- advertisement -

Correcting at night

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by zell828, Sep 23, 2008.

1. zell828

zell828 Approved members

Do you believe that if you see a food spike and you correct it that it will cause a low with the correction or does correcting it actually stop the fast drop that happens with spikes and bring it down more slowly?

Example, I usually always correct anything over 200 overnight. I have noticed that Bio Mom will leave it and not correct it and then SD will drop big time sometimes and be lower (not low, just lower, like from 220 to 140) by morning. That's probably why she doesn't correct SD because she is afraid of that drop. But I wonder why this drop does not happen to us then? If I give insulin when I see a high number, do you think it possibly counter reacts and brings the spike down right away and slower, and then the big drop ultimately doesn't happen? I have never had a low after correcting a high number or a big drop like that since I usually correct. One would THINK that logically if you correct and the spike drops too, then a person would go low because both would be pulling the BG down. However, that isn't usually what happens. So it just got me to wondering then if correcting actually prevents the big drop from happening. What do you think?

I hope I am making sense here. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  2. NatesMom

NatesMom Approved members

So ironic that you would post this today.....Last night Nate had dinner at 7pm....lower fat....at 9pm he was 82. Because he still had 2 hours of insulin left we juiced him 15carbs. 2am....261....:eek:WTH? I decided to correct and gave him 1 unit of novo....his ISF is between 90-100. 4:30am....58:eek: He dropped 200 points in a little over 2 hours. Gave him 15carbs of juice and he was 95 at 5am. At 7:15am this morning he was 68. Crazy night! Can find no explanation for the 200 point drop. He didn't have football or any large amount of exercise. Obviously I was too aggressive with the correction! I felt like such a schmuck for putting him at risk of a major hypo!!! Next time, I will only correct a half......

3. cassie

cassie Approved members

We only correct after 300 at night and sometimes not even then. My daughter is very sensitive at night.

4. zell828

zell828 Approved members

We do anything over 200. My SD isn't real sensitive. Her ISF is basically the same day/night. I used to be timid with correcting, but I am not so much anymore.

5. aishlingt

aishlingt Approved members

I normally check my daughters blood at about 3.00am, so if shes high before bed, over 200 I would wait till then to correct. 9 out of ten times she has come down (120) so correction would have made her too low. If she is over 300 at bedtime(very rarely) I would correct it and check it a little while later.
    :)

6. linda

linda Approved members

We do the same, only correct at 3 am check. Em is sensitive and it just is too dangerous to give insulin to go to sleep. This is the "norm" of course, if somthing is brewing (sick:() or site bad, then on the flip side can rise quick. This has only happened maybe 2x since dxd.

I feel more comfortable with a higher # at night;)

7. wilf

wilf Approved members

I am maybe not understanding you. You say that when biomom doesn't correct SD goes from 220 to 140, but when you correct you don't see that drop..

So what do you see? SD staying at 200? Some more info would help me understand.. :eek:

8. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

This is a honeymoon issue :cwds: Your Islets May Vary

9. zell828

zell828 Approved members

When we correct, she will drop what 1/2 unit drops her (35-40) or one unit (70-80). This is what her ISF is day/night. She is right on target according to the correction. So I am wondering why she wouldn't be dropping more if she has the correction going on with the spike dropping too? It just seems strange that every time BM gets a spike she gets the drop, but we never see that. That's why I was wondering whether it had something to do with the fact that we correct. Could that possibly be eliminating the spike drop by correcting? I know logically a person thinks if you correct on top of a spike drop that the person would drop even more...

10. wilf

wilf Approved members

I assume you're measuring enough on nights when you correct (ie. 1.5 and 3 hours after the correction) to be sure she isn't going low and rebounding?

11. zell828

zell828 Approved members

Yes, I do. I always check after I correct during the night. On nights I have to correct over 200, I usually am checking her 2-3 times a night so I can watch exactly how much she is dropping and what is going on.

12. wilf

wilf Approved members

Well, what an interesting puzzle! :rolleyes:

Are types of foods and amounts of exercise and bedtimes similar at both places?

13. Rusty

Rusty Approved members

Thats what i was thinking. depending on what type of bedtime snack is given can have effect on how fast overnight drop may be. I always give milk, seems to hold nice for us.

14. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I was thinking the same thing, honeymoon...And, since it's working for the Bio mom that she comes down on her own, I would skip the correction at your house too, skipping an extra shot is not a bad thing. Sleep for both of you is good too ;)

We only correct if Seth is over 300 and he hasn't had any exercise, then, if I do correct it's only down to 200.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  15. zell828

zell828 Approved members

I thought this at first too, Wilf. We both try to give protein at night (whether it is peanutbutter or milk or meat).

The thing that is really puzzling is that back before we corrected at night we used to see the spike/drop too at times, but now we don't with correcting. It sure is interesting!

16. zell828

zell828 Approved members

But she doesn't always come down on her own either. This is sporadic with the dropping. Sometimes she sticks and then she will wake up in the high 200's. That's why we figured it was food spiking rather than the honeymoon. Not good as the high number ruins her whole day then :( That's why we started to correct then at night and we suggested to BM to start correcting because that morning number within range is important we feel, but she hasn't done it yet. Obviously she doesn't feel comfortable. We correct anything over 150 during the day and 200 at night at our end (unless I know it is an adrenaline high). We even talked to the endo about this and she told us to correct. What are the odds that we just aren't getting spiking on our end anymore like BM gets? Seems odd.

Heather, don't worry about the extra shot. My SD sleeps through it and doesn't feel it. She sleeps through everything lol We go to the pump in a few weeks too and we want to be aggressive with correcting. Oh, also, our endo told us last visit that honeymoon was over (and we don't see dropping during the day like this anymore like we did back when we clearly were on in the honeymoon), so go figure.

17. Lee

Lee Approved members

Well, she is probably still in honeymoon, so her pancreas is still able to kick out a little extra to combat those spikes. Or - it could very well just be a fluke that is different between both houses and you will never have an answer.

For example, my house - her highest basal is at 9:30 pm - and I mean it is a BIG increase. Dad's house - his highest is at 3am...Why? Who knows? but it works for both houses...

NOW I could go out of my way and try and find a reason, or blame it on the fact that Dad doesn't night test, or that I give her a snack a little later, or she goes to bed earlier at Dad's, or that I have 1 dog, and Dad's has two dogs...but it all boils down to - what works at your house works for you, and what works at her house works for her. :)o)

ETA: Just saw your above post - BM obviously is not as comfortable as your house is. I really think you are giving yourself unnecessary anxiety here. Her waking up at 200 probably doesn't even make her feel bad. Let BM wait a few more days to see the pattern. She is obviously not comfortable correcting at night, and it is her house, so you kinda got to let it go and let her do her own thing.

18. zell828

zell828 Approved members

Lee, yeah, we don't say anything to her other than the one time. We do what we want on our end and she does on her end. It really isn't unnecessary anxiety for us. I just correct when I need to, end of story. Even when she is within range I watch the numbers closely so it's just me and how I like to stay on top of things. I am one that strives for the tighter control.

I was just wondering with this spiking/correcting. I thought it was interesting. It makes a person think. That's all. It almost seems like the extra insulin is preventing the drop as she just goes down what the correction is and that is it.

19. Lee

Lee Approved members

It does - and I really think it is the honeymoon, or the timing and the difference of the protein/snack. We have been doing this for 2 1/2 years -and doing the dual house thing is enough to make you go insane! We all want our kids to be in top notch form all the time, but things happen, and things are different, and food and exercise is different, so who knows...

20. zell828

zell828 Approved members

Yeah, it's hard to say. I just really found that interesting. Usually a person thinks if you correct on top of a spike/drop that you would go low. It's not happening here with us. Either that or we are just really lucky and never had a spike/drop in months....but again what are the odds of that?