advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Container to put a few strips in?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by *Shannon, Sep 2, 2009.

1. *Shannon

*Shannon Approved members

Does anyone use anything smaller than the typical strip vial to store just a few strips in? Janie wears her pump in a SPIbelt at school and usually crams her Multiclix and a vial of strips in the pocket. It fits, but its bulky. I'd like to put a few strips in a smaller container for just her time at school to cut down the bulk a bit.

I wonder about a small storage tin from the camping section of a store?

I should check The Container Store, also.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may work?

Thank you!

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

This may be way off base, but do you know those Listerine dissolving breath strips? The container is built to fit in your pocket. Maybe that would be something to try?

[​IMG]

3. *Shannon

Good suggestion, Chris. I have seen those and they probably would work. I'll check out the package at Wally World today. Thank you!

4. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

My son has used the small plastic memory card cases for cameras.

5. *Shannon

Perfect! I have a couple empties in our desk drawer. I have her trying it right now, making sure she can open it without strips flying everywhere.

6. angiej

angiej Approved members

This may not be helpful as I don't know if you get these in the US, but we use empty tic-tac containers (mini mint sweets)

7. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

It should be dark and not clear - so I would worry about the clear memory card cases. The strips are supposed to be kept in the dark

8. *Shannon

That's a good point, Nancy. Do you think the case being kept in her black SPIbelt pocket would offer enough darkness?

9. Rcj176

Rcj176 Approved members

Why do they have to be kept in the dark?

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I thought the test strip containers were specially lined with somethingorother. I know I've been told to not put them in any container other than the original one. (This is for the Accu-Chek strips.)

11. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I thought the strip containers were specially lined to keep strips sterile.

12. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

No... the containers have built-in dessicant to keep strips dry. They are not sterile.

13. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

The old BD test strip vials were really small and they would have the "drying stuff". I'm not sure they would fit every type of strip though.

14. *Shannon

I would only put four or five a day in the case for the time she's at school, so I don't think the time it's in the case would be too detrimental.

15. ADHDiabetic Mom

ADHDiabetic Mom Approved members

A sewing specialty store might have a needle case. I've seen antique ones, but don't know if anyone makes them anymore. They look like a thin, tiny prescription bottle, often made of metal or wood.

16. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

What about a metal container from an Altoids "gum" pack. I would think it would be about the right size, but wouldn't be clear.

The only thing I would be worried about was making sure it was very, very clean before I put any strips into it.
    Eileen

17. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

That's what I was thinking. I probably have some laying around here if you want me to check to see what size they are and send you a couple.