- advertisement -

Class Room Testers

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Dan, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Dan

Dan Approved members

For those of you who have 2nd or 3rd graders who test in the class room...

Who treats if your child is low or high?

Does your child self treat lows with sugar tablets or go to nurse?

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Ours started in 3rd grade. There was an aide in the classroom who was assigned to my dd for 25% of her day. She was a terrific, smart, interested student teacher who double checked the meter reading and helped my dd think through, " I'm 66 and PE is next period and I didn't eat much breakfast therefore I should have a juice and 1/2 a bar before PE and then check again after science" sort of thing. I made up a sight-card type ring of index cards with some guidelines that helped the aide help Maddie. The next year she was on her own and had it all down pat.

3. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Starting in 2nd grade, my son would test in the class room if he felt low. If low, he would drink a juicebox, and the teacher would call the nurse who would come down to the classroom to retest and give a snack (if a snack was needed)

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

2nd grade, nurse came to her, or if she felt low, she would test herself (now, her teacher was also T1 and had a good sense when things weren't right).

3rd grade, she would test, class aide would check number then tell her to have a snack or call the nurse to find out what should be done.

5. bisous

bisous Approved members

Thank you for posting your suggestions. DS will be going into 3rd next year and is now testing himself.

6. Gsmama

Gsmama Approved members

Second grade...tested self...teachers followed chart to help him.

Third grade...tested self...teachers followed chart to help him but called nurse to verify (their choice).

Fourth grade...we shall see :)

7. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

Taylor was going to test in the classroom this yr. We were going to work out all the details. But it looks like we will be moving before school starts. So now I have to start over. Dont even know if there will be a school nurse where we end up. We were told we wers very lucky we had a school nurse there at all times.

8. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

At the school, we had a T1 2nd grader, and when she felt low/high in the classroom, she would test (the teacher would help if she needed it), and then if low, the teacher would give her a juice and IM the nurse for further instructions. If she was in specials, she was sent to the nurse with a buddy, although each specials instructor had juice boxes in case of a really bad low or lockdown. She went to the nurse's office after lunch to bolus.

9. andeefig

andeefig Approved members

This is our plan for 2nd grade, too. He'll still see the nurse before snacks, lunch and gym, but for those "I think I'm low" times, he'll check, treat if necessary and then be seen by nurse. He's good about assessing something like "I feel low, but I'm 85 so I'm not technically low, but I'm going to see the nurse anyway because I'm probably going to go low if I feel it".