- advertisement -

Complete and Utter Tech Failure Last Night (Not Dexcom's Fault)

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mamattorney, Jan 15, 2016.

1. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

We updated our G4 Share Receiver to G5 a week or so ago. Yes the range is less robust, but I didn't think it was an issue until last night.

We normally kept the receiver in the bathroom which shares a wall with her bedroom. On G4, her iPad (the sharing device) could be kept in her room or in the kitchen.
    After updating, we were keeping her phone and receiver in the bathroom (this is where the baby monitor is), but they kept going out of range. This was curious to me because the bluetooth G4 receiver could always hook up with her iPad in her room - so why was the G5 bluetooth flaking out over the same distance? Maybe because the iPad is static and her arm is dynamic throughout the night? Who knows?

Anyway, our solution was to keep her phone in her room where the iPad used to be overnight; the receiver stayed in the bathroom with the baby monitor from our pre Share days. No walls or other barriers between phone and transmitter now and connection was stable. The receiver was still in the bathroom and it would go in and out of range so often that we turned the out of range alarm off.

For me, I prefer to use Nightscout in lieu of Share for a few reasons - (1) the alarms are continuous so I always wake up eventually (2) there's a little switch that allows my screen to stay on all night without changing the settings on the actual phone, and (3) when the app is closed; it's closed. Share alerted me during the day when I wanted my phone to be quiet. So, I still have Share on my phones, but I turned off all alerts.

Well, for some technological reason, my phone screen went dark overnight/nightscout closed. And, one of the things I like about Nightscout is - when it's closed, it's silent. I woke up, glanced at the phone and swore. Turned on nightscout and she was 80 angle arrow up. But my heart sank because I saw that she had been LOW (not just low, dexcom LOW) for an hour starting at 4:50am. She never woke up to the drop and the only reason she woke up was because her phone switches off from do not disturb at 6am and it started alarming at her (both her "get up in the morning" alarm and Dexcom's alarms). She got up, drank some juice and was fine.

I ran downstairs and the receiver had been out of range for 4 hours! That's why I didn't get the under 55 alarm over the baby monitor. Dexcom was working and if her phone had not been on do not disturb or if I had been using Share, I would have woken up at some point I'm sure, but I had always relied on the baby monitor as backup. I still have no idea what caused my phone to lock up.

That was the biggest tech scare I have ever had. I definitely need to rethink my dexcom alert situation with the G5.

2. blufickle

blufickle Approved members

I have the T:slim G4 and there are times when for no reason at all I'll get an out of range for the CGM. And I'm wearing it. So it's not like it's more than 20 feet away from me. And I have had that happen with my Dexcom receiver too, the G4. I'd either wear it or have it on my table during the day or clipped to my coke bear stuffed animal at night. Sometimes, for who knows why, I'd get an out of range error. I just wanted you to know that you're not the only one why has unknown out of range errors. As a matter-of-fact, I had a two hour one last night. Drove me crazy. I'm wearing my pump, nothing it obstructing it.