- advertisement -

Co-oping in genetic studies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by zookpr, May 30, 2006.

1. zookpr

zookpr Approved members

I was just wondering if anyone has participated in any of the diabetic genetic studies. I contacted a group that was doing a study and just hear back from them. They are sending me the information this week. Our family is eligible for 2 studies. Just curious as to if anyone else has done this before. :)

2. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Our family is in the TrialNet Study. My husband and younger son participated in phase 1 and were negative for the antibodies they were looking for. I was very positive, and I am now in phase 3 of the study. Let me know if you have any questions about it. I like being part of the study, and it's also good for me to have all of these tests done every 6 months to know where my bood sugars, insulin levels and a1c scores are going.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

My so-far non-diabetic daughter participates in TrialNet natural history study. She tested positive for the anti-bodies (not surprising as she is an identical twin to a T1), and will be tested every year for 5 years. We were encouraged by the endo to participate in this one because of the fact that they are twins. If at any point she balks about doing it, we will pull her out. She is only 5, and we don't want to make the docs a bad experience. Who knows, maybe our participating might make a difference down the line.

4. zookpr

zookpr Approved members

We are considering the TrialNet natural history study and then they had another one for families with type 1 siblings. I lost my 19 year old sister to a low number 4years ago and I have 2 kids with type 1 diabetes anything we can do to help further diabetes studies, education, and research along we are all willing to do.

5. EmmasMom

EmmasMom Approved members

Oh My Gosh Courtney! Your sister died from a low blood sugar? What happened? Was she alone?

That's horrible, I'm very sorry.

6. zookpr

zookpr Approved members

She was driving home from work. She was living in California with her husband at the time. He was not very sensitive about her diabetes even though we constantly reminded him to be. I guess she thought she could make it home for supper but, she went to low and had a seizure according to some people who witnessed the accident. It was a terrible head on collision. Not only did we lose our sister but another family lost their daughter too. We do have my very precious niece who is the picture of her mommy though! I miss her so much and want to do anything I can to help find a cure for diabetes. As a Mom, I am desperately afraid of losing my kids to the same type of accident.

7. T_Adelaide

T_Adelaide Approved members

I would have liked our family to take part in the TrialNet study, but my eldest 2 chilren (both teenagers) refused to take part in it.

8. JasonJayhawk

JasonJayhawk Approved members

For TrialNet, does one must have transport to one of the TrialNet facilities, or do they send you to a local blood collection facility?

9. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Go to www.diabetestrialnet.org and that will give you more info on where the sites are located. Our endo's office is participating in the study, so we just go to our local office.

10. zookpr

zookpr Approved members

TrialNet sent us the paperwork to sign by fedex and is sending the lab orders to our doctors office. So we don't have to travel anywhere extra.