advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could he have MODY?

Discussion in 'MODY' started by FeliciaLynn, Apr 29, 2009.

1. FeliciaLynn

FeliciaLynn Approved members

Can you tell me a little bit about MODY? I have read a little on the internet and I am starting to wonder if this is something that my son has.

Before I had found anything on MODY I thought my son may be T1. Here is the what I posted under "Parent of T1":

My son is 2 and a half years old.

For about six months he has been complaining about "ants" on his finger and toes. Not sure if it is pain or tingling. The doctor said it may be Restless Leg Syndrome or he just like saying ants. This bothered me so I had my dad (who is T1 diabetic) check his sugar levels. It read 180 about an hour after eating then by two hours it was normal. (This by the way took place about a month ago) I called my son doctor and she said to randomly check it.

Last Friday my dad checked my son's BG (his finger was cleaned with alcohol) because he has been peeing alot. It was about 30 minutes after he ate and it read 370. He check it again (I'm guess about a hour later) and it was 490. He ate pancakes (without syrup but with sugar in batter). I had to pick him up from my dads and by the time I got him to the hospital his level was 89 (this was about 2-3 hours after eating). They did blood work and everything was normal.

Has anyone else every had this? The doctor (not his doctor) didn't seem to concerned but told me to keep an eye on him. I do have an appt with an Endo next Thurs.

BTW here is the blood work that was done:
    Hgb A1C = 5
    C peptide = 1.2
    Insulin Antibody = Not sure the result but told it was normal
    Islet Cell Autoantiboies = Not sure the result but told it was normal
    Anti GAD 65 Antibody = Not sure the result but told it was normal
    CO2 = 21
    Acetone Serum = Neg
    Glucose Urine = Neg
    (there is a whole page of results but these are the ones the doc went over with me)

2. zimbie45

zimbie45 Approved members

I dont know much except wtih teh antibodie test they will either have a number greater then zero ( or something like 0.001) is a positive...

3. Alba37

Alba37 Approved members

My son's c-peptide result just after diagnosis was 0.84 and there was a suspicion he had MODY, but tests 2 years on were all proved negative. His diagnosis was slow onset T1. I believe there are different normal ranges in different labs, however 1.2 sounds normal range meaning he is producing normal amounts of his own insulin.

I have heard of a few children with high levels after meals and so far have not been diagnosed with diabetes. I hope this is the case for your son too. Let us know how your appointment goes.

4. tealas

tealas New Member

FelicaLynn,

Is you father (your son's grandfather) diabetic? Did you have gestational diabetes? MODY diabetes conditions are "autosomal dominant" i.e. they are like brown eyes. If someone in the family has one bad copy of the gene, they normally express the diabetes by about age 25, but for some people they may not express it until they are 40 or 50 years old. This is how researchers were originally able to sequence the genes - by comparing members of the family without diabetes to members of the family who do have it.

If your son has MODY he would have to get it from you or your husband, and one of you would likely have shown evidence of at least mild diabetes.

This site has a good write up on MODY: http://projects.exeter.ac.uk/diabetesgenes/

-Teala