advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Costco sugar free chocolates ???

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mjtjmcouch, Apr 20, 2009.

1. mjtjmcouch

mjtjmcouch Approved members

I was at costco and they have sugar free chocolate bars that have 17-19 grams of carbs but the package says it only has 2 net carbs there is only 1gm of fiber. He said that it affects type 2's differently than type 1's. It contains masitol (sp?) as the sweetener.

Anyone know anything about this?

2. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Do you mean mannitol, or maltitol? Sometimes people still spike from sugar alcohols, which is what that is. We were taught to count half of the sugar alcohol as carbs.

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

If it is "Sugar alcohol" that is listed under the carb count then you can deduct 1/2 the carbs, as only about 1/2 of then are actually absorbed. Be warned that some get crampping and other digestive issues with these sweetners.

4. lynn

lynn Approved members

That much sugar alcohol would have Nathan runny to the bathroom in less than a half an hour!!

5. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

Why not buy the real thing? Chocolate is so slow absorbing that Abby often times goes low from a candy bar bolus.
    Have you tasted it? Horrible IMO.

6. mjtjmcouch

I don't plan on buying it I was mostly curious about the guy saying it affects type 1 &2 differently.

7. lynn

lynn Approved members

I think it may affect type 1 & 2 differently. My mom eats sf chocolate often and doesn't have negative effects from it (aside from the aforementioned bathroom issues;)) She is only on oral medication, no insulin. A regular candy bar causes her to be high many hours later. She about had a heart attack when I bought Nathan a Reese's PB cup!

8. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

Beware of sugar alcohol. It affects everyone differently, and it can lead to a seriously upset tummy.

We've found it's just easier to let Emma have plain chocolates and then bolus for a known quantity.

9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Sugar alcohols always spike Abby, so we avoid most sugar free stuff. It's just not worth having to deal with the highs later. For her, if she was to eat a whole sf candy bar, it would be the equivalent of eating a box of Ex-lax! SF is really rough on young tummies.

10. mjtjmcouch

Thanks all. I wasn't about to buy the chocolate mainly because I agree with thought of just having reg. chocolate, but also because the guy was so annoying and had an attitude that bordered on agressive (mean).

11. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

I hate those aggressive Costco sampler guys!!

Someone beat me to it, but in a nutshell, xlax is cheaper than sugar free chocolate, probably tastes the same and has the same effects.

I thought I noticed that there were the same carbs in s/f and regular chocolate???

Be careful of net carbs and here is why. Fiber is powerful, at least for us. Any fiber over 5 grams at one time, I have to subtract it from the carb amount or we have lows. Just last week I forgot and gave him high fiber bread and sure enough. lows.