- advertisement -

Chromium picolinate

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by maciasfamily, May 22, 2012.

1. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

You are right on target. One of the authors is employed by a company called Nutrition 21. If that sounds familiar, it is because that is the same company that sells the branded version of Chromium Picolinate called Chromax. The same drug that is referenced in the paper. Hmmm.... Unbiased? Independent? No.

One of them works for Avon, the global beauty company.

One of them works for a little company called PepsiCo.

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  2. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

I would expect insulin to be listed since one of the apparent side effects is hypoglycemia.

3. Michelle'sMom

More reading:

https://www.blueshieldca.com/bsca/health-wellness/health-library/article.sp?articleId=HWHN-2829000

http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=19084&highlight=chromium

You might ask buggle's opinion. She posted about chromium here:
    http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=19593&highlight=chromium&page=3

& here:
    http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=19040&highlight=chromium

In the end, we all have to choose what's best for children. I would advise doing a LOT of research & as Becky suggested, discuss it with your endo. You might be surprised at the info you get there. Best of luck!

4. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

I do know a child that is in my daughter's grade that was dx around the same time as Hana with T1. So over 2 years. The child still only gets Lantus. When she was dx, her mother took her to a holistic doctor who is working directly with the endo (the same endo we use).
    I do know that one of the supplements that she takes is chromium as well as several others. She is monitored still by the endo. The endo doesn't know if this is why she still only requires lantus but she said to keep doing what they are doing.
    I'm not saying that it has helped. It could be that she has a very strong honeymoon.

5. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Here is the FDA's site and what they have to say about Chromium supplements

http://www.fda.gov/Food/LabelingNutrition/LabelClaims/QualifiedHealthClaims/ucm073992.htm#chromium

Chromium Picolinate & Diabetes
    Docket No. 2004Q-0144
    08/25/2005 enforcement discretion letter25

Claim Statement

One small study suggests that chromium picolinate may reduce the risk of insulin resistance, and therefore possibly may reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes. FDA concludes, however, that the existence of such a relationship between chromium picolinate and either insulin resistance or type 2 diabetes is highly uncertain.

Eligible Foods

Dietary supplements
    Factors

Dietary supplement containing chromium should meet or exceed the requirement for a "high" level of chromium as defined in 21 CFR 101.54(b) (i.e., 24 mg or more per reference amount customarily consumed under the current regulation) for FDA to exercise enforcement discretion.

The claim meets all applicable statutory and regulatory requirements under the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, with the exception of the requirement that a health claim meet the significant scientific agreement standard and the requirement that the claim be made in accordance with an authorizing regulation

So yeah, the FDA says there is no proof that it does anything. But that doesnt mean squat. The FDA is an overburdened federal agency.

I think that this "Is this really helpful for a T1? Someone mentioned it to me, and I did a brief google search. Seems more useful to a T2.

Just wondering if it's one of those "cure's for diabetes" people like to say to us. "

Which was what the OP asked originally got so blown out of proportion:confused: She never said that she thought she might give her CWD massive amounts of this supplement to see if it would cure her child. The fact is is that there are many foods that contain miniscule amounts of this mineral which is a necessary nutrient. And my suggestion is that she try to work more of these foods into her son's diet with minimal cooking and processing if possible. AFTER discussing it with her childs endo. And as a PP mentioned. This person is not the first person to want to ask questions about it. Gosh, I hope nobody brings up cinnamon anytime soon:rolleyes:

6. Christopher

Right, because if anyone dare give their opinion, ask a question, or not totally agree with an OP, they are accused of jumping at people, blowing things out of proportion or being just plain mean.

Whatever happened to good old fashioned discussion of differing ideas without people getting defensive or offended? Oh well....

7. Becky Stevens mom

And whatever happened to people asking simple questions?:confused: The OP wasnt asking for opinions. She wasnt asking for people to agree with her. She wasnt trying to debate a political position. And whoever said anyone was being mean? She asked a simple question about something and got several comments. Im sure she will be happy to peruse them and discuss this issue with her endo. I thought that's what people suggested that posters do. Go talk to your endo.

8. swellman

swellman Approved members

Seriously? Really? Simple question?

