- advertisement -

1. earruda

earruda Approved members

Hi;

I am starting to look at colleges with my daughter who is a senior this year. Does anyone know of any colleges that offer good grants/aide ect for kids with Type 1? Does it qualify her as a "disabled" student? She hates the idea of applying as someone with a disability but we need all the help we can get with college.

Thanks,

2. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

As far as money for a T1 dx, there is a scholarship through the JDRF (I think it's $5000). http://www.diabetesscholars.org/college.html We tried for that one but didn't get it. It helps if she is super involved with the JDRF or other Diabetes related organizations. If she is a good student with good test scores, there are some schools we found that give very good merit aid. If you're looking at small liberal arts schools, I would check out: University of Puget Sound (WA), Ithaca College (NY), American University (DC), Willamette University (OR). University of Puget Sound gave us the most ($12,000). I'm sure there are a ton of other ones out there for good merit aid.

3. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

I didn't have much luck finding scholarships specifically for diabetes, maybe 2 or 3. But I agree with the PP in that small liberal arts give a lot of money. I received over $31000 in financial aid from the college I'm attending in the fall (hood college). $17000 in merit, $8000 in grants, $5500 in stafford.