- advertisement -

Consistently low after pasta

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Nancy in VA, May 19, 2008.

1. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

OK, we have had enough incidents of extreme lows after pasta that I'm convinced that its the pasta. We had chicken parmesan with pasta tonight and I know the carb count is accurate because I weigh it uncooked and count the pieces

At 2 1/2 hours, she was 44! :eek:

So, can someone who has been doing this longer than me give me an idea - should I perhaps use a different I:C ratio for pasta? How should I prevent these pasta lows?

2. ctwetten

ctwetten Approved members

I haven't been able to understand why it happens, but I always go low after eating pasta as well. I've started bolusing only 2/3rds of the insulin that I should take, and then correcting later if I need to. In reality I just don't eat as much pasta, 'cause it's such a pain and I hate going low.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I would try doing a combo bolus before changing I:C.
    What happens with Abby is that it takes much longer to process, so soon after we see a drop because the insulin is hitting the body with nothing to absorb it, and then later a high because the insulin has already gone through.

We do a 60/40 combo over 2.5 hours and that seems to work for us. Also, when at home we use the Barilla whole grain pasta as it seems to not effect bg's as much, and no severe lows.

4. Nancy in VA

We don't have the highs after, so I'd be hesitant to do the combo bolus.

What surprised me today is that she only had a 1/2 serving of pasta, but a complete chicken patty (12 carbs), so with all that protein, I expected it to help with the low, but no luck

5. jwk's mom

jwk's mom Approved members

We have also noticed Jake go low after eating pasta, I wasn't sure what was going on. I had checked and rechecked the carb count. I thought I was doing something wrong. He has started to just avoid pasta, which he really likes. Has anyone found a food that can be served with pasta to help with the low?

6. Aidan'sMom

Aidan'sMom Approved members

Aidan has never had a "pasta low", but then again he is a toddler and only eats a few certain types so we haven't had much experimentation with pasta. He eats the noodles in all of the Campbells character soups (which are whole grain) and the type of pasta I buy him for spaghetti is called Tigger Tails (which is also whole grain), made by Heartland. I also weigh it dry. It amazes me how different all of the situations I read about on these threads are!!:confused:

7. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

I don't know if pasta can be bolused for with consistently good results. It appears to be a real trouble food for Liv.

Sometimes we can normal bolus and no problems and other times we see lows, then highs hours later. Makes me wonder about how much of the pasta is being chewed and digested soon; while the rest of the pasta is swallowed in larger pieces and is digested much later.

I have been experimenting we square waving pasta and we've had great results with a half hour square wave and only bolusing for 80% of the actual carbs---and then 2 days later--same/exact meal--it didn't work well at all.:rolleyes:

8. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

pasta weighs different before and after cooking.. could this be the problem? do you measure it after its cooked? if you do this, then I'd extend out the bolus longer... are you using wheat pasta? when we use that, it takes extra long for Kaylee to absorb it (we actually don't use it anymore, but we saw NO spiking after wheat pasta..)

9. Nancy in VA

We weigh before and we use the carbs per serving on the box - its usually about 54g in a serving (uncooked) for around 42 carbs. We weigh to that amount and then count the pieces (for example, its 23 pieces of Rigatoni but 100 strands of Vermicelli). Then we cook it and count out her serving.

We use San Giorgio pasta.

Someone above mentioned "Square Wave". How does that work on the Minimed (we use Animas). Is it partial upfront and then more later - how does it do it (so that I can see if we can duplicate it on the Animas)

10. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

Kelton has lows two hours after eating any type of pasta, however, two to three hours after that he will have a spike..It does not matter if it is whole wheat pasta or regular pasta..

Pasta is something I have yet to figure out.:confused:

11. Carly

Carly Approved members

Pasta is so hard to get right. I'd always drop in the first hour and then after that my numbers gradually climb into the mid - high teens so I'd have numbers ranging from around 70-90 to 270-330
    Now I do a square wave bolus over 6 hours (no dual wave just square wave) which my educator helped me set up -she had me do a normal bolus for 3 pasta meals and then email the numbers to her. I don't drop anymore, just a slow climb to approx 200-250. Not perfect, but as good as I'd like w/pasta.

