- advertisement -

Confessions of a night time pancreas

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by bibrahim, Mar 9, 2012.

1. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

Confession: just licked my daughter's finger for before a recheck of a high since I am too tired to walk across the house for a washcloth to wipe her hands. It was the same as the first time.

Any confessions, anyone

2. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

My daughter was 32! at 11pm and after watching it come up nicely for 1 1/2hrs, I decided to sleep for 5 hrs straight. 182 at 1 am is now 429! Overcorrect!

3. Lenoremm

Lenoremm Approved members

Totally slept through the alarm and jumped out of bed when I realized it at 5 am. Lucky this time, it was a good night.

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I suck at the pancreatic night shift. I confess that I often turn off alarms and don't check my BG, and don't have any memory of it in the morning.

5. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I need sleep too badly to check at night!

6. Jilleighn

Jilleighn Approved members

I have a tackle box shoved under my kiddos bed that holds juice, tabs and glucagon because I am to lazy to get up and go across the house to get a tab or juice when she is a little low at night.

Last night she alarmed she was high at 4 am, I looked at the cgms screen saw she had a slight incline but it said it was only 150, so i went back to bed. AT 6am I woke up cgms said 147 and finger poke was 139 so I will take that.

I often leave the wrappers from the alcohol pads, test strip and if a juice box is needed on the dress or floor until the next morning since I am to lazy to get up to put them in the trash.

Last week Loren had a bad site in the middle of the night and the insulin and tubing looked good, so I just put a new site in and used same tubing and insulin in pump and it worked like a charm. At 4am I was not in the mood to fill up a new res and do all the stuff!

Yeah I am a crappy pancreas!

7. Mrs Puff

Mrs Puff Approved members

I forgot to take a cotton ball to wipe off first drop of blood. I used the sleeve of my sweat shirt. Used his sheet when I needed to wipe off the excess after checking. I like the tackle box idea some mentioned previously. After a year and a half of this you would think that I would have thought to keep some supplies in his room! I do try to keep a juice box or a tube of glucose tabs.

8. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

I am so happy to know that I am not the only pseudo vampiric mom here!! :D

9. caspi

caspi Approved members

His sheets always have tiny blood spots on them and are close to impossible to get out. I should just buy red sheets. :p

I'm lazy too - we keep juice boxes and tabs on a shelf in his room. When he was younger, one of his friends thought it was "so cool" that he was able to keep juice boxes in his room. ;)

10. L101418

L101418 Approved members

My record time of hitting the snooze button is 3 hrs. Three hours of every 9 minutes, man! Don't remember any but the first. People, that is just messed up.

I think I have an internal alertness scale that gets set before I sleep.
    High risk of funky numbers = alertness scale set high = wake up.
    Routine checking = meh, low on the scale = snooze.

11. azdrews

azdrews Approved members

Confession: I let Adam run in the 300's all night last night because I couldn't bear to wake him for yet another pod change (just had to change one because it got knocked off in kindergarten.) He was so sleepy...and it was obvious that the pod wasn't working.

Changed it right away at 6am....and you know what? I PAID for my slacking. That pod started alarming at school at 10am and stopped delivering due to a bloody cannula. So we had to change it AGAIN. ARgh.

12. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

I have a bag of Goldfish Cookies and applesauce squeeze packs on my night stand because I refuse to walk downstairs to treat a low.

I have let my son sleep in my room to avoid dragging him out of the top bunk if I have had to treat him for a low or high twice in a night.

I have shoved cookies into his mouth while he was asleep and told him to chew and swallow all the while watching to make sur he doesn't choke.

13. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

I do this all the time! I don't think he has any ideas how many 100-cal pack chocolate chip cookies (they're really thin, so less chance of choking, I figure) he has actually eaten in his sleep over the course of the last few months!

14. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

No matter how much we suck at pancreatic duties, we're better than the duds our kids were born with.

15. Colleen

Colleen Approved members

When Erik is low at night we squeeze gogurt into his mouth. It is so cute. He looks like a guppy coming up for air. Actually, have thought of video taping it so he can see it in the morning. I almost gave him insulin one night. I had a dream his sugar was high and went to give him insulin via pump. Hubby woke up and asked what I was doing. Good thing he stopped me.

16. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

Like a lot of you, I've had sugar and applesauce and strips all over her room. When we still lived in an apartment the entire place had tons of syringes, test strips and gluc tabs all over the place simply because I had a baby and a diabetic preschooler and knew I'd need them again anyway, so why put it away :eek: I have changed since then, slightly...

Oh and I can top pulling the D child into your bed to refuse to get up--Recently, me and my six year old son camped out in his sisters' room at 1 in the morning so I could tend to a recovering nightmare/insomniac and a high BG with 'tones.

and yeah, licking the blood off the fingers....do that too. But I'm a hypocrite, because when I watch El do it during the day I growl at her. :p

17. Traci

Traci Approved members

We do have red sheets! Ds's room is denim and red.

Do non-night screw-ups count? I changed ds's insulin to carb ratio the wrong way and he was sky high because he got less insulin per carb instead of more...and this is after almost ten years of doing this! Shouldn't I know how to do this by now?:rolleyes:

18. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

don't feel bad! I did the math "backwards" last night, we're 8 years in, and my 10 year old corrected me! :rolleyes:

19. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Dark-colored pjs are the best because blood can be blotted on them to avoid getting it on the quilts!