- advertisement -

Comforting Homemade Cards for Diabetics Who are Struggling

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ibusse13, Jun 23, 2014.

Tags:
  1. ibusse13

ibusse13 Approved members

My 11 year old daughter and I are in the slow process of starting a non-profit organization called Boxes of Joy for Diabetics which will eventually send fun care package with fun and useful items to diabetic kids who have been recently diagnosed or who are going through a tough time. We decided to start small by sending homemade cards to type 1 diabetics who are struggling. If anyone would like to their type 1 to receive a card to lift their spirits please go to our Facebook page at www.boxesofjoy.com and message us the child's name, address, age, and interests/likes. My daughter loves personalizing each card so make sure you don't forget to let her know what your child likes and interests are so she make the card extra special.

2. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

This is a very nice idea!

3. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I think it's wonderful that you and your daughter are doing this. What may seem like a small act of kindness to you can make an incredibly positive impact on another person's life!

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I looked at your FB page and see that the cards your daughter is making are very sweet. But I'm confused by the wish list on Amazon. Are those things you plan on including in the care packages?

5. ibusse13

Great question. In addition to cards we plan on sending small care packages to diabetic kids who are having a really tough time and larger boxes to newly diagnosed kids in our local hospital as funding becomes available. Small boxes will include a fun toy or superhero cape, bottle cap medical alert necklace/zipper pull, mini food scale/spibelt, and book featuring diabetic character or gratitude journal. Larger packages will include all the same things as smaller boxes plus fleece blanket, stuffed animal, foldable measuring cups, measuring spoons, ziplock bags with Sharpie marker, and information pamphlets. I just went through the list and labeled some of the items so people know what they are for and rated them in order of need. There are a few toys that we have picked out for kids on our current waiting list which I have labeled. If anyone makes superhero capes and would like to donate some we would love that! They can be sent to Boxes of Joy for Diabetics P.O. Box 298 Antigo, WI 54409

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Shouldn't a non-profit group be able to pursue charitable donations from toy, craft and diabetes supply companies rather than seeking retail purchase donations from the public?

7. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Kudos to you and your daughter. But how do you decide which newly dx kids to send to? Don't take this the wrong way, but such a package would have made my son feel worse, not better.

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

From your FB page, "We left the hospital with boring educational books and a ton of prescriptions. My daughter was extremely scared. There was nothing given to her to help her cope other than a form to fill out to receive a Bag of Hope with a wonderful bear named Rufus (which didn't arrive until 3 months later"

When my daughter was discharged from the hospital she was permitted to go to the toy closet and pick out an NIB toy. It was a nice little treat, something we certainly didn't expect and which had nothing to do with her particular dx, but still nice. To 'celebrate" her first year anniversary we took a bunch of new toys that she selected from the toy store back to the hospital to donate. I like to think that one went to a child with cancer, one to a kids with CF, maybe a child with D got one too, but it didn't matter. Leaving the hospital with a new toy was nice. But once home getting a box of measuring cups and a cape might not really fit the need.

I get the spirit of what you are trying to do, I just think you need to revisit the formula.

9. ibusse13

As I said in my intial post we are starting a non-profit organization. It takes time and money to get 501(c)(3) status which is needed to get many companies to donate. Due to my husband's recent pay cut we are on a tight budget and simply can not foot the bill ourselves. We have been fortunate that a local lawyer who has a type 1 diabetic brother has offered to set up a corporation and by laws for us free of charge. He did advise us that we should seek the services of an accountant who has experience in non profits to make sure everything is correct, prevent costly mistkes, and help the process progress quicker. We want to make sure we set this up correctly. Until then many companies will not offer any donations without that status because they don't get a tax write off. We are writing to companies to see if they would be willing to donate or at least allow us to get items at he cheapest price. We are starting small with cards and limited packages right now to newly diagnosed diabetic kids. I choose capes because there are a lot of programs already in place that give capes to cancer patients and kids with other illnesses that have gotten wonderful results and support. I am in contact with the parents of the kids on our list to make sure the fun gift is one that the kids would enjoy. If a cape is not wanted hey will get something else. Parents contact me who want a card or package. The program is growing and with every new program there are kinks to be worked out and changes need to be made as problems arrive and needs present themselves. I appreciate all the imput I have gotten from people and think it is important to take accept critism, suggestions, and praise to improve this program. So far we have received encouragement from over a hundred people. I hear stories of kids that are hurting so much and it breaks my heart. They feel alone and just want to know they are not alone. I feel like I get a lot of support as a parent through forums and other parents, but there is hardily any support for these kids. We cannot sit by and do nothing. Something is better than nothing. If we bring joy to just one child we have succeeded. Everyone in the diabetic community is lead to help in a different areas. I know of countless volunteers like many of you reading this who have made a difference in the lives of so many diabetic and I salute you. Our heart is with the struggling diabetics out there and we are confident we will succeed. I love that some of you received toys and fun item that comforted your child. I even heard about an organization called Crates of Courage that give crates full of comforting and useful to newly diagnosed diabetic kid in their area. Unfortunately such programs are not available in a lot of areas like ours.