- advertisement -

Colleges and 24/7 health services?

Discussion in 'Parents of College Kids and Young Adults with Type' started by cockatiel, Jun 6, 2011.

1. cockatiel

cockatiel Approved members

Somehow I innocently thought that ALL colleges had student health services that were open 24 / 7. The college I went to did, and the college that my older two kids attend does.

My youngest has T1D, and the college that seems so right for her is ~1000 miles from home, is 45 minutes from the nearest airport, and doesn't have a 24-hour health service -- the health service is basically only open during standard business hours.

What do T1D's do if they need non-emergency help (like dealing with the flu) and their college doesn't have a 24-hour health service?

How much of a priority have you folks places on having a 24-hour health service available at your child's college?

And is there a list of colleges that have a 24-hour health service? Or am I being paranoid?

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I would think that a college student without a 24 hour health clinic could go to the ER as well as the health clinic.

This is not a priority in my son choosing his school.

3. Stacey Nagel

Stacey Nagel Approved members

jesse was away at colleg , 500 miles away from home this year. His colleges health clinic was open m-f , 8-6 pm... if he would have needed help at other times he would have had to go to the ER....
    Knock wood, he didnt need it..

4. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Most college health centers would send anyone with anything more serious than a minor complaint to the ER anyway.

5. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

The college I'm going to, Hood College (Frederick, MD), has the health center open from 8:30am - 6:00pm. But when ever they are closed they have a hospital conveniently located right across the street from the campus.

6. mocha

mocha Approved members

The student health center was not a deciding factor in my college choice. The university I'm currently attending does not have a 24 student health center, and unfortunately, the nearest hospital is about a half hour away, since the one closer to campus closed down. That hospital closed down a few years after I had started attending, so the idea of transferring schools solely based on hospital location, when I'm so close to being done, seems like I'm letting D control me, rather than me controlling D.

Personally, I don't trust the people that work at the student health center at my uni. They know about as much about diabetes as the media does (and they're supposedly doctors :rolleyes: ). The only thing that this particular student health center is good for is getting dr.'s notes for assignment extensions.

7. Ronin1966

Ronin1966 Approved members

Hello cockatiel:

Candidly the health services I've encountered frankly I would not trust with the SNIFFLES, much less Type 1 diabetes for decent primary care. But on the rare occasions I've also found some very skilled ones too.

Depends on who is on duty that moment. What their background is... What you do... nothing.

There are always time when we must take care of ourselves. Immediate medical care might not be available 24-7. But is someone has appendicitis, a heart attack... you do not expect immediate top skill care either. You work with what's available... what ever is in front of you.

8. cockatiel

Thank you all for your thoughts.

Dd is away from home a lot due to a very time-intensive extracurricular activity so she is used to handling things herself, but I'm almost always a cell phone call and a 10-minute drive away. (Not that she has ever needed help, but.....)

I guess I'm going to have to get used to the idea that at college she will have to be 100% responsible for her care with no backup help. I guess that's part of growing up. :eek:

9. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

You will still be a phone call away and can provide advice and backup if needed. :cwds:

10. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I went to two colleges that didn't even HAVE student health services.... and I think one of those schools may have a clinic now, but it definitely didn't when I was attending (10 years ago). Students were instructed to go to a nearby urgent care or the ER.

In the 5 years I was in college, I only got sick enough to need medical attention three times while I was actually a student (I was diagnosed with T1 during the year I took off). Once was pre-D, when I developed pneumonia following what seemed like a fairly benign URI (I had my mom pick me up from my boyfriends apartment to take me to urgent care because HE couldn't be bothered... we broke up soon after, not surprisingly). The other two were after I developed D, when I had strep so bad I couldn't swallow anything (I drove myself to the ER - I didn't feel nearly as sick as I apparently was), and then the second time I got pneumonia, when I had my mom take me to the ER while my husband stayed home with our oldest who was just a baby. I was much sicker that second time than the first time I'd gotten pneumonia.

Now, I lived near home, so I had the option of calling mom for help, but if I hadn't I wouldn't have hesitated to call 911 for myself or started running through my friends to find someone to take me... both times I had pneumonia I was definitely in no condition to drive.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  11. skimom

skimom Approved members

My son's endo gave us the name of an endo in his university town to connect with in case there were any problems. Also, even though the college doesn't have 24/7 care, are there not clinics nearby that could be used ( ie where would someone go who needs stitches or has strep throat issues outside the office hours)- my son accesses one of those walk - in clinics when required.Our children's university also provides extended health care benefits as a nominal add on to tuition ( like about $170/year) to help pay towards prescriptions etc. Fortunately, we benefit from free health care provided by our provincial government so the only issue is whether our kids want to go to a walk in clinic or sit in ER for help if that becomes necessary.

12. Ali

Ali Approved members

I agree with all the posts. All the College/U med centers I was involved with were pretty lame. I think the idea of finding an Endo nearby and setting up an initial appointment to have him/her as your endo while at college is the best idea. :cwds:Wish my folks and I had figured this out many moons ago.:p Ali

13. cockatiel

Helpful. I went to a university with a great health service (dh and I stayed on it for several years after we had graduated from grad school, and my first three pregnancies were completely handled through it -- ob/gyn and all! It even handled my dh's diabetes education when he was diagnosed.......) so the idea that the health services would be lame honestly hadn't occurred to me.

I need to change my expectations.....