- advertisement -

Constant weak signals on butt sites

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lizzy731, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

I find I have to use Bethany's arm all the time this summer rather than her butt for the sensor insertion. I was told by Medtronic that it could be sweat that interferes with the connection of the transmitter. I am posting to see if this happens with other Medtronic CGM users? I dont remember this happening to such extremes last summer. We are getting our Dexcom tomorrow and I am praying I don't run into the same problem.

2. Momontherun

Momontherun Approved members

We just started using the medtronic cgm and the butt seemed positional and the back of the arm worked great for 6 days. I think I am going to be saving his tricep area for cgm I am also finding that pump sites are not lasting ths summer as long.

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We used Jack's upper bottom for 5.5 years with no issues like the one you're describing. Could it be that it just gets bumped around more back there?

I really think you're going to like the Dexcom enough that it won't be an issue anymore. If they could convince me, they can convince anyone to make the switch. ;)

ETA: The sweat explanation seems like the sort of utter nonsense I have come to expect from the MM CGM helpline. If sweat is an issue, why aren't baths or swimming an issue? :rolleyes:

4. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

We're not having that problem with the MM CGM and bum sites.

5. Lizzy731

I do think its plausible that sweat can develop under the tape...I don't think water can get in the way I tape it up!! However the connection should be secure enough to keep liquid out! I inserted this one on Friday when I haven't used her butt in over 3 weeks and have had constant restarts and weak signals ever since. At this point I don't care anymore as we are getting the dex tomorrow. I am looking forward to it tremendously.

I have used her butt all year long with no issues...this summer I have had no luck!

6. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

If it weren't for the American version of the Veo being submitted through the FDA, I would honestly wonder if Medtronic is deliberately trying to destroy their CGM division by the worthless helpline, the price gouging of MySentry, etc. If Enlite doesn't come out soon, I wonder how many users will stay faithful? We sure don't regret switching at all!

7. Mish

Mish Approved members

hell, we got weak signals constantly. For the most random crap. Days with Y in them? weak signal. Rain drops? weak signal. Rolled over wrong? Weak signal. Pump 2" from his sensor? weak signal.

8. coeen

coeen Approved members

We always got weak signals on the bum. I almost gave it up. Then I bribed him to let me try the back of his arm and we have been using them ever since. I rarely get weak signals or have issues with the back of his arms. Good luck!!

9. Lizzy731

Well it's good to know I'm not alone in this! Thanks for the responses

10. Lizzy731

How about now with the Dex?

11. MomofSweetOne

Almost never and that's WITHOUT the 40 minute fill-in. The only time we really see lost data is when the sensor is on its last leg.

12. Lizzy731

What sites do you use? We are getting ours today and I would like to use her other cheek!

13. MomofSweetOne

My daughter has actually decided she likes her sensor inserted on her lower back, above her underwear line. It's out of her way and leaves arms for pods. With the Medtronic, we only used the butt.

You will be delighted with the difference in damage from the Dexcom. No more big holes that take weeks to heal. The insertion marks are like pin pricks. There's no comparison.

I think you'll really like it. My daughter would never, ever go back to a Sof-sensor.

14. Lizzy731

Thanks! We are excited!

15. Ti'sMom

Ti'sMom Approved members

Same here! Arms are awesome! My problem now is the MySentry doesn't ever find the pump. It's pretty much useless lately and I even spent about 40 minutes on the phone with Medtronic the other day. It started with 'unable to find pump' as soon as I'd turn on the volume to go to bed, even though it works all day. Now it just doesn't find the pump at all. So frustrating! :eek:

16. Mish

Mish Approved members

It's like night and day. Almost no problems with the dex.

17. Lizzy731

What's the 40 minute fill in? Do you mean the 2 hour start up?

18. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

She means the 40 minute memory in the transmitter. Where it will fill in past readings as long as you come into range within 40 minutes of the missed reading(s).

19. Lizzy731

Ahh ok thanks...I actually saw a skip in readings when the sensor was out of range for a few minutes