- advertisement -

Cost of diabetes care?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Artgirl, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Artgirl

Artgirl Approved members

The hospital gave us enough supplies to get through a month of diabetes, so I finally picked up some things, meds, strips and more needles today and omg, even with a health plan everything came to close to75 dollars....this is crazy considering this is for life. Do you all have ways of cutting back on the cost of this? We are new to diabetes and any info would help.

2. blufickle

blufickle Approved members

Yes it is expensive. Thankfully you have insurance. Think of those who don't. You can check out different places. I've heard that Wal-Mart has cheaper strips and things. Other than that, I don't know what to say. I've been a juvenile onset or type 1 since 1965. When I was diagnosed, nothing was a prescription, everything was purchased over the counter. Then again, things weren't as expensive as they are now. I don't know if you're stuck with the insurance plan you have, or if you can change it. Some insurances are better than others with prescriptions. Good luck.

3. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

You might be able to go through your insurance's mail order pharmacy and get a three month supply for a lower copay. For example, I can pay $25 a month for insulin or $50 for a 3 month supply if I use a mail order pharmacy. $75 for a month of supplies is pretty good though and I don't think you will fine many people paying less than that with private insurance.

Also flexible spending accounts are great and once you have a few months of experience with diabetes you will know how much you are spending and can calculate how much to put in for next year if your employer offers that option.

4. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I'd venture a guess that most parents on this Forum, even those with excellent health insurance, pay a heck of a lot more than $75.00 per month for insulin and other diabetes supplies.

5. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

Check the manufacturers' websites for copay discount cards. We use one for Novolog & Levemir & for test strips. They help reduce your copays, & most are renewable. Also, make sure all of your supplies are in your insurance formulary.

6. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

That's about the going rate. My supplies runs about $60/month. One thing you can do is ask for scripts to be written for a bit more than actual needs. Then you can develop a safety net in case a storm or travel prevents you from getting to a pharmacy, or insulin seems to be "bad" and once you get a cushion of supplies you might not need to fill the scripts quite every month.

7. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Yes. Me too. $75/month is a bargain from my perspective. Especially when you have to hit a deductible that's several thousands of dollars before insurance kicks in.

8. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We stopped for supplies on the way home from the hospital and the copays alone on the multiple prescriptions were $170. In the beginning, it was emotionally hard to see three months of supplies arrive when we started on the mail-pharmacy, but now I am thankful for each order that arrives and whatever stash I can manage to build. Which reminds me....top of the to-do list for tomorrow!

9. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Oh, another thing you can do, for 2016 if you still have time, and 2017 if not, is see if your employer offers flex spending accounts. Then you can have money put away pre-tax to save for medical expenses and get refunded from that account throughout the year.

10. DiabetesMama

DiabetesMama Approved members

We pay an average of $700-$1000 a month for his supplies. We have good insurance and pay out of a HSA account, but we had major sticker shock the first time we picked up his supplies. We have to meet a deductible of $5,000 before they help us out any. After we hit that, we only pay 20%. We love the end of the year because we try to stockpile some stuff. But even then, they only allow so much to be purchased. We do the best we can of trying to be thrifty and making things last, but it is still a lot of money! We live out in the country and we do try to stock pile before the winter comes because if we get snow or ice, they don't salt our road until all other major roads are salted. It seems horrible to charge people for something that is life saving when other things are covered by insurance that are elective. But what do we do? Anyway, we feel everyone's pain.