- advertisement -

College Scholarships for CWD

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sooz, Mar 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swellman

swellman Approved members

I, for one, completely do not understand the harping on this one criteria. It's already been stated it's one of many and seems clear, to me at least, that it's not a deal breaker.

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I'm not sure whether you're talking to me, but I don't have a problem with the "advocacy" criteria (although I do think that skews the recipients heavily toward the white, middle to upper class population). I just wish (1) need and (2) other adversity overcome were additional factors.

But as it's been pointed out, this is a private foundation, and they can give scholarships to whoever the heck they want to give them to.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  3. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

As someone who has 3 kids, 2 with diabetes and all of them very smart and college bound, I think scholarship opportunities, where ever they come from are wonderful.

If one of my type 1 kids could get a scholarship from an institution such as this, I would be thrilled.

4. Mary Podjasek

Mary Podjasek Approved members

I understand what you are saying. For an example however I would have to say in the past four years combined, we have probably received 8 applications from African-American students out of 2,000 applications. Information about our scholarship programs goes via several sources including JDRF, ADA as well as scholarship websites. So if a student inputs information about themselves in Fastweb for instance and includes that they have Type 1, our scholarship will come up.

5. Kayeecee

Kayeecee Approved members

Mary, thank you so much for bringing this to our attention. I applaud the goals of your group and appreciate the hard work trying to get scholarship money to deserving recipients. Bravo.

6. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

I think this is great. Mine's a sophomore so we're coming up on all of this stuff really quickly.

Mary thank you for chiming in!

7. swellman

swellman Approved members

I'm not sure about the incidence of T1D in your part of the country but where I'm from, walk after walk, it's perfectly clear that diabetes is a non-discriminating disease and those that support research for it represent the general population. I see every demographic where we walk and they seem, to my untrained eye, to represent the general population.

I think the assertion that only middle-to-upper class, white diabetics tend to advocate for diabetes research is insulting. It's so insulting that I know you don't mean it and am really confused about your position.

8. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

I was one of the founders of the DSF. The criteria for awarding college scholarships is exactly what we wanted -- high school seniors who have type 1 diabetes and who have excelled in some way (academics, athletics, art, etc.), been active in diabetes in some way, taken their diabetes seriously, and received recommendations from their teachers. That is the group we, the founders, wanted to reward with scholarships.

We specifically ask for involvement in type 1 diabetes because that makes a difference to people living with type 1 diabetes. That is the group we wanted to reach.

We also do not ask about HbA1c or glucose control. We simply ask about the student being active in their diabetes care. We all know very well how challenging it can be for teens to achieve BG targets, and the DSF does not penalize anyone who has had difficulty. We simply want students who take their diabetes seriously and who are involved with their diabetes team in their care.

These are rather selective criteria, but even with that, we are able to award scholarships to only a fraction of applicants. The students who have received awards over the years are truly exceptional -- and that is exactly what I and the other founders wanted.

If you don't like the criteria for the scholarship awards, you can create your own foundation, raise the money, set up the review process, and give out your own awards. That will make a positive difference.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  9. hawkeyegirl

Now, now. I never said that ONLY middle to upper class, white diabetics tend to advocate for diabetes research. I said that the requirement that recipients advocate for diabetes research would tend to skew the recipients toward the white and middle to upper class. There is a big difference there. But regardless of whether you believe me or not, SOMETHING is skewing the recipients toward the white (and I suspect toward the middle to upper-middle class, but I should probably not speculate on that without any evidence other than my own suspicions).

But that really was not my main point. My point was that there are many kids with diabetes out there who do endure some pretty difficult circumstances that are compounded by their diabetes, and then there are kids like my son who have every advantage (good insurance, two college-educated parents who have the knowledge and ability to care for him well, enough money to take advantage of the newest technology regardless of cost, etc.) who will no doubt succeed in spite of his diagnosis and without money from CWD. I would prefer that this money go to a child with a 3.2 high school GPA who had to work 30 hours a week in order to help his single mom pay for test strips, and who will be the first in his family to go to college, than to a kid like my son, who has every advantage anyway.

Again, I realize that this is a private foundation and they can set their own requirements. As a potential donor, I'd prefer to give to a foundation that would help a D child in need, as opposed to D kids like my son who already have a lot of advantages.

10. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

hawkeyegirl, you are more than welcome to make a donation to the DSF and stipulate that the funds support someone who has had to work throughout high school and is the first in the family to attend college.

In fact, you are all welcome to make a donation and work with Mary to define criteria that you feel is important. The DSF has the infrastructure in place to select candidates who apply and meet criteria from several donation sources, as you can clearly see on the college scholarship page (http://www.diabetesscholars.org/college.html).

But if you are going to make such a donation, you should be sure that you donate enough to make the effort worthwhile. The lowest scholarship amount that the DSF awards right now is $1,000. Donate or fundraise accordingly.

Addendum: Nothing in the application process would preclude a student such as hawkeyegirl describes from receiving an award. Scholastic achievement is just one of many factors the reviewers consider. Strong recommendations and a stellar personal essay would make an enormous impact.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  11. Mary Podjasek

While financial need is not a criteria, I can tell you as a fact that 9 times out of 10 these kids would not be able to pursue their dreams without this scholarship. That is evidenced by the responses I get from our recipients. In fact one of our recipients last year who came from a single parent household and had to work in high school to get by said "you don't know how many tables I would have had to wait to make up for this scholarship".

12. hawkeyegirl

Hey, that's cool! Thanks for the info! :)

13. Mary Podjasek

Yes in addition to our general $5,000 scholarships we have some unique scholarships based on our donor's request. Some are major specific and some are location specific (Colorado, Ohio)

14. sooz

sooz Approved members

We managed to put both of our kids through college with no loans, including grad school for our daughter, but we were always so grateful for every scholarship and fellowship they received. We felt it was a reward and an honor for them. College is so expensive now that it seems overwhelming. I know that in the past there were many grants available to low income students, but not so many for the middle class that often gets squeezed from both directions. Even the state schools that my kids graduated from ( UCLA and Cal State Northridge)are crazy expensive, and that is not even counting books etc. I was so excited to learn of the DSF and what it offers to CWD. Many thanks to the board and other volunteers who make it possible. I am a founding board member of a non profit and I know first hand what it takes to create and sustain a well run foundation. My husband and I will be making a donation to DSF.

15. Mary Podjasek

Thank you so much for all your kind words. Our board has worked very hard to make a difference in the life of a child with Type 1 diabetes. We are the only foundation that offers college scholarships that are open to all students in the US with Type 1 diabetes.

16. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

This is wonderful! Thank you for posting this Sooz:) Its been a dream of mine since Steven was diagnosed to win the lottery and after giving huge amounts of money to diabetes research, to start a foundation that would give college scholarships to students with type 1 and to give scholarships to diabetes camps. Im so thankful that people are already doing this. Its exciting to think about Steven going to college. Ah who am I kidding? I cant even imagine my baby going away to college:eek: But he will, he is destined for great things;) And maybe one of these scholarships will help him get there one day.

17. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

Thank you for this! I had no idea there were any scholarships available for Type 1's. I'm SO happy to learn about this wonderful opportunity for our kiddos!!
    Thank you, Jeff, for your part in this.
    Thank you, Mary, for your gracious and informative responses here.
    Thank you, Susan, for posting this thread here. I would never have known about this scholarship otherwise.

18. hawkeyegirl

Ah, you should have looked into OU. Here is their guaranteed National Merit package. http://www.ou.edu/content/go2/home/nationalmerit/non-oklahoma_residents.html

Here is a list of schools with full ride (or very good, as otherwise indicated) packages. http://homepage.mac.com/l_j/secondhome/National_Merit.html

I didn't get anywhere that much, but NMS are not that rare where I went to school. Heck, we had 8 NMS in my graduating class of 325.

19. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

Not to take away from the work DSF is doing but if you are in Canada consider checking out www.diabeteshopefoundation.com

I am on the board of this wonderful organization that also gives out scholarships to young adults with T1 pursuing a post secondary education. I am proud that our fundraising efforts go towards an Emma Betz scholarship and that our little Emma gets to present her scholarship to the recipient, it's a special moment.

20. acoppus

acoppus Approved members

Wow! That is quite a deal! I went to Penn State for a year then transferred to the University of Findlay in Ohio to be a horse trainer. I followed my dreams instead of my brains ;) there were 3 NMS in my small Catholic high school.

But, I think this scholarship is great and if my son wasn't only 3 years old, he would be applying!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.