- advertisement -

Child's age, gender, and TDD

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Nancy in VA, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I know that there is a lot of YDMV when it comes to this, but I was compiling numbers tonight for Emma's endo appointment tomorrow, and the numbers shocked me.

She's 10 1/2 years old. She hasn't started full-blown puberty but I know she's got some pre-puberty going on.

Her TDD is around 58u a day! I know ADULTS that don't take that much insulin in a day!

So I'm curious as to your child's TDD (and their gender and age)

2. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Male, age 8, 75lbs, TDD ~26

3. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

Based on the chart for TDD by age, puberty status etc I have, says for "Females in early puberty" - usually need around 0.82 u/kg, and goes up to 0.97 u/kg in "mid puberty" which is still pre-menstruation. Almost a whole unit/kg! Thats way up from pre-pubertal that is around 0;6 range! So yah, I can imagine all of a sudden being shocked at how much they are getting!!

For what its worth, mine is now 5 years old, girl, weight around 55lbs, height over 50" (she's very big, size of a 7/8 year old). And her TDD is around 15-18 units/day. Right on that 0.6 range/kg

4. njswede

njswede Approved members

Male, 8 years old, 65lbs, 15-20 U/day (~0.5-0.6 U/day*kg). 9 months post diagnosis. Very tail end of honeymoon if I were to guess.

5. Mimikins

Mimikins Approved members

For a 20 year old female who was diagnosed 2 years ago, a little bit under 130lbs, and pumping.
    TDD = 17.52 units
    Basal = 7.44
    Bolus = 10.06 (1:16 IC for most of the day and 1:12 at breakfast)
    Average total bolused carbs = 130-160g

I think my TDD pre-pump was around 19-21 units of Lantus and about 10-11 units of Humalog/Novolog (TDD about 30 units). I lost about 20 pounds since starting the pump a year ago, so a very large portion of the difference in TDDs comes from that (I need to lower my TDD 5-10% for every 5 pounds lost)

6. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

DD, age 11, 68 lbs., TDD 22u. I think that if she did not swim a couple of time a week, her TDD would be a bit higher.

7. DiabetesMama

DiabetesMama Approved members

Son was 11 when diagnosed a year and a half ago. At age 11 before diagnoses, was weighing at 100 lbs. Lost 30 pounds in less than a month which we thought was a growth spurt. Now he weighs in at 118 lbs, over 5 feet tall.

TDD= 45.7 units
    Basal= 15.9
    Bolus= 29.8
    Average total bloused carbs = 230-240g (including occasional snacks, eats all the time...sighs...preteens)

I guess it really shouldn't matter how much they need as long as they are healthy. But when you leave the hospital on only 8 units Lantus, and I:c ratio of 1:15 or so, yeah, it does seem alarming when the amount of insulin increases that much. *Sighs* Love puberty, don't you?

8. forHisglory

forHisglory Approved members

Son is now 7 years old, 45lbs, TDD=7-8 units. About 3 basal and 5 bolus. We are currently in a increasing needs stage though so it might change. I'm looking at all these numbers and realizing he uses practically nothing! Yet...

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  9. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

DS is 13. TDD about 75u. (about 55% basal, 45% bolus)

DD is 11. TDD about 130u. (about 80% basal, 20% bolus)

10. dpr

dpr Approved members

Girl 9, 62 lbs, diagnosed almost 5 years ago, 17 units TDD. 12 units basal.

11. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Well, Emma weighs 95lbs. At least that's what she did 4 months ago. We'll find out tomorrow what she weights. At 0.97 in "mid puberty", that would calculate in 41 units. Still a lot less. But, Stacy above does have an 11DD with higher TDD - wasn't sure I'd see anyone with that high a TDD at her age. At this rate, I'm not looking forward to how quickly we'll burn through insulin!

12. Sprocket

Sprocket Approved members

My DD is 14, adult sized girl and gets 90 TDD with 2/3 of that basal.

13. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Well, I don't break it down by kid so I'd have to do some math, but as a household we went through 15 vials every two months (our mail order is 60 days). Huge change now because she only uses 20-30 units of Novolog a day and the rest is Toujeo. And I was surprised at the difference in switching. She uses 106u of Toujeo, which is quite a bit higher than her basal on the T:Slim. And, she has other health issues that I think affect her insulin needs. She's on meds for Graves' and arthritis, developed something last year that makes a1c results invalid and is on a med for insulin resistance. Her body has, for whatever reason, a high basal insulin need. Her boluses are relatively small and basal testing supports the high basals. I don't think she's anywhere close to a 'typical' tween in puberty but it's her body and it's what she needs. And I have no idea what will happen in the next few years and if it will go even higher, but to us it's just a number, and other than a miserable 3 minutes every night when she gets her Toujeo shots (we split the dose in half and do two injections), we never give it a thought.

14. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

I've always heard teens need more insulin than adults. My did is 13 and I think tdd is about 70-80u. Basal is 41u but I think it's s bit more than 50%. Keep in mind mdi usually requires more insulin than the pump. I've heard levemir usually requires higher doses too. And then there's whether you eat low carb at all too. We found the years just before her period started the hardest.

15. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

12 year old daughter (puberty in FULL swing) - TDD @75 - 80 units at last pump download, but has been going down in the past two months. I decreased basals about 15% across the board within the last two weeks. I will say that she is not an athlete, so while she is active, she doesn't have hours of soccer to bring that TDD down like my son would if he were T1.

16. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My daughter is 16. She peaked around 80 units per day. I just looked at her pump, and she's using about 45 units currently.

17. glko

glko Approved members

Son is 11 1/2 yrs, diagnosed 2 years ago. Weighs about 90lbs. Basal ranges 3-6 units/day and bolus dose 10-12 units/day so overage anywhere from 13-18Units/day TDD. He is very active with soccer and football, does not eat a low carb diet. MD says likely still honeymooning since he was diagnosed super early as part of TrialNet oral insulin/placebo trial.

18. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

12 yr old boy. TDD = 50u

19. lmf1122

lmf1122 Approved members

13 year old girl (still in early stage of puberty), 105 lbs., TDD around 45-50 units.

20. mwstock

mwstock Approved members

My son is 10, he is about 105 lbs...total daily insulin is 35-40 units, with about 50% basal insulin. Each child is different and the formulas are starting points, not rules for basal and bolus insulin. Each need tested and require change over time. The hardest part and most important, is to know when to adjust either or both to meet your child's insulin need. The teenage years will require the most insulin, then the need will be reduced during adulthood per our endocrinologist.