- advertisement -

Confused

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mandy092570, Nov 28, 2010.

1. mandy092570

mandy092570 Approved members

I have a very important question my 6 year old son has been coughin for three month and has a cold for that long we have gaving him antibotic for 14 days anf he is still couphing have had him at the peditrician every week since school started and they say allergies give him clartin i have but that hasent worked either has had a ear infection too they say it has cleared up but he still holds his ear and says it hurts i dont know what else to do there anything i have noticed about my son he takes Novolog on carb ratio scale 1 unit for 12 for breakfast and 1 for 20 carbs for lunch and 1 unit for 15 for supper I dont know if you all have this problem but on Thanksgiving my son eat his normal amount for lunch at 12pm and he at 3pm snack what suppose to be a 10grams snack and my husband gave him extra food for snack because he was so hungery so he got about 35-40 carbs he said so eat roll and more food we thought wow his sugar going to be in 400's but we were wrong it was 120 after all that food with no extra insulin we checked him every two hours and he was normal he had even dropped from 120 to 112 i dont know what is going on with his body i dont know if sometimes he body takes care of itself i am so confused ! Has anyone had this happen to them ?

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Your kid was dx very recently. He probably is honeymooning, so his pancreas is still producing some insulin and compensating, giving you those nice numbers sometimes. Check with your endo to be sure, but I think that is what is happenig.

As for the cold/ear problems, if it's an upper respiratory infection (throat usually) which has not fully been treated, it can cause ear infections. Something about the tubes being connected (I'm not a doc:p), so you might want to ask for a different antibiotic as well as getting him checked out again fully.

Hope he feels better soon.

3. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

This happens to my dd sometimes as well, she is in a very strong honeymoon. This summer she had just ate and took humalog and then we went to a baseball game. It was like 100 degrees out so we bought ice cream, she tested and was in the 140's. I just let her have the ice cream and told her we would correct since it was dripping down her arm. An hour later she was 110. Two hours later closer to 100. It was very weird, but we assumed her pancreas had taken care of it.

The cold could be what is going around here right now. I got sick over a month ago.. started out terrible, 102.3 temp and cough. Two rounds of antibiotics and I still have lingering issues but it appears now it is just a virus because everyone where I work is going through the same thing.

4. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Have they checked for pertussis? (whooping cough). I know it can last for ages - and is very easily fixed with the right drugs. Hope he feels better soon. It is always worrying when they don't get better when they should!