- advertisement -

Children's Congress Delegates in da house?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mama Belle, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

Anyone out there have a kid who's been a part of the JDRF Children's Congress? Samantha keeps getting emails from them about this and she has expressed some interest in applying. Anyone have experience with this? What did you think?

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I don't have any experience "yet" but I'm organizing volunteer guides and volunteer medical staff this year - benefit of being the "Capital Chapter" :)

Maybe I'll be able to meet a couple of you!

3. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

I'd really like Ryan to apply and WIN this year! I'm dying to go to DC...I used to live in VA and visited DC several times...it would be awesome to visit again. Oh, and be with Ryan while he speaks out for T1D!!!

4. T1Spouse&Proud

T1Spouse&Proud Approved members

My wife was the first Children's Congress for the ADA (way back), she loved it and wished she could have done it forever, in fact it influenced her entire academic and professional career. So go for it.

5. caspi

caspi Approved members

Cameron keeps getting the same emails -- he has shown no interest in it yet. I think as he gets older it will interest him more.

If Samantha does become a delegate, PLEASE LET ME KNOW! We're only about an hour from DC and I'd love to hook up with you guys!!! :cwds:

6. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

ROCK! A CWD gathering would definitely be in order. Although tons of people