- advertisement -

Cinnamon helping with insulin for someone with T1

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ChocolateLover, Nov 19, 2010.

1. ChocolateLover

ChocolateLover Approved members

I would not count on cinnamon to help with BG management but has their been a study saying it helped especially during the teen horomone spurt years? :confused:

Have a happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Gobble Gobble! or OINK oink if you are having ham.

Jen

2. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I have heard type 2's using Cinnamon. I am not sure how much you would have to eat.

3. HERMSman

HERMSman Approved members

Cleaning out the turkey fryer pot this weekend. Re-fill with fresh oil and deep fried turkey for thanksgiving for the tenth year in a row.

I use Emeril's cajun spice to inject into the bird and it is mighty fine eating for T-giving.

4. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

You can buy cinnamon capsules. I can't imagine eating enough to help! I have a friend with T2 and cinnamon capsules have helped her tremendously. Apparently it helps with sensitivity/uptake of insulin, so if that's an issue with hormones and such, it could help T1. I don't know anything more about it though.

In my mind it is one of those "do no harm" type things and is worth a try if you are battling sensitivity issues.

5. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

It doesn't work.

Diabetes Care. 2007 Apr;30(4):813-6.
    The effect of cinnamon on A1C among adolescents with type 1 diabetes.

Altschuler JA, Casella SJ, MacKenzie TA, Curtis KM.

Department of Biological Sciences, Dartmouth College, Hanover, New Hampshire, USA.
    Abstract

OBJECTIVE: The purpose of this study was to determine the effect of cinnamon on glycemic control in adolescents with type 1 diabetes.

RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODS: Using a prospective, double-blind, placebo-controlled design, 72 adolescent type 1 diabetic subjects were treated in an outpatient setting with cinnamon (1 g/day) or an equivalent-appearing placebo for 90 days. A1C, total daily insulin intake, and adverse events were recorded and compared between groups.

RESULTS: There were no significant differences in final A1C (8.8 vs. 8.7, P = 0.88), change in A1C (0.3 vs. 0.0, P = 0.13), total daily insulin intake, or number of hypoglycemic episodes between the cinnamon and placebo arms.

CONCLUSIONS: Cinnamon is not effective for improving glycemic control in adolescents with type 1 diabetes.

6. Lee

Lee Approved members

Cinnamon can lower blood sugar in Type 2's. It is not recommended in Type 1's becuase it is variable - sometimes it will lower BS by a point or 2, sometimes it will lower it by 30 or 40, so it causes ALOT of unpredictable lows. My ex-stepdad used to take it for years and he always had very bad unpredictable lows. I finally convinced my mom to stop feeding it to him and the lows disappeared.

BTW - my mom is borderline Type 2, she was waking up at 120, 130 for months. She added the capsules to her routine and her BS is in the 90's again.

7. mandapanda1980

mandapanda1980 Approved members

My grandmother has T2 and she swears by it. She takes a teaspoon of dry cinn.(blegh) at bedtime and it keeps her level good in the morning. If she doesn't take it she could be anywhere between 50 and 100 higher when she checks her bg in the morning. It was fun when dd was diagnosed with T1 to explain that cinn. Doesn't help T1 the way it does with T2 but it definately seems to help balance T2 issues

8. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

OK, I retract my statement that it's a "do no harm" thing! Sounds like it's something a T1 shouldn't try.