- advertisement -

College Scholarships for CWD

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sooz, Mar 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sooz

sooz Approved members

2. sooz

sooz Approved members

If you click on the link above, and then click on the recipients on the left hand side of the page, you will see dozens of great D kids pursuing their dreams and their futures. Pretty inspiring for our kids!

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

It seems unfair that one must not only be diabetic but must be out about it in order to be eligible.

Under eligibility - "Have contributed to diabetes research or advocacy through fundraising efforts, volunteering, public speaking, etc."

One would think that being a good student, being well rounded while enduring what needs to be done to stay healthy would suffice. :rolleyes:

4. sooz

sooz Approved members

I like where it says that their founder's goal was that in this one small area of life D could be an advantage.

"A cornerstone endeavor of the Diabetes Scholars Foundation is its student scholarship program. Ours is the only foundation that funds college scholarships for which only students in the United States with Type 1 Diabetes are eligible. Our founders goal was that, in this one small area of life, diabetes could be an advantage. Since 2008 the Foundation has awarded nearly $300,000 in college scholarships to kids with Type 1, through scholarships of $5,000 each."

I think you will find that almost all college scholarships have very specific requirements, some bordering on the truly strange and ultra specific. I am sorry you feel this group is unfair in their wish to give scholarshipss to our kids. They are interested in advocacy and education about D, so I guess that is why they made that particular requirement. It seems a pretty minor point to me. Most of our kids participate in fundraising at some time I would imagine.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  5. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

Thanks! Kayla will be a Junior next year but it is nice to know that there is something she can apply for in another year or so. I don't know that it is a huge deal that they need to be involved. I would imagine that just being a youth ambassador for the JDRF would be a start, you have to be involved with fundraising to do that.

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

It's not huge, it just seems a bit unnecessary to me. I'd feel this way about kids with cancer, or AIDS or any other medical condition. Why must your kids always be examples? Can't they just get a small reward for what they do to survive and thrive?:rolleyes:

7. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I agree.

I would even go a step further and say that a special scholarship just because someone has diabetes seems odd to me. Diabetes is not an acheivement, it is not something they choose to have, it is not something they earned. I don't know, maybe I am just a grump, but I would not want my child using something like that. Obviously, if Danielle wanted to pursue it, I would be supportive of her.

8. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Once you get into the world of scholarships, there are the darnest ones out there. This one has typical requirements of this type.

9. Mary Podjasek

Mary Podjasek Approved members

College Scholarships

The Diabetes Scholars Foundation awards college scholarships to students with Type 1 diabetes. We do not just look at advocacy and a student "being out about it". We take into account several criteria including activities, volunteering, leadership, advocacy, an essay and letters of recommendations from a physician treating them as well as a high school counselor. Our college scholarship recipients have done amazing things and have proven that diabetes doesn't have to stand in their way. Last year alone we had over 500 applications from 49 states. Twenty five of those applicants were National Merit Scholars which is 1/2 of 1% of the nation. These students are leaders in their school and community. They are athletes, Eagle Scouts, musicians, school newspaper editors and have accomplishments in their short lives that are very impressive. For that we are rewarding them with a scholarship. We are very proud of the program we have developed and in five years we will have awarded over $500,000 in college scholarships to some very deserving students who just happen to also have Type 1 diabetes.
    Mary Podjasek,
    President
    Diabetes Scholars Foundation

10. caspi

caspi Approved members

I agree. My son doesn't like to be a poster child for D. So I guess we won't be applying for this scholarship when the time comes.

11. Lindy

Lindy Approved members

I think it is awesome! Thank you!

12. Mary Podjasek

Lindy-
    Thank you so much for your kind words.

