advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cost of testing?

Discussion in 'MODY' started by januaryblue, Apr 29, 2010.

1. januaryblue

januaryblue Approved members

I'm curious if anyone else had to pay out of pocket for the MODY testing. Our doctor said it will cost about $200-300, but I noticed on another website someone said $5000 :eek:. We are only testing for three genes. We are still waiting for the paperwork and the kit. I'm just curious if anyone else has experience and can let me know an estimate of what it cost them.

2. redcurls3

redcurls3 Approved members

Do you have insurance? I think the cost for Monogenic Neonatal Testing with our son was around $2000 from Athena Diagnostics. But our insurance paid the whole thing. I have never seen a bill for it. You may want to call your insurance company and ask them about it. I know they wouldn't pay for my husband and I to be tested when I was pregnant with Katie, but we ended up finding the University of Chicago study and they were doing the testing for free. Not sure if there are any studies going on for MODY. Let me do some research and get back to you. But that may be the way to go if you don't have insurance or insurance won't cover it.

3. januaryblue

Thank you for your reply. We have insurance, but the doctor said he didn't think our insurance would cover the testing. It would be great if they did. I guess only time will tell, I was just curious if anyone had paid out of pocket and what they paid.

I appreciate you responding, this isn't the most happening place on CWD. :cwds:

4. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

I paid $500 a gene type I believe. but I'm cdn. and we paid out of pocket. I don't think we tested for all the MODY genes

5. januaryblue

We are supposed to be testing 3, I hope it's not $1500. It's been over a week and I am still waiting to hear from the doctor about the kit they are supposed to send. I think I'll call them on Monday...waiting is so hard, but I guess we do a lot of it when it comes to labs and results. :)

6. januaryblue

So we finally got the paperwork from the lab...For the full MODY evaluation we were quoted $$1,642.50 (and we were told this includes a discount).

I think our doctor wants to only send us for MODY 3 testing, so it should end up being less. Crazy! The quote from the lady from the lab was, "Its my experience that usually the test with the discount is still too much for the patient."

Since I last posted Samantha has been put on insulin, but her doctors said they still want to pursue MODY testing since she's not following a typical pattern.

7. januaryblue

In case anyone is interested-we were told the full panel without financial help was around $5000.00. MODY 3 the one our doctor really wanted Samantha tested for was $1000 without the financial assistance.

They wanted us to get this done until about a week ago. Her numbers are going up a bit, but only after eating. Her fasting numbers are always perfectly normal, usually in the 80's. They said this could be a sign of MODY, or she is just in a really strong honeymoon, but since she is going up more often they told us to save our money and see how it goes for a while.

8. redcurls3

redcurls3 Approved members

Have you checked into the University of Chicago studies? The Kovler Diabetes Center is doing genetic testing for all types of Monogenic genes. I'm pretty sure it's free to participate and they will contact your doctor with results. Couldn't hurt to try.

http://kovlerdiabetescenter.org/registry/mody-registry