- advertisement -

Considering college in a mid-sized town

Discussion in 'Parents of College Kids and Young Adults with Type' started by Amy C., Dec 17, 2011.

1. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My high school senior is considering a school in Terre Haute, Indiana. All his other schools are in large metropolitan areas where I am relatively sure a lot of endos are present.

How does one go about finding out about the diabetes care in a smaller community?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  2. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

I would probably start by calling the endocrinologist department in the closest hospital to the school

3. skimom

skimom Approved members

How about asking YOUR endocrinologist to refer you to someone there? Our endo made a referral for our son when he went away to university so he would have an endo for urgent matters - otherwise, my son just does his regular followup appointments during Christmas break or the summer with his endo here in town.

4. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

A lot of people (myself included) stay with their home endos in college and see them during school breaks. I would ask your current clinic if that's an option.

Terre Haute really isn't that small. According to Google, there are a few endos in the community. Perhaps the university health clinic would have a recommendation?

The other option would be establishing care at a larger center in Indianapolis.

5. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'm doing this as well. I go to university in a big city with a great hospital and endo teams, but I've decided that for now it's easier to stick with what I know and have my appointments in the holidays. I only have 6 monthly appointments, so I see the endo in December and June each year. It seems to be working! (Obviously I'm all set up with a GP in Cambridge and familiar with the nurse at my college.)

6. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

He is applying to schools in Houston, Austin, Dallas, Los Angles and Pittsburgh. I consider Terra Haute to be much smaller with only a handful of endos -- 2 at my count when looking at the website.

I like the idea of dropping the number of visits down to 2 -- summer and Christmas break and keeping the endo here. But I also like having a local endo who could help when he runs into problems that can't be resolved long distance.

7. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I'm not in college yet, but I plan to just see my endo here when I come home for breaks, if I really need help I can always call/email her my numbers ( I doubt I will I don' really get much from my endo) but your endo should be able to refer you to some one close by if you really want him to go...

8. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Just wondering what sort of problems you're thinking of? (There could be something that slipped through the net in my thought process.)

I guess I'm thinking that if I had a minor illness I'd see my GP and could talk to my endo over the phone, and if I was seriously ill and needed hospital admission I would be dealt with by the on call endo rather than my own anyway. If I have problems I email or call my endo.

9. joan

joan Approved members

My son has very short college breaks until summer so it was impossible to be able to see his ped. endo more than once a year, so I decided he needed to get one at school.

My son goes to school in a city. I did a lot of research on line, called a bunch of places and found someone who sounded good.

He had his first appointment in October and he loved the doctor. This was the first time I did not go with him to an appointment.

He is happy he switched. He did like his ped endo but sitting in a room with a bucket of toys in the corner made it feel like it was time for a change.

I like the fact he has an endo near school incase he gets a stomach virus or is vomiting for any reason. I also like the fact that he is seeing someone while at school so if something arises that he has concerns about he has someone to discuss it with.

10. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Alex switched to an adult endo here just before he went to college...in a very small town out west. We weighed the options. He could have found good endos in the Portland (OR) area but it would take about 1 hr to get somewhere by bus/train/etc. And then he'd have to set up appts w/o really knowing what his schedule would be the following semester. So he sees this endo 2x a year. Once in summer and once the week before Christmas....some years he's only been home for about 2 wks at Christmas.

Soon, he'll graduate and get a job somewhere.....I guess at that point he'll need a new endo (unless he wants to come back here!!!)

11. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Our son kept seeing his home-based endo during breaks. He did set up with a family practice in his college town and did visit each year. There are some resources online that give some feedback on doctors. If there's ability to still communicate with a "home" endo that may be sufficient if you can't find close by.

Good luck! Medical people you can count on does matter.