- advertisement -

College Board Accommodations

Discussion in 'Parents of College Kids and Young Adults with Type' started by Tonysmum, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Tonysmum

Tonysmum Approved members

As parents of older kids that might have been through this already -
    Has anyone requested or been granted accomodations for AP or SAT?
    If so, which accommodations did you ask for that your kids felt necessary? Where there any that turned out to be no big deal?
    I'm thinking of the ones we have in our 504 like being allowed to take in food and drink, bathroom breaks, being allowed to test his BG.
    In the bulletin guide for AP testing, it states they are not allowed to take into the testing room - cell phones ... any other electronics, watches that beep or have an alarm, or food and drink. Should I specifically ask that he be allowed to carry not only his meter and pump but also his watch and cell phone?
    But the biggest issue is, if he needs to either treat a low or high, stopping the clock and allowing him to restart. This is different to the usual accommodation allowed of having 50% or 100% added time, which is not what I would be asking for.
    We have the opportunity to apply for accommodations which must be submitted by 22nd February.
    Thanks, Elaine

2. skimom

skimom Approved members

accomodations

Hi there
    I am in Canada so are not writing college boards, however, for my son's diploma exams (I guess our equivalent here) his accomodations are that he can bring food, drink and all necessary equipment (pump, monitor, ketone strips etc)and must be allowed to eat/drink/use washroom as needed and that he be allowed necessary time to deal with highs/lows.He is also allowed to write in a quieter location if he so desires (my son has very strong stress induced hyperglycemia).Cell phones are not allowed, however since the exams are supervised and a phone is in the room, we have the accomodation that he can consult his parents or the diabetes clinic for advice whenever necessary. Any issues during the exam must be documented with the supervisor and there is a means for appeal in the event that his exam results might be affected by his diabetes. Be sure your child does this too.
    We are very fortunate that our school principal is a type 1 diabetic so he gets it.Our attitude is that accomodations enable our son to be evaluated on a level playing field - all the other kids have normal blood sugar and unless my son's is within range, he is not being evaluated on his knowledge but rather on how well he writes tests when hyperglycemic.

3. Tonysmum

Tonysmum Approved members

Wow, Thanks, Skimom.
    That's a well written answer, and I particularly like your last sentence. I would like to use that, if I need to argue the point. That's the whole point. To allow ours to be on equal footing with theirs.
    You make a good point about documenting incidents during a test in case of later appeal, I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks, Elaine

4. Illinifan

Illinifan Approved members

There is a SAT/PSAT thread in the Parents of Kids forum in which I originally posted these remarks, but I'll repost them here:

"My DS took the SAT as a 7th grader to see if he would qualify for any of the gifted programs colleges offer. My wife registered him ahead of time and indicated on the form that he has Type I and would need the accommodations of being able to keep a juice box on his desk, test if needed and use of the restroom.

As I recall, there was either another form that arrived or she wrote another letter (I'll check) and it took over 60 days for the SAT board to approve the request.

He took a copy of the approval with him to the test and had no problems. His proctor was his older brother's JV basketball coach and Zach was more scared of him than taking the test. All went well."

2nd quote:

"This is one of those cases that the 504 isn't relevant. The 504 applies to the school your kid attends. Like Stacey said, her son will be assigned to a different school to take the test.

The SAT proctors work for the SAT during the test and have to follow their rules. Unless you have approved paperwork, it is only their right, but their obligation to stop your test and throw out the results if you violate the rules, which include the kinds of things that T1s might need.

Your kid might not need the accomodations, but this is a case of better safe than sorry.

Here's the website for the process: http://www.collegeboard.com/ssd/student/index.html"

So to sum up: Apply for the accomodations. If your kid doesn't use them, great. If they have to, better.

5. Lisa

Lisa New Member

SAT's. AP's and the ACT

My daughter is a freshman at the University of Michigan. When she was in HS and taking the standardized tests, our guidance counselor gave me the appropriate forms to sign and then the school signed them as well-they submitted them. They did have to be mailed into the college boards well before the test was administered.

If I remember correctly, we had the option of being in a room with other students with accommodations (all different accomodations). My daughter was able to take food, drinks and supplies with her into the room. If she had to treat a low or a high, the clock was stopped so she could make the correction (although this did not happen).

She took the tests at her home high school so many of the proctors were teachers in her school and they were well aware of her diabetes and her needs.

I suggest talking to your guidance counselor NOW to make sure all accommodations are in place. They will not give you additional time for diabetes but they will stop the clock for adjustments. It really helps if you already ahve a 504 in place in school.

Good luck!
    Lisa: