- advertisement -

Chiropractor care- low bg all night

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Omo2three, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

Has anyone taken their child w D to chiropractor...notice low bg afterwards?

This is what happened, ambrea is getting back treatment for her scoliosis, and the chiro says be alert she may have lower bg after an adjustments, because of the nerves being released or stimulated from the adjustments.

If its not related to exercise or food you will know its from the chiro visit.

Our night ...she was treated at 3:30 bg was 143
    5pm bg 50 ate 85g dinner
    8pm 127 :)
    11pm rechecked bg 48 gave 16g juice suspended pump
    11:15 bg40, more juice 15g bg 50 gogurt 13g
    bg 58, bg 64, bg 84 reduced basal 50% rechecked at 1am 103
    2am bg 60 wth? reduced basal to 80%
    4am bg 125

oh just to note she had a shake before bed.....and usually after a Ice cream we are chasing 200s to 300s all night long.
    fyi....chiro won't cure her diabetes...but it can help w her spine ..
    So if you have low bg w tx could you pm me or post...wondering how long it lasts for...or if I am missing something else here...she broke her hand so activity is nilch, sickness? hormones?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  2. Omo2three

She woke up at 6:30 with a 225 so the reduced 80% was a bit too much...I should of went with 60%

I am still figuring this out with the pump.

So if your pumping and you have some Low Bg how much of % do you reduce your temp basal.

I forgot to ask in my first post which is the whole reason i was here...I am a bit tired...foggy brain this morning

The other thing is I thought at first maybe she took too much insulin with her shake....but then the juice and carbs would of balanced it out. I am having a :confused::confused::confused: moment...now what is going on with her bg. tweaking needed or just a temp basal.

3. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Wow, that is really frustrating about the lows. I wonder how the whole chiropractic manipulations affect insulin sensitivity.

Anyway, I don't have any equations.:eek: I would just have gone with the flow and reducing the basal by 1/2 at first until BG was up, then maybe kept it at 80% overnight. That's all I would have done.

I hope you have a better day.

4. Omo2three

thanks Paula! well I guess we will find out for sure if its chiro....because we go 2x a week...this is her first visit...

hey I usually go with the flow...right or wrong......i printed out all her numbers today to see if its a pattern of lows or just an isolated event.
    Pretty much isolated here....:confused::confused:

5. StillMamamia

I have been googling like a nut trying to find out exactly how chiropractic manips affect insulin sensitivity.:eek::eek::eek:

It must have something to do with decreased blood pressure. Would that increase the rate of insulin absorption?? Aaaaaahhhh, I hate not having an answer.:rolleyes:

6. Toni

Toni Banned

Don't know about chiropractor care and lows (from your post, it sounds like it IS happening). Nothing against chiropractors for pain relief, maybe other issues with the back. But I hope the chiropractor is not claiming he can do anything for scoliosis. They absolutely can't.

7. Omo2three

We are getting other treatment for scoliosis

You know the poor kid has been through enough already this year...D, scoliosis, broken hand,

As far as the Low Bg from chiropractor care ....doesn't really make sense to me...so I was curious if anyone else noticed this.

The only other thing is new vitamins....can that cause lows?

8. StillMamamia

Question. Does she feel relaxed when being at the chiropractor?

9. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I see a Chiro every two weeks, no noticable effects on BG

10. Omo2three

No anxiety w chiro treatment...she said it helps her w pain relief

11. Omo2three

We are getting other treatment for scoliosis (PT, massages, orthopedic surgeon, and we are waiting on a 2nd consult from Shriners)
    You know the poor kid has been through enough already this year...D, scoliosis, broken hand,

As far as the Low Bg from chiropractor care ....doesn't really make sense to me...so I was curious if anyone else noticed this.

The only other thing is new vitamins....can that cause lows?

