- advertisement -

cost of prescriptions

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Brookiesworld, Jul 1, 2010.

1. mischloss

mischloss Approved members

We are also on CVS Caremark. I notice that once we meet some magic deductible for the year then our co-pays go down from like $30 per script to $8 for most scripts. I pay way less for the latter part of the year. I just met our yearly like 2 weeks ago.

All our pump supplies are through a durable medical company so it doesn't count through CVS.

And yes, the first time you get the "laundry list" of supplies and scripts out of the hospital it is a shock. We paid about $500 for everything...Now I just pick and choose the things we need and use the most and the things that we never use. For example, they always had a script for that diarhea and neasia (sorry can't spell that!) suppository. I got it the first time and never renewed it afterwards, never used it. And yes the Glucogon's run you high as well. Thank God never had to use them, but need to send with son to school each year and keep one at home.

Our main expenditures each month are insulin and test strips....

2. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

3. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Our copay for every script is $30, except strips which are $50. I had to switch to mail-order so I could pay the one-month copay for a 90-day supply. That's the cheapest option for me. I spend about $900/year on diabetes supplies.

Others have suggested A Plus - give them a call and see if they work with your insurance (they don't take mine). Also, depending on your state laws, you may be able to use coupons for some items. And Freestyle has a program that helps save on strips as well (can't use that here in MA either :rolleyes:).

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

grants from united heath care, even if your not insured by United.

i thought i would post a link to something i ran across.

https://www.myuhc.com/

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  5. chammond

chammond Approved members

Thanks for posting this. I looked at the criteria, and even though we do not meet most financial guidelines for assistance, we do meet it for this. I may apply for help with pump supplies.

6. zoohouse3

zoohouse3 Approved members

We pay a $60 copay for everything except pump supplies, once Rachel's $2400 deductible has been met. Pump supplies are a 20% copay after deductible. Let me say that refilling the insulin at the beginning of the year before we meet the ded. was almost $1200!

7. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

We are very blessed. My husband lost his job in October of last year and I put the kids on our state insurance - All Kids. Coverage started in January of this year and DS was dx three days later! They have a limit of $500 out of pocket per family so now that we have hit that, everything is free until next year :)

8. heamwdevine

heamwdevine Approved members

We were having to pay ~$400 or so a month at first but PA has state medical assistance for children with a chronic condition regardless of income until they are 21 I believe. I had to do a bunch of paperwork, but CHOP helped me through all the steps. Now I just have to send in our taxes and paystubs every year to renew even though it is not based on income. Now things are free for the kids, but not for Eric or I. We still have enormous co-pays, but it is a huge help for the kids to not have any.

9. jacobandhannah

jacobandhannah Approved members

We have caremark also. we have to pay 20% also but there is a max per prescription. It is $60 for preferred and $90 for non-preferred. We tried to get All kids insurance, we qualify by income but since the kids are already covered under my insurance we can't sign them up. You have to be without insurance for 3 months before they will approve you. There is no way we can chance taking Jacob off insurance for three months. As far as I know there are no other options for us in Alabama.

10. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

Yea, the only way they waive that waiting period with All Kids is if you lose your insurance (which happened when DH lost his job) - then it starts the month after you apply. Of course BCBS messed us up - they told All Kids we were still insured AFTER the insurance had been cancelled by his old job!
    So we had to re-apply and wait another month. But it's all good now :)

11. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

Our insurance thru my husband is $3700 deductible, 20% co-pay. We were spending about $500 per month initially on Dwhen you include that at least $2500 of that deductible was going straight for D care, plus the $400 per month we pay to have that insurance, plus healthcare for the other 4 members of the family. We did pick up Michigan's Children's Special Healthcare insurance, which is billed thru the Medicaid program, but there is no income limit here. Your premium is based on your income and your family size. So it is worth it for some and not for others. For us it helped us a lot because if it went thru the primary and went to the deductible and CSHC picked it up, it was part of our deductible that we didn't have to pay at all. That saved us some serious $$. Plus, if she was hospitalized it for D it would cover the co-pays for that. Gives us some peace of mind. It covers 200 test strips/month (we use more, they go thru our primary plan), insulin, pump supplies, glucagon, and lancets in addition to her appointments with the endo. They pay whatever our insurance doesn't pay, including deductible and co-pay costs. They do not pay for CGMS. I know every state is different, but make sure you look into your state's program carefully.

12. Brookiesworld

Brookiesworld Approved members

thanks so much for all of this information I am going to look into some of the sites you all mentioned. i tried our states medicaid and we didnt qualify, but the do have a program for disabled children i am going to try to see if we can get her qualified under that program, here is hoping:):)

13. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

Interesting. We have a Blue Cross PPO through the state of Texas and we can get everything except insulin through A-Plus. We get test strips, pump supplies, skin-tac wipes, pen needles, syringes, glucagon. The only thing we have to get a pharmacy is insulin.

Our insulin copays are $25 x 3rx's each month.
    $25 for 3 vials of Novolog for Connor
    $25 for 2 boxes Novolog pens for dh
    $25 for 1 box Lantus pens for dh

14. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

We were really lucky! We had great insurance and at the time when Reann was dx'd , all copays were between $5 & $15 a month. That included as much insulin and as many strips as we needed. Glucagon was $5 for each. Istill have that insurance as my back up to Medicare, copays have gone up a bit--now between $5 and $25, but the more expensive are for other things than D supplies (for me). Reann is on her own now and I think her copays are $30 each.