- advertisement -

Contact Detach Sets and Kindergarten

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Abbysmom, May 31, 2013.

1. Abbysmom

Abbysmom Approved members

Has anyone used contact detach sets during kindergarten. We are getting ready to start putting together a health plan for Abby. She will be entering kindergarten and insists on using the contact detach in her behind and refuses to try any other set. I am worried because last year she had one pull out in preschool when the tubing was pulled by another child accidentally and well they are very sharp.

I have a fear she will somehow end up losing a set and another child will get stuck and people will flip out, etc.

It's probably completely unjustified since that is the only set I have ever had pull out. Am I only one who has ever thought of this?

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I wouldn't worry about it. Thumb tacks are sharp, pencils are sharp, staples are sharp... if you ever have an issue have the school about "sharps" have them count all of those in the classroom and get back to you.

3. Charlotte'sMom

Charlotte'sMom Approved members

Charlotte has used the contact detach sets exclusively for the past couple years. She just finished her kindergarten year and we never had any problems, despite tubing often hanging out.

4. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I wouldn't worry but I would stick a piece of opsite flexifix (order on amazon) over the top of the part with the needle to hold it securely to the skin- cut a square about 1.5 by 1.5 inches, if you are concerned. I find it way more comfortable that way (I use sure-ts sometimes but they are the same) and it would be impossible for a kid to pull off. You can use unisolve wipes to remove it.

5. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

I personally don't use metal insets with my daughter because I feel that the flexible cannulas you definitely feel less ( I have worn both of them to make sure) buttt if she's comfortable with using those and doesn't want to switch, I wouldn't switch just based on the fact that it got pulled out once. Especially since she's didnt even do it, it was an accident. The nurse at her school should be educated on how to insert one if it gets pulled out so it should be taken care of within minutes of it getting pulled out... If you don't have a 504 being set up for her start of kindergarten, I would definitely get on that too.

My daughter uses the inset 30s just in case you might be wondering.

6. Abbysmom

Abbysmom Approved members

Thank you

Just need so reassurance, I think

7. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Totally agree. That is exactly what we do. DS will be starting kindergarten in the fall, and he wears Sure-Ts, too. I would never consider switching for that reason (I hadn't even considered it!).

8. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Yes, its not like your DD would be running around with a needle hanging out all day. It will be taken care of quickly.

So would you have the nurse put the same site back in or have her change to a new one? I'm asking because the other day DS was putting in a sure-T and he put it in crooked. We pulled it out and reinserted, then taped it on. Obviously not possible with a cannula, but I thought it wouldn't hurt with the metal needle. But we're not technically supposed to do that, right?

9. mamateach

mamateach Approved members

FYI

My 3 year old uses contact detach sites and we are fortunate to have only had a few come out. The other day our nurse educator showed us that we can make a very loose knot in the tubing between the two contacts before we stick them down. It really does make the tubing lay flatter and makes it shorter and less likely to get pulled out. As long as it is loose and not pulled taut before sticking them down, there should be no issues with insulin delivery. Maybe this will help!?