- advertisement -

correction factor, and total insulin doses.

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by Mrs. Russman, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Mrs. Russman

Mrs. Russman Approved members

It's been the last year that we have inched up to 60 units Lantus. We've been at the 1:4 carb ratio for longer than that. I can't wrap my mind around any lower carb ratio. I don't think he has a particularly high fat diet, but it is def. a high carb diet, but still with-in reccommended carb intake. (45% to 65% of calories from carbs)

Mattsmum, I know boys can keep growing into their twenties...

2. wilf

wilf Approved members

The thing that has me thinking chronic lows and rebounds is the combination of huge amounts of insulin and an A1C of 13. He is getting twice as much insulin as would normally be needed for a kid his size, so one would think he'd be chronically low. Instead he has an A1C similar to what you'd expect in someone missing many of their shots. :confused:

3. Mrs. Russman

That is a more accurate description of his A1c. Mom and Dad pretty much checked out for 6 months, only helping when directly asked. Bad Idea!!!

When the A1c came back so high, I took over completely. I watch all checks, count all carbs, figure all doses and over see all injections. I am working on transitioning it back to more of his responsibility.

This past week he was averaging 150 units a day. We are starting to see some mild lows in the afternoon. But his meter average for the week was still 211.

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

An average of 211 should make for a far lower a1C than 13, if he has now been testing consistently. :)

5. Mrs. Russman

That is from 6 or more tests a day. I am looking forward to a greatly improved A1C.

6. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

When someone with type 1 or type 2 diabetes gets very insulin resistant, does it help to go very low carb for awhile? Does that help lower insulin resistance? I don't know for sure, that's why I'm asking.

Obviously much less insulin would be needed on a low carb diet, but does that translate into less insulin resistance as well?

I suppose it really doesn't matter unless someone is WILLING to try a low carb diet.

7. Mrs. Russman

9 days of intense management by mom
    Average daily dose is still around 150 units
    but 7 day average of blood sugars in now 189! No true lows, he starts feeling low in the low 80's high 70's.

Insuring insulin is being injected for all foods eaten, and carbs are counted more accurately, plus increase in correction (what started this thread) is helping.

I am seeing a slight decrease in his appetite. makes sense, more glucose getting into cells, cells don't signal they are 'empty' as often.

I am suspecting that over the next few weeks we will be decreasing insulin some.

Jacob's dad, I wonder the same thing, but I also know that Ben would never agree to even a moderately low carb diet. (and besides I don't think I could afford it)

Thanks everyone for you input.

8. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

Your son maybe going through growth spurts and I remember during that time my daughter was insulin resistant.

We use different formulas but same concept.
    400 divided by TDD = I:C

1500 divided by TDD = ISF
    I have seen 1700 and 1800 used too.

When my DD numbers are out of whack and I mean lows & highs roller coaster, one or two days of limited carbs does the trick to get her back on track.

Last night she ate a grilled chicken with a salad..today all her numbers are back in range. It has been a long crazy week of weird numbers for us.

:)