advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could I have MODY?

Discussion in 'MODY' started by angua, Apr 8, 2010.

1. angua

angua Approved members

So, I've been a diagnosed diabetic since I was 16. The docs at that time told me that it was probably something like MODY, but I could probably be treated as a T2, especially as I was a bit overweight. So for the past 13 years I've been on every single T2 med known to man till about a year ago when the meds just didn't cut it anymore. My PCP referred me to an endo, who's basically told me that I just have T2 and high insulin resistance and has put me onto insulin. He did a peptide-C test whilst I was on the pills and said they looked "OK". But:

1. My lipid panels look normal -- my bloodwork doesn't suggest IR.
    2. When I had the peptide-C tests done a few years ago in the UK, I was told that my insulin production was dropping off.
    3. My mum had gestational diabetes when carrying me, and her parents had diabetes their entire lives. Both T1 and T2 diabetes are endemic on my my mum's side of the family.
    4. I'm on really low doses of insulin (like 25 units tops per day)
    5. I was diagnosed without any symptoms -- my GP decided to test me for diabetes because of the family history
    I know the only way to reliably test is via a gene test, but my endo is convinced that I'm being silly, but I'm not so sure. Anyone have any ideas/thoughts?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  2. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

If you have insulin resistance I have my doubts. I have the MODY 3 Genes and have EXTREME Insulin sensitivity. I by choice am on an insulin pump that I receive teeny tiny amounts of insulin 0.025 an hour and my carb to insulin ration is 0.5 unit per 30 carbohydrates ,25 units is a huge amount at least for my form of MODY... Have you been tested for antibodies as MODY diabetics HAVE no antibodies because our diabetes is caused by faults in genetic codeing. The MODY gene is recessive gene and because it is Monogenic you only need to have inherited 1 gene from your parent(typically the female side) and it can be carried recessively. Typically MODY diabetics are often labeled as T2 and are typically a thin profile (YDMV though nothing is set in stone but stats generally lean towards that direction) Did you see any normality on Sulf based meds? As MODY typically responds well to sulf based meds. The only way to tell MODY is through genetic testing unfortunately it's the only way.
    http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14047009.php
    is a pretty good site.
    If you have anymore questions I can probably help you out.

3. angua

angua Approved members

No one ever did any testing -- basically they told me about 13 years ago when the gene testing hadn't really taken off, and did a peptide-c test around 6-7 years ago, saw my peptide-c levels going down and told me then. Diabetes runs in my mother's side of the family and my mother had gestational diabetes. When I was on the sulf based meds I was actually pretty well controlled (and would go hypo on them) -- the lack of control on sulfs has happened rapidly, like within the past 6 months. I don't seem to have any real resistance to insulin -- when I was on the sulfs, my peptide-c's were normal rather than elevated, and I have none of the usual problems that people who have IR tend to have.

I guess I just wondered, what with the very strong family history and all the other indicators, like having no symptoms when I was diagnosed etc. I'm just curious I guess, since well, the T2 profile doesn't totally fit, and neither does LADA and its not T1! Guess I'm a twilight zone girl!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  4. RSpence

RSpence New Member

MODY 2 and pregnancy

It sounds like MODY 2.