- advertisement -

Continuous glucose monitoring

Discussion in 'Teens' started by Joshk2, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Joshk2

Joshk2 Approved members

Hello again.
    I am back into full force triathlon training, and loving it, missed it a ton while I stopped to regain control while being newly diagnosed. Its going fairly well, better than expected but as distances increase, I am getting more and more worried at my lows, and also over correcting. I don't bring my test stuff on my run because its to bulky, I will on the bike at time but its just so clunky.
    Basically I am wondering if anyone has tried/heard of anything bad or good about using a continuous glucose monitor for real time blood sugars, I feel it would really help to see the numbers and be able to correct only when needing to, compared to "just to be safe correcting" like I am doing now. But I would love to know if someone has tried one or know someone that uses one. Thanks!

2. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

My insurance doesn't cover them and my mom just didn't want to fight to get one (she didn't feel like I needed one) but I know atleast Rae and Malyssa use one.
    You can try talking to them and I think Rae would be a big help, I think she does that type of stuff too.
    Sorry I couldn't be of more help :(

3. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

Hi Josh, I have the minimed continous glucose monitor system (cgms). It is a wonderful tool once you get the hang of it. I have had mine for 1 year and 9 months. Pushing a button and seeing your bg trend is priceless. It isn't exactly what your bg is, there is a 20% variance but it gives you a good idea of where you are and where you are going. If you are dropping/rising by 20 one arrow will show up if dropping/rising by 40 2 arrows will show up. If you go out of your set range it will alarm until you stop it. My only problem is I don't usually hear it at night. My cgms has saved me from many bad lows that I wouldn't have caught and stop highs before they get way up there.
    Here are some links about minimeds cgms.
    http://www.minimed.com/products/guardian/index.html
    http://www.minimed.com/products/insulinpumps/components/minilink.html

I test before running. If I'm below 150 I have 20-30 gm snack then I head out. The cgms is nice when running or biking- just a quick look and you know if you need to do something. If I notice I'm dropping I head back home.

4. Joshk2

Joshk2 Approved members

Thats awesome to hear, the main thing that I was reading from people is that the reading isn't entirely accurate, but really I am not looking for a complete replacement from the regular testing. So its great to hear that you find it helpful. Really looking forward to monday, have an appointment, going to talk about a meter and possibly a pump. Also, do you have a mount for your bike for the meter itself or is it like a belt clip?

5. s0ccerfreak

The cgms does not replace testing, but may reduce it.
    I put everything in a seat bag. I take my one touch mini, phone, id, air heads, small frosting tubes, and typical bike stuff. Anothor option is to put your d supplies in a bike jersey. Depending on my starting bg I either take gatorade or propel in my water bottle.
    My cgms is integrated to my pump which has a belt clip. If you were to get just the cgms (not the pump), the receiver would come with a belt clip as well. Good luck at your appointment Monday, I have one on Monday as well.

6. Joshk2

Joshk2 Approved members

I never thought about airheads, they are slim, compact and would do the trick for lows on the go. My seat bag fell off on a ride some time ago, its time for a new one I suppose since my jersey can hold few supplies and such. One more question if your up to it ha, do you ever eat just regular power bars, prior to being diagnosed I lived on them while doing swimming and such, would always be eating one during school. Havn't tried one since though, and am a bit worried that it will completely send my blood sugar through the roof right before going out, or during.

Thanks for the replies by the way.

7. s0ccerfreak

No, I don't like power bars. I've done nutri bars, cliff bars, or gu packs. Here is another random idea spibelt You could use this for your supplies when running or biking. A lot
    of parents here use them for their kids pumps. I know triathletes that put their nutrition in them during races.

8. someone

someone Approved members

When I run, all I bring is my pump and sometimes a tube of glucose tablets. Airheads sound to me like a pain. I really wouldn't look forward to opening an airhead package when I'm low and in the middle of a run. Since I don't have trouble feeling lows, I don't use my continuous monitor when I'm exercising.

9. Leah

Leah Approved members

My cgm was a big help!!!

[​IMG]

Apidra - Week 2

[​IMG]

Apidra - Week 3.

[​IMG]

Apidra - Week 4

[​IMG]