- advertisement -

Controlling a child with diabetes is possible..A real experience from Cairo

Discussion in 'The Middle East' started by Mostafa, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Mostafa

Mostafa Approved members

Good day everybody, i'm here to give you some hope

I'm Dr Mostafa, i will shortly tell you about the story of my son with T1 DM
    my son was diagnosed as T1 DM when he was only 1 year and 3 months, of course it was a shock to the family but we accepted it and dealt with so quickly , Now he is 3 years and 3 months and he is controlled

His HBA1c history was 6.6, 6.9, 7.2 respectively

He was on Rapid insulin before each meal plus Insulatard 3 times per day, now he was shifted to Lantus instead of Insulatard

We also check his blood glucose 6 times per day
    He never experienced hypoglycemic come or DKA come before

He goes to KG and we trained his teacher about how to check his blood sugar, when to eat or stop eating..

Behind all of this a lot of efforts and money just to control this nasty disease, but so far we are happy to do it
    :D

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  2. selketine

selketine Approved members

Welcome to the forums - although I'm sorry about your son's diagnosis. My younger son also developed type 1 when he was very little - 26 months old. We also went to Lantus before going over to the pump - all still when he was 2 - and he is almost 11 years old now. It sounds like you are doing a wonderful job with his care!:cwds:

3. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

I am sure you will always find the energy to be so diligent. I am very happy to hear that you are doing so well - especially with such a young child. Welcome.

4. Mostafa

Mostafa Approved members

i have some bad news
    The last HBA1c of my son is 8.2!
    :(:(

5. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

3 years is still very young - an HbA1c around 8 is not terrible news at all! Many teenagers have levels of 12 / 13 and they are old enough to tell how they are feeling. With a 3 year old they don't even know if they are hot or cold sometimes. Don't be disheartened. It is information to help you look after your son not an exam. Many people would be happy to get an 8 at times. :)

6. Mostafa

Mostafa Approved members

Hi everybody

Hi everybody, how you doing?

I have good news about the last HbA1c check of my son. It's 6.5 :)
    Many thanks to my wife, my son's nursery and to Lantus

7. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Wonderful news! A lot of hard work goes into maintaining an HbA1c that low. Well done - and good to hear you are all doing well. :)

8. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Congratulations on the good news! It certainly takes a village, doesn't it!

9. Mostafa

Mostafa Approved members

Hi everybody. My son's latest HbA1c is 6.6%. We are still good, don't we? :victorious:

10. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Hello, Mostafa,

Welcome to CWD, or at least welcome for me as I didn't see your earlier posts.

My daughter was diagnosed when she was 4 and we've had A1cs ranging from 8.6 to 6.7 though for the longest time we were stuck at 7.3. The A1c is a very helpful tool but please don't get too caught up in it. There are many things that can influence an A1c and you know you can get a "good" A1c and still have not so good management, and you can have "good" management and a not so great A1c.

I like the saying that, "being type 1 is the least interesting thing about my kid". My kid plays guitar, field hockey and lacrosse, she loves animals and is a good student. She makes films and loves to ice skate... what about your boy? Who is he beyond his Type 1?

11. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Hello,

You seem to be very focused on the A1c as an indicator of if you are "good" or "bad". I think that is a mistake to think like that and may prove damaging to you and your son in the long run. I also don't think a child with Type 1 can have their disease "controlled". I think you manage it the best you can but, at least for me, there is never any real control. You are always going to get out of range blood glucose numbers. The A1c is always going to fluctuate and for 99% of the people will be higher than someone who doesn't have Type 1.

This is a very tough disease to live with. However, it is important to fit diabetes into your life and not fit your life into diabetes. I try and look at managing this disease holistically, taking into account the emotional, social and physical well being of my daughter and not just looking at the numbers.

Good Luck.

12. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

Hey good news on the tests! Even more impressive is you managed this through what seems much turmoil in your country over the past several years (based on the news I have read at least). Here is to keeping our kids healthy until they can cure this disease.

13. Mostafa

Mostafa Approved members

Thank you all for your support. i'm focusing on numbers may because i'm a doctor and i know as long as the numbers are good, the complications my be delayed, but you are absolutely right i should focus on other sides.

14. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Again, try and get away from numbers being "good" or "bad". Seriously, once your son is older it is going to be a problem. I understand it is hard not to get caught up in the numbers, I know I did in the beginning. And unfortunately, there is no guarantee that even if you have numbers that are in range, you will not see complications. There are people that have low A1c's that still get complications and there are people that have high A1c's that don't get complications. Being a doctor you know that the human body is a very complex organism and that it is not as simple as only having "good" numbers.

Good Luck.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014