Is it not bad enough that people have to come here to get help and support for a disease they most likely have absolutely no idea why it happened or how to treat it past their woefully incomplete and mind shattering introduction at the ER that hey have to wade through some woo woo BS about what they can give their child. What is chromium supposed to do, EXACTLY TO HELP?

Maybe, JUST MAYBE they use a little less insulin.

No one here is jumping on the OP for asking a question - simple or not. The problem is giving credence to something that can only give false hope and possibly sidetrack people who are inclined to go the "natural" route to address their child's medical needs. We don't need to muddy the waters ... the answer should have been:

Nope ... save your money and hope.

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  9. maciasfamily

maciasfamily Approved members

Thanks everyone for your comments. This seems to have been blown way out of proportion.

And if someone would have said, nope not useful to T1's, I would have said "thank you so much for telling me...I didn't know for sure from what I read"...and this story would have been dropped.

Hope everyone had a great evening, and good morning & Happy Wednesday to everyone! :)

10. Becky Stevens mom

And you are an expert on this how? I never said it would cure her child's diabetes. Show me where I or anyone else said that. Show me where anyone gave her false hope. She asked a question, others gave her answers or links to look at with more info. If you dont feel that it would do your CWD any good, fine, dont try it. But dont say that you know that it could never help at all if you are not an expert in this subject. Maybe she should discuss it with her endo. Maybe her endo knows more then you do. Wow, what a concept that someone might know more then you do about type 1 and Chromium use:rolleyes:

11. Michelle'sMom

Um...I beg to differ....but thanks for speaking for every member here. ;)

The purpose of this forum is to learn. The OP asked a question. Since she admitted she knew nothing about the subject, I can only assume she was interested in learning. Links provided offered both pros & cons. Ultimately, parents make the decisions for their kids based on the best info available, & hopefully, when links are provided they're willing to read a little more in-depth...which leads to more learning.

Or we could all just rely solely on the opinions of specific posters. That doesn't work well for me, so I choose to seek info on my own. Possibly an assumption as big as the one above, but I assume the OP is capable of doing that as well.

12. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

To the OP: I am one of the fringe people who research and do give my son supplements. Do I think it will CURE him, no I do not. But I do believe it helps stabilize his swings and maximizes his innate responses. If I can do anything that preserves even a cell's function in his pancreas I am going to do that. If I can do something to help his nerves, eyes, kidneys, whatever stay healthy, I am going to do that.

There are many supplements which can be helpful, but you have to research them thoroughly and weigh the pros and cons.

I am one of those people who avoid doctors unless I can't treat myself, uses herbal medicinals and common remedies for most childhood illnesses, and I don't personally trust the advice of most physicians. Clearly I am reliant on one for management of T1, but other than that, I use a combo of allopathic and natural treatments in our approach to disease with very good success. For example I do not treat fever unless it is high enough to cause damage to the body. I have successfully avoided antibiotics for many infections that a physician would have tossed them at, etc. So I am not without experience (and I also work in healthcare).

Anytime alternative treatments are brought up on this website, a fairly negative reaction happens, don't take it personally. It stems, IMO, from all the crazy "cures" thrown at diabetics over the ages and the very real danger present if trusted (i.e., give your kid this tree bark and take him off insulin).

Supplements have a place in T1 management for those who know and understand them. They do not replace insulin, reduce insulin, or otherwise cure anything, but they can be a helpful tool in your toolbox, IMO.

I have not found CWD website to be particularly open to alternative ideas, so don't take it personally, it's not you!

13. Michelle'sMom

Very well said!

14. maciasfamily

maciasfamily Approved members

If I could give a "like" I would like this post. Thanks very much!

15. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Many years ago before kids I had a fantastic doctor (medical degree from Harvard, now retired) who was also into supplements, nutrition, meditation, exercise and anything else that worked.

He was an MD but very into the holistic approach to healthcare. He actually diagnosed me with celiac YEARS before anyone had any idea what he was talking about. (I had been to countless gastros with no luck.)

Because I'd had untreated celiac I was in rough shape, I had fatigue and low blood sugar episodes that left me dizzy (NOT from diabetes, just hypoglycemia). He suggested chromium picolinate and it clearly helped level things out.

For me, it helped. I've thought about giving it to Ava but I hesitate because supplements are NOT well regulated by the FDA.

