- advertisement -

Christian diabetes conference?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pianoplayer4, Feb 10, 2012.

?

Would you be interested in a Christian Diabetic retreat?

1. yes, I would

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  2. yes, but I'm not in the area

13 vote(s)
    35.1%
  3. no, I'm not interested

21 vote(s)
    56.8%
  1. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I'm not sure if this is something I have to check with Jeff or not...

I've felt recently that God was leading me to start a christian diabetes conference, it would be an all day sort of thing with speakers talking about approaching d from a christian perspective (not like "don't take insulin cause God will heal you"). More dealing with "how can God use my d?" and "Accepting d as part of Gods plan" sort of stuff, also just fellowship with one another. It would be in the general Philly area.

2. selketine

selketine Approved members

Over the years I've seen many references to "diabetes weekends" or retreats focusing on diabetes and X (yoga, weight loss, sports, etc). I suppose it would help attract people if you open it up to diabetes in general - so for those with type 2 or type 1 - since it seems your topic could appeal to both groups and the information presented isn't necessarily specific to one type of diabetes (as it might be with sports).

I don't know how you would present the information and make it accessible and relevant across the range of Protestant, Catholic and Orthodox groups if that is your intention.

Some religious groups hold large annual meetings and I wonder if it would be applicable for you to conduct a seminar at one of those. I can also imagine that many churches would be interested in bringing in someone to do a workshop on diabetes and faith - which might be another option for you to consider - if you would be interested in leading that discussion. That is something you could start on a local level and build on.

3. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I'm not christian. this would be a predudiced group! With all the religions AND non religeous people, it's insulting to me.

4. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

I wouldn't find it insulting, if you aren't interested.. you just wouldn't go. I wouldn't go to a or conference that wasn't geared towards something I wasn't into. Like you wouldn't find me at a rock climbing conference but I am not insulted that they exist.

If you look on TuDiabetes, there is a large Christian Diabetics group. Best of luck, I love it when younger people are passionate about religion.

5. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

With the topics you mentioned you might try to open it up to parents who have children who are dealing with other chronic illnesses as well.
    Something I've been praying through as well.
    We are no where near Philly, so even if I'd like to, I wouldn't be able to attend.

6. Mish

Mish Approved members

why not ask FFL to add a Christian Diabetes session?

7. pianoplayer4

to those of you who think that the idea is insulting, I don't think you understand the idea. I want to reach out to other Christians who live with diabetes, I'm not saying that Christians with diabetes are better than non Christians with d, I'm just saying I would like to reach out/ start a conference/ retreat for diabetics with a focus on God.

For those of you who said you would like to do something like this but don't live in the area, would you be interested in joining a chat online? just a once a week type of thing where we could chat and share prayer requests and just fellowship.

8. ciarak

ciarak Approved members

@pianoplayer4- I'd probably be interested in joining a chat online once a week or so if other people were interested too :)
    I don't understand how its insulting though to people?? if its not your thing then don't vote, thats how i'd see it?
    :cwds:

9. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

I personally don't feel it belongs at FFL - FFL is united and our differences do not separate us. I love interacting with people from all faiths, religions, and cultures there.

10. buckmarko

buckmarko Approved members

I'm pretty new on here, and I'm not sure how chat works- haven't been on there yet- but I would be interested if I were available at the time. There is power in prayer, and I wouldn't mind at all praying for others, and others praying for me. I think it would help me to connect with fellow believers who understand what I'm going through. :)

11. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Agreed.
    I think if this is something you feel strongly about, start in your own church community and branch out from there to other churches, but IMO it doesn't really hold a place at FFL. There we are all one...

12. pianoplayer4

I agree, I never said it should be part of FFL, some one else did.

The chat would not be through this site, I'll look around and see if there are any good sites to have it at. I have experience with wiziq and it could work but its more of a class type setting (white board with chat box)

The Idea isn't to separate people, its to bring together people of the same faith, anyone would be welcome, but the focus of the group would be God.

13. swellman

swellman Approved members

I'm sorry but that's pure gold.

14. pianoplayer4

If someone wanted to talk about sports at a conference or online chat I wouldn't think they were 'separating people' I'd think, "that's nice, people who like basket ball can meet each other" would I go? no, I'm not a sports person, but I wouldn't think they were being exclusive... you don't have to agree with my beliefs, but please don't mock them.

15. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I think the poster was simply noting the irony of your statement. By way of example ... as an atheist, would I, be "welcome"? :rolleyes: Perhaps Swellman was simply noting that your definition of, "anyone", doesn't quite include, "everyone". ;)

And that's not mocking you, it's just suggesting that you be mindful that not everyone is a theist. ;)

But good luck with your project. We all need to do what we need to do.;)

16. pianoplayer4

ummm, Anyone would be welcome, does that mean everyone will want to come? no. But every one would be welcome.

17. Mom2Will

Mom2Will Approved members

I think it is refreshing to see a young woman of faith doing what she has been called to do. You go, follow your heart and do not let anyone interfere or deter you.

Philemon 1:6 NIV I pray that you may be active in sharing your faith, so that you will have a full understanding of every good thing we have in Christ.

18. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

I absolutely encourage anyone to find the best place that they belong in dealing with the tough stuff. Just be aware that "the God of our understanding" is many things to many people. If you really want to encourage a variety of spiritual people to join in on a discussion of D from a spiritual point of view, you might want to drop the "Christian" part of it and change it to something more inclusive...like "Higher Power"! Just a suggestion!;)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  19. lakevictoria

lakevictoria Approved members

"Don't let anyone look down on you for being young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity." 1 Timothy 4:12

You go girl!

20. Mish

Mish Approved members

:rolleyes: yeah the same Paul who was writing to Timothy told him in chapter 2:11-12 that women should just be quiet and not teach. Can't take these things out of context. If you're going to quote something for a woman, for the love of God, don't quote Paul.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012