13. sooz

sooz Approved members

"The Diabetes Scholars Foundation awards college scholarships to students with Type 1 diabetes. We do not just look at advocacy and a student "being out about it". We take into account several criteria including activities, volunteering, leadership, advocacy, an essay and letters of recommendations from a physician treating them as well as a high school counselor. Our college scholarship recipients have done amazing things and have proven that diabetes doesn't have to stand in their way. Last year alone we had over 500 applications from 49 states. Twenty five of those applicants were National Merit Scholars which is 1/2 of 1% of the nation. These students are leaders in their school and community. They are athletes, Eagle Scouts, musicians, school newspaper editors and have accomplishments in their short lives that are very impressive. For that we are rewarding them with a scholarship. We are very proud of the program we have developed and in five years we will have awarded over $500,000 in college scholarships to some very deserving students who just happen to also have Type 1 diabetes. "

Thank you Mary, and thank you to your fine organization. I love the group's philosophy. It was wonderful to see the photos of your recipients and see the schools they will attend. I think it is truly inspirational to see their achievements. I am so grateful that there are organizations like yours out there to support our children and who recognize what they have overcome to make their dreams a reality.

14. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son doesn't either, but he volunteered at day camp for kids with diabetes. I am going to have him apply to see what happens.

15. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

My mom was a financial aid counselor my senior year of high school. Her philosophy was apply even if you don't meet all the criteria or agree with the criteria. I was amazed how many scholarships I didn't think I had a chance of getting were awarded to me.

16. Lenoremm

Lenoremm Approved members

There is another way of looking at this: from the point of view of those who fund the scholarships. Many charitable people like to acknowledge the difficulty students with Type 1 face and by providing scholarship funds they can help young people as they transition to adulthood with a chronic illness. CWD will all face many expenses that non d kids never have to worry about. Donors see this as a way to help kids as they face young adulthood and all the expenses that come with it. Donations to a foundation like this are a great way for philanthropic people to achieve their charitable wishes. As kids look to applying to college there are a number of different organizations that provide scholarships. Personally I don't have a problem with a cwd applying for such a scholarship. I think it is very nice they are available, just unfortunate our kids may qualify. I am not sure how accepting a scholarship would make your child a poster child for D. Looking at the pictures of those scholars they are healthy young accomplished adults, nothing else.

17. timsma

timsma Approved members

I also appreciate this chance of getting a scholarship. It does not mean my child has to be a poster child by any stretch of the imagination. EVERY scholarship offered has criteria to meet. This one is no different. If you don't want your child to apply for it, great! There will be many others happy to accept one.

18. Sarah Maddie's Mom

So then, the list is not what is required of applicants, but rather suggested criteria for application?

Eligibility:

High School Seniors with type 1 diabetes seeking a higher education at an accredited four year university, college, technical or trade school.
    U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
    Have contributed to diabetes research or advocacy through fundraising efforts, volunteering, public speaking, etc.
    Have demonstrated exemplary academic performance.
    Participates in community or extra curricular activities or sports.
    Endorsement from Physician or CDE that demonstrates that they are managing their diabetes. HbA1c is not a criterion.
    Letter of Recommendation from High School Counselor or Teacher.
    Complete a personal essay.

So an otherwise eligible candidate who had never publicly "contributed to diabetes research or advocacy through fundraising efforts, volunteering, public speaking, etc." someone who wished not to put themselves forward to advocate on diabetes, would sill be considered?

19. Mary Podjasek

Susan-
    Thanks so much for your kind words. Our board has worked very hard to develop this program and are very proud that we are able to make such a difference in the life of a student with Type 1 diabetes.
    Mary

20. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I guess the more I think about it this is really what the issue is for me. The idea that CWDs have this huge burden to overcome and if they make any kind of achievement it is always in the context of diabetes. Jimmy made the honor roll AND he has diabetes! Sally made Poms even though she has been battling diabetes!

I know it is a horrible disease and CWDs have to deal with things many other kids don't, but at least for me, it has not really influenced any of the things my daughter does or wants to do in her life. We just have to plan more and it is more work.

All that being said, I think it is great that there are people out there that want to give money to CWDs and it is great if parents want to take advantage of that opportunity. I am not disparaging the organizations or the people who use them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.