, Denise. Still, the only ones I know about claiming to do it are Parvus Therapeutics, a small and apparently unknown company in Calgary, Canada. I'm still looking for somebody to explain what could go wrong with their method.

The good news with solutions like the one from diabetesresearch, from my point of view, is that with alternative treatments (to insulin) on the market, it will be easier for companies like Parvus to make it... For now, I still expect that a big Pharma will swallow Parvus and the last thing we'll hear is that their product was no good. Then back to darkness for another cycle...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.