- advertisement -

Clinic too far!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Pammers, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Pammers

Pammers Approved members

Hi guys. Haven't posted in a while, but need your help.

Joey started Lindergarten. Got everyone trained. Things going well. All testing/ttreatment done in clinic about 50 ft. from classroom.

Problem: Classroom moving to portable about 1,000 ft from office for duration of school renovation (1 yr). That's TOO far! Gave admin/health services some suggestions (moving the clinc/moving the class to a closer location) but my concerns are falling on deaf ears. They basically told me all I can do is send him to another school in the distrrict until the renovation is over.

Can anyone quote some laws that protect my d kid? I believe reasonable accomodations can and should be made. I believe he shouldn't have an unreasonable time out of class (already out so much!) and the emergency response would be delayed.

I need to nail this down with them in the next 2 weeks, and I just don't know the quickest, most effective way to get this done.

Any suggestions?

2. Pammers

Pammers Approved members

They are also now telling me that if the nurse calls me, she is not to deviate from the written doctor's orders per my instructions - EVEN IF THE DOCTOR GIVES WRITTEN ORDERS TO THAT EFFECT. If I want anything done differently, I must come to the school and do it myself. AAARGH!!!!!!

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Do you have a 504?

4. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

5. Pammers

Pammers Approved members

Paula, thank you so much! I;'ve only begun to read the first document but already i think it will be helpful.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

(never thought of looking under doh)

6. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

What about having someone walk down to the clinic with him, or have the nurse come to him?

I can understand that it would be difficult for them to find another classroom closer, so you may have to think outside of the box to keep him safe during the renovations.

7. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

I would say make the nurse come to him, but then again I am against kids leaving the classroom to even go 50 yrds

8. Pammers

Pammers Approved members

well, i guess that i could suggest that. maybe that will get their buns moving.

yes, have the school nurse leave the clinic at least 5 times a day to walk 1000 feet and back. :D

9. wvchinacat

wvchinacat Approved members

CAn he not check in his room? the nurse comes to Willow everyday to dose - but she keeps snacks, drinks, glucose tabs and her meter in the classroom in a lock box. I would def. get ADA involved. He is way to young to have to walk that far.

VIcki