12. Toni

Toni Banned

I know you see an ortho and have appropriate treatment for your DD's scoliosis. I just had to mention about the chiropractors, though, because there are some out there who claim they can treat scoliosis itself. There is even a woman who invented a set of exercises that claims she can treat scoli with her exercises alone. She has clinics in Europe. Not against the exercises or chiropractic care, just not in lieu of bracing or surgery or whatever an ortho recommends. I see you are using it in addition to, which is good. There may be some kind of connection re highs and lows that has not been documented because just prior to DN's VBS surgery, we were using 3.25 units per hour of basal (yes, tested). Endo thought too much and odd. After VBS surgery, growth spurt period, highest 6p to midnight number kept going down to a highest basal of 2.15, usually 2.0. This did take two or three months. She has progressed 10 degrees and we are going in to have the temporary hybrid rod lengthened (which should straighten her back back down to 13 degrees). Her evening blood sugar basals are up to 2.95. Endo has asked us not to adjust the basals upward this time, and handle it through decreasing ICR. So from 1 to 13 down to 1 to 7. Canadian study demonstrating a connection between the nervous system and Type 1 (forgot where or what it is; on line here somewhere, I think). If the decrease in insulin seems to be permanent and reliable after chiropractic care, well, I would just keep going to the chiropractor. But not if the drops are sporadic and hard to control.

13. Omo2three

Another adjustment today...

again a stubborn low. this time I lowered her basal a bit to be ready for it....
    I really need to master this basal % concept in my head...reduced it 20% getting ready for another interesting quirky day.
    last time it lasted about 12 -15 hours

checking in on her at school ...teacher said she took chocolate milk today...figured she knew what she was doing....lol
    The teachers are impressed at how she handles her D.

Toni - oh thanks for sharing that info. oh we do see an Orhtopedic surgeon..one of the top ones in our state. I agree one has to be careful in making sure appropriate treatment is done. Amb has been getting good results with the chiro...so we will continue to see him too.

14. annaluvspink

annaluvspink Approved members

I have no documentation proving the theory of chiro care helping to manage high blood glucose---but, my aunt is a holistic wellness rep and she has briefly mentioned this to me. She said that her chiro has said that chiro care can help with blood glucose. I dismissed her claim (always cautious with family offering advice) and didn't ask questions--but, now, I am curious. Has anyone ever heard of this to be true?

I would be interested to know your daughter will see this pattern after chiro adjustments in the weeks ahead???

15. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Don't know about just adjustments causing lows, but massage and heat both cause lows. Soemthing to definitely be warned aobut as sometimes ppl don't realize that massage can cause really bad lows as it increases absorption. And of course heat can too. So if she is getting either or both with her adjustment then that might be what's causing the lows. When I went to the chiro I always got heat. they also sometimes use this stimulating machine, which I think can have an effect on insulin absorption too.

ETA: Oh, and also not being in pain may have something to do with lows given that strees hormones impact bg, in addition to the absorption issues above.

16. StillMamamia

I still haven't found anything.:eek: But read an article on massaging (funnily enough found on the ADA website) and some studies imply that this improves blood pressure, and causes relaxation (affecting the stress hormones). So I think this may be it - your stress levels are lowered, so insulin sensitivity is increased.

Don't quote me on it though.:D I may have limited understanding of things.:rolleyes:

17. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

The massaing doesn't work by relaxing you or causing hormonal changes, but rather by increasing absorption and circulation. If you massage or excercise the site of injection, it works too. Like if you do an injection in the thight then ride a bike, the absorption is increased moreso than if you used a different site. Or if you massaged it for 1/2 an hour, absorption is much greater. Or if you had a hot bath. Message and heat increase absorption, whereas pain relief will cause hormonal changes (pain causes highs) that may lower bs.

18. cmsullivan

cmsullivan Approved members

We've been under chiro care since before D and have never noticed any lows after our weekly adjustments

19. Omo2three

I just had to quote you...;)

she just gets an adjustment...no massage or heat. But the pain theory or lack of pain theory...less stress hormone...could be on target.

My Dh thinks her scoliosis or the curvature of her spine may be affecting her D. The nerves that pass through those areas are the same that go to the pancreas and other organs. He thinks by release pressure off the nerves it allows it to work better...kinda like a pinched wire....un-pinched better reception. ofcourse he is not a professional....just very observant

20. Toni

Toni Banned

This makes sense to me. After VBS surgery, her wacky evening insulin needs decreased substantially (less 1 unit an hour). Now she progressed back to
    T25. When they lengthen the rod, it will pull her back to 13 again... they believe. She's back to 2.75 to 2.95 an hour basal (though we have been trying to cover it with bolus insulin) during the evening hours. Back to 1.2 per hour by 1:30am. The adjustments are probably no where near her insulin site?