"Under the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994 (DSHEA), the dietary supplement or dietary ingredient manufacturer is responsible for ensuring that a dietary supplement or ingredient is safe before it is marketed. FDA is responsible for taking action against any unsafe dietary supplement product after it reaches the market. Generally, manufacturers do not need to register their products with FDA nor get FDA approval before producing or selling dietary supplements.*" (That said, I do give my kids multivitamins, go figure)

It makes me very nervous to give a supplement that can alter blood sugar. I also worry about it causing lows.

I have used it with success, but I am not a type one. And I have not given it to Ava, though now I will bring it up at her next endo appointment and see what her endo's thoughts are.

16. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

I gave it to my DD for 3 years after diagnosis. She was on 1 shot a day (NPH and Novolog in the morning) for those 3 years until she hit puberty and her honeymoon ended. Once she had to increase the number of shots she needed, she refused to take any vitamins or supplements any more and still won't. It is a very inexpensive supplement. The homeopath appointments cost a lot more. I think it was worth every penny.

My endo was fine with the supplements I was giving her and only vetoed Niacinamide (so I did not give it to her). We all do what we think is best for our children.

17. Becky Stevens mom

Yes,This. I am the first person to get real ugly and in someone's face when they try to tell me that I should just put Steven on the paleo diet, give him cinnamon, give him raw foods only, give him cow dung,etc, etc and he will be cured of his type 1 diabetes. I hate that BS!!! I think its cruel to do that to anyone and I would be the last person to do it. But I do think that its a good idea for all of our kids to get the best nutrition possible, to get all the nutrients they need. Kids often dont eat what we would want them too and a multi-vitamin may help with that. With the doctors ok of course! And the idea of cooking vegetables as little as possible to keep the maximum amount of micronutrients from being boiled away isnt really a dangerous idea. And if one gets more micronutrients in their diet it can help with all sorts of things, not just type 1 but possibly reducing the risk of complications later. I for one could give a rats arse if I can give Steven a unit or 2 less each day. Theyre still making insulin:rolleyes: But if I can make sure that he has all the vitamins, minerals and micronutrients that his body needs then I will do that and imagine that it will do him no harm and may actually help

18. Christopher

I guess this is one of the things I was trying to explain earlier (apparently not very sucessfully). My concern is that there is no oversight in the manufacture of these supplements. They can put anything they want in there, they can have filthy manufacturing conditions, no quality checks, no nothing, and they can still sell them to the unsuspecting public.

If people want to put stuff like that into their children's bodies, then go for it, and if it helps them, hey, that is great. But I don't feel comfortable doing it and I don't see any problem with my posts expressing my concerns.

I think it is much better to get things from their natural source (i.e. fruits and vegs) as you have pointed out. You and I are not as different in our views as you may think. I agree with most things you usually post.

19. lisab

lisab Approved members

I have used Holistic therapies/supplements inconjuncion with Orthodox Medicine my whole life.... when my daughter Yasmine was diagnosed in 2005.... we started her on Chromium supplements along with others.... her Endo fully aware of these supplements and supportive. (Yasmine's Endo has been a Pead Endo for more than 30yrs, President of Diabetes Australia as well as heavily involved with Diabetes Research and Clinical Trials) Yas had a strong honeymoon for nearly 4yrs on minimal insulin. Her insulin requirements have only recently drastically increased due to pre-puberty hormones starting to play havoc.

Although there has been periods of times where we have stopped the Chromium for a few months to see the difference in her overall bg's which would often result in swinging bg's more highs and more lows during that time....along with increased insulin..... once started back on Chromium her bg's would 'settle' and we would see an increase in the percentage of bg's within target range and improvement in A1c.

This has been 'our' experience with Chromium.... with no adverse affects that we have noted... I think if anyone should wish to start their D child on any supplements... it should be researched and discussed with your Child's Endo and monitored by your medical team.

20. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

Ok. I know I may be bashed for admitting that I want to give chromium a try for our dd, but I need to post on here to ask a question about it to those who are using it as a supplement. The recommended dose for 9 years and up is 21 mcg, and for women up to 50 years it is 25 mcg, but at the health food store and at the pharmacy it is sold no less than 400 mcg (capsules). So how do you give your child the reommended dose? I suppose i can open the cap and sprinkle a bit onto her food but do you all buy the 400 mcg as well or have you found it supplied in a more recommended dosage?