- advertisement -

Cloudy Pump tubing

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by nyholli, Feb 13, 2012.

1. nyholli

nyholli Approved members

Good morning everyone! Hope all is well. I have a question that I'm hoping someone can answer. My 6 year old is pumping with Ping and Humalog and we are using inset 30 sets. The tubing gets cloudy in spots and I'm wondering what the heck that is. We change sets every 2 to 3 days and replace cartridge and tubing probably every 4 Or so. I wait for the insulin to get low in the cartridge and I usually fill to 95-110 units. Is this the crystallizing of Humalog? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. JaxDad

JaxDad Approved members

That happens with my sons tubing too sometimes. I'm guessing that it is where he stretched it or bent it at some point and what we are seeing is a result of the stress in the tubing. I've never seen a problem from it.

Come to think of it I've never tried to duplicate it either. I'll do some experimenting next time we change his set.

3. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

We see those too. It appears to be stress marks on the tubing.

4. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

Yep it's wear and tear on the tubing. Take an old piece of tubing and try crimping, kinking and stretching it - you should see the same cloudy marks.

5. minniem

minniem Approved members

Our CDE told us it's because the tubing is double walled. The cloudy mark is when the two walls touch from stress on the tubing. We see it a lot when DS has his tubing bunched up in his pump pack, and less so when he uses a clip to hold the pump.

6. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

Yes, the tubing is double walled. It's an outer tube glued over an inner tube. Flexing can cause them to separate. It's not a problem, other than it looks like air bubbles.

7. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

we see this more when she's wearing a clip vs. a pump pouch. At first I confused them as air bubbles, but upon closer inspection you can tell its where the tubing kinked.