- advertisement -

Cord blood banking?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by polly, Oct 30, 2012.

1. polly

polly Approved members

We are expecting our third child soon and have heard opposing viewpoints on banking cord blood for potential treatments for our oldest son with type 1. Anyone with insight on this topic? Thanks!

2. polly

polly Approved members

Specifically, our endo did not recommend banking cord blood as he feels like this technology is at least 10 years away (if then) and there is no research showing that the sample would even be viable after that length of time, much less used for a sibling. However, a friend that also has a kiddo with type 1 was strongly advised by her endo to utilize this technology. Anyone had a similar discussion with their medical team? Thanks!

3. Kimby

Kimby Approved members

I was expecting when Andrew was diagnosed in 2008, so we asked the same question. Our endo didn't feel like there was enough research at the time to recommend it. We did it anyway because of the advancements in other areas that we have a family history of like leukemia, brain cancer, etc. I wasn't sure it was rational, but I wanted tot do it at the time. It's like insurance. I hope we wasted our money, but it's good to have. It was easy. Ben is the only one of the kids that we did it for.

4. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

Many years ago (ten at least), I asked a very well known islet transplant surgeon for his opinion on cord blood banking. Prospects for using these cells seemed bright, but still years away back then. He said that if you had enough money that you would not miss it, then banking cord blood was probably a good idea, but that if you coundn't afford it not to worry about it because it was far from a sure bet.

5. PixieStix

PixieStix Approved members

I would have never considered this before but was 6 mo pregnant when DS was dx. It is probably unlikely that anything will come of it, but I decided to do it just in case. As Jeff said, I would not place your family in financial stress to do this, there is the initial cost plus annual fee. If you happen to be a healthcare worker, there is a discount if you ask. I don't recall the initial cost, but the annual fee for me is $95

6. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

7. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

Absolutely. If your financial situation is such that the costs are not expensive, it might be worth it just to insure against the emotional impact of not doing it and discovering some years later that there is value in that cord blood. My grandson was diagnosed one week after his only sibling was born and I wish it had been one week before so we could have had the choice.

8. Deal

Deal Approved members

A common theory is that by the time something meaningful and usable is developed with the assistance of cord blood the science to create stem cells using other existing cells will also be available.