12. Scotty

Scotty Approved members

We have been having trouble with pasta also. Scott loves pasta and I really dont want to avoid it. Last night we had pasta and we tried the dual wave because we also needed a small correction. Previously we had done square waves with mixed results. We had better results last night for a change. We gave 3.1 units up front and 4.1 units over 2 hours. We still saw a rise but it was after 2am and no higher than 10 (180) so I consider that a success. However I think next time we will extend the square wave part longer.

13. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

My feeling with Pasta is the carb factor with uncooked is about .70 and cooked it is more like .20. Seems to work for me. Hope that helps.

14. Mary Lou

Mary Lou Approved members

I hesitate to say this outloud....okay, type it, and bring on a jinx, but pasta is not a problem food for us. :D I don't know why. Maybe it's a YDMV thing, I don't know. In case it helps, here's what I believe to be true about bolusing for pasta:

It does matter how long you cook the pasta.

the "softer" the pasta, the more water it absorbs and the lower the number of carbs per ounce.

Our carb counts are (from the Calorie King book, but I don't think it is online):

Firm/Al Dente (8 - 10 minutes of cooking, usually): 8.5 carbs per cooked ounce
    Medium (11 - 13 minutes): 7.5 carbs per cooked ounce
    Tender (14 0 20 mins): 7 carbs per cooked ounce

We use these rates for all pasta types, and generally eat a mixed whole grain/regular grain pasta (a golden box, forget the name).

I no longer serve a big giant bowl of pasta, now it's a smaller part of the meal, along side veggies or salad, and protein.

We are also huge fans of the fresh tortellini/ravioli from the produce/deli section of the grocery store. Those have never bothered the kids at all, even when all they are having is a big bowl! :cwds:

Pasta is also pretty low on the GI scale, so we only pre-bolus by 10 - 15 minutes. I can see where a square or extended bolus would work great.

15. MaggieM

MaggieM Approved members

I do similar to Mary Lou. In the beginning of our life with D I used the carb info on the pasta box - my son was always going low. It took a while to experiment but we now always go with 7 carbs per 28 grams. We will dual wave the pasta depending on how much he eats and what he has with it. We always give him the whole wheat pasta - I never see a spike with that. It's still not perfect - but it is close.

16. Nancy in VA

Maura: Is that ratio cooked or raw? I'm willing to change from what the box says as long as I have a clue

17. Lee

Lee Approved members

With pasta, I have cut out the prebolus - that really helps. We have spag EVERY.THURSDAY.NIGHT! I can't escape it! It is their routine!

Also, I measure cooked, not dry - because as mentioned above, it does matter. I go by the Calorie King and I weigh it. If you don't have the expensive Salter Scale, any old scale works, but pasta is the 1 time it is necessary for me.

If it continues to give you problems, I would subtract 5 to 10 carbs from your count until you get it figured out.

18. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

you're seeing a very normal pasta reaction. One thing we've done with pasta is that it's one of the ONLY times we don't prebolus. Maybe trying giving the insulin for the pasta after she's done eating.

and I''d try a carb factor AFTER you cook the pasta and seeing where you're at. Depending on the kind of pasta I use about .25 - rigatoni would be maybe a bit higher for us. it shouldn't make a difference cooked or uncooked in theory (why should cooking it remove some carbs) but it does. Don't ask me why lol.

19. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

stop living in my head!!!!!! ROFLMAO

20. Nancy in VA

OK, I'll try to start doing the cooked instead of the dry and see how that works.

We didn't prebolus because she was at the low end of range when we started

Can someone explain the different on the MM with Square Wave and Dual Wave. We only have a Combo on the Animas (% upfront and then rest of % over period of time) so I wanted to see how the others are stretching it out to experiment.

We do have pasta a lot. In addition to liking it, its quick and easy with all the running around we do.

I'm just so surprised that we had this extreme low with just 1/2 a serving - 21 carbs (from the box) worth