- advertisement -

Christopher is in the hospital, stomach bug and a ques?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by chocoholicsc, Nov 12, 2012.

1. chocoholicsc

chocoholicsc Approved members

Hello everyone!

On Saturday night he started vomitting at 8pm and all throughout the night. By Sunday morning he was pale and weak with major stomach pains. He was very dehydrated and even a small ice cube made him throw up. So we went to the hospital and they admitted us. He's been on IV fluids since Sunday, although they turned it off a few hours ago. My question is that they are trying to discharge us and he has not been able to eat or drink anything since Saturday...? I'm not comfortable with that because I think we are going to be in the same situation all over again. Just wondering what y'all think about it..?

Thanks!!

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Has your endo been involved in the hospitalization? If not, I'd bring them in. If so, and he/she is on board with this discharge I'd want a specific plan of action and their cell #. Good luck! Sorry he had to go through that.

3. Dan

Dan Approved members

I agree 100% with Sarah

4. Jaredsmom

Jaredsmom Approved members

When Jared was in the hospital with vomiting they would not release him to go home until he was able to eat and drink without vomiting and they didn't take out his IV until he was ready to be discharged. If he is not able to eat and drink without vomiting he needs to stay in the hospital period and they need to keep the IV fluids going. Also if he has diarrhea that will lead to dehydration and inability to absorb nutrients from food.

5. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

Unfortunately, your experience is what we have anytime we go in with vomiting only you were lucky to get admittance.

6. chocoholicsc

Thanks so much everyone for the advice.
    I ended uo just allowing them to release us hoping that he would get better quicker at home. We got home late last night. Today he's been laying on the couch most of the day and has had nothing to eat and only drank 1 juice box, he has sipped it all day and now it's empty. His last meal was Saturday night! His stomach hurts really bad and he says now he feels like he needs to throw up again...?! What is this??! What would you do?
    As a side note, his bg has been stable throughout all of this, fortunately.

7. chocoholicsc

Crap, just checked bg again...53...help!

Help! :eek:

8. mamateach

mamateach Approved members

ketones

Does he have ketones? If you can't get him to eat or drink anything to bring up his bg, you can give him a mini-glucagon to bring it up. You mix it up and then use a regular syringe to give the glucagon. I believe it is one unit per year of age. Hope he gets better soon.

9. mrcool

mrcool Approved members

Have you given him any anti-vomiting meds? My son just had the short stomach flu, I gave him Zofran, and it saved us. We pushed Seven-up & gatorade, and also run majorly reduced temp basals. How are the ketones?

If nothing works, I second mini-glucagon.