- advertisement -

Connecticut

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Tricia22, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

Tell me about Connecticut (I know NOTHING about the state except where it is)... the good, the bad, the ugly - and if anyone has any experiences with CT Children's in general, or with the CT Children's Endo. group, DETAILS PLEASE...
    I applied for a diabetes care coordinator nurse position there and am working on setting up an interview (phone tag is complicated when you work night shifts and sleep during normal people business hours)... DREAM job except maybe the fact that it's in CT...
    Thanks in advance...

2. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

Tricia, I loved CT when we lived there. The neighborhood we were in, the views, the fact that you can drive up to the mountains, the beach, or the City (NY), in two hours, more or less.

When we move back this summer, it seems to be a toss between IL or CT. We'll find out soon enough. The only reason I'd choose Chicagoland is that I have a brother and an aunt there, and several close friends nearby. But we have several good friends from CT, alas, no family.

Good luck with the interview.

3. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

Ivy... I grew up about 10mins. from Great America in Illinois - halfway between Chicago and Milwaukee...
    Interesting geographical coincidences we have going... kind of... I just finished a 12 hour night shift (2nd of 3 in a row) and am heading to bed shortly, and clearly my mind isn't the sharpest right now... apologies.

4. jetsmom

jetsmom Approved members

I grew up in Illinois (20 miles west of Chicago) and now live in CT and have for 25 years. I love it here, we are close to the shoreline, beaches, RI, Boston and NYC. My son goes to Yale for his diabetes care.

5. NomadIvy

We're 30 miles west of Chicago when we're there.
    This is exactly why I liked CT -- that it's close to all those places. When I first moved to the U.S. in '93, I lived close to Evanston and just found IL too flat. I mean, I still like it and wouldn't mind living there if we have to, but I prefer CT over Chicagoland. We lived in a small town, but had the chance to be in a big city almost once a month.

6. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

My parents live in CT and love it.

What hospital is the position in? The hospital my mom had her colon cancer treatment at was in a pretty dicey neighborhood :eek:

7. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

No sir!! Oh Tricia I would love it if you came to work at Childrens!!!! We are in CT, northeast corner, nice and quiet over here. Hartford is a busy city, its our capital city. And as far as our endo group at Childrens. We love our endo, now and Stevens CDE and nutritionist are the best. I will contact you via FB and tell you about them. You would fit in perfect with that group, honest

8. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

I'm a CT girl born and raised. I'm from lower CT - Fairfield County - close to NYC.
    I'm not sure where the group is that you applied to.

Of course, growing up, CT was all I knew. Until I went away to college in NC and now I live in NJ (which is pretty much the same as CT and the same distance to NYC as when I lived in CT).

Cost of living can be high but depends on what part of CT. The proximity to NYC, Boston, beaches and the entire Atlantic coastline is good and a plus. Access to good hospitals, universities is good. The weather....ehhh. But if you are from the chicago area, then it isn't much different. I am convinced I was born in the wrong part of the country. I thrive on sunshine and warmth.

9. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

I live in CT, too, in between Hartford and New Haven. In our pediatrician's office at diagnosis, we were asked to pick which ER we wanted to go to and we chose to go south to Yale, but I think we would have been happy either way.

The state is quite beautiful, and the proximity to NYC, Boston, and the Atlantic in general is great. The cost of living is higher than in OH, where we lived before coming here. In particular, the cost of rental housing is quite expensive compared with the cost of buying a house--at least compared to other places where we have lived. Of course, the prices are nothing compared to NYC or Boston! Also, to be brutally honest, we have not found people in general to be as warm or welcoming as those in OH (and before anybody gets upset with me, of course there are many lovely people in CT, too, but the general culture seems to be more rushed and individualistic than it was father west). Overall, though, we are enjoying our time here.

Good luck with the job!

10. piratelight

piratelight Approved members

We loved CT Children's when we were there. Due to insurance we had to switch to Yale 5 years ago and were sad to go. We are happy with our endo at Yale but still miss some of the stuff at CCMC. They were awesome. Good luck!

11. NomadIvy

LOL. Native CTers used to ask me if I haven't noticed that they are less friendly than others. I did -- especially living in Stamford. But our neighborhood was great in Milford. And the few friends we made because real close ones and we still keep in touch.

12. 3kidlets

Having grown up and lived in CT and now NJ, I can say this is pretty much true for the North East. Having gone to school in NC and spending a lot of time in the South, I find it very true! It is just different. And that's coming from a New Englander.
    My kids are shocked when we travel south how friendly people are. They aren't use to people that they don't know starting a conversation with them.

13. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Ive always lived in CT so didnt realize that we were any different than anyone else but I was shocked when we went to Oregon for our honeymoon. Everyone was so friendly out there!:eek: We stopped on the side of the road one day to look at the map and decide where we were going to go next and someone stopped behind us. I was like, "lock the door!" the man walked up and my husband rolled down the window and the man asked if we were ok or needed any help:) That doesnt usually happen around here so I was kinda shocked. People are friendly with the people in their neighborhoods and towns but otherwise, not so much

14. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Thank goodness! I mentioned the friendliness bit only because I wanted to give the OP my most honest impressions as a new arrival from somewhere vaguely Midwestern, but I was really hesitant to do so because I did not want to cause offense to those of you lovely people out there from CT. I'm glad, upon returning to the thread, that it is not filled with 37 hate messages directed at me!;)

15. 3kidlets

LOL - I"m CT born and raised and I know exactly what you are saying. I've lived in NJ now for 18 years and it is pretty much the same as CT. You have to have a very thick skin to live here. I often think I was born in the wrong part of the country. Would love to go South! :)

16. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Or go North, Maine is friendly(or was when I lived in Nova Scotia). Acually I found CT NH and VT to be friendly too!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  17. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Here's a shout out for CT.
    Born and raised in Milford, nice town, though it has really grown. It has just about everything under the sun now. It's got a great downtown area and of course, the Oyster Festival!
    Lived in Cromwell (good commuting town to Hartford area) and worked in Hartford. Also lived in Stratford and commuted to Stamford (wouldn't suggest that! Oy 1-95 what a nightmare).

Funny when people ask me where I'm from, I still feel like I should say CT. It will always be home to me.

18. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We've lived in Fairfield County for 18 years. It's lovely. It's safe and quiet; near the beach and in the woods. We have wonderful neighbors and I'd never say that CT'ers are "unfriendly".

Best to target your research to the County and town in which you might be living and working, you'll get better and more relevant information that way.

19. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

LOL
    When I moved to NH and worked in MA I was put in charge of the tri-state accounts because. I had a thick skin and could handle the pace of the people. My gosh it's not like we are a bunch of aliens:)

20. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Of course, the nicest people in the world live in NYC. I kid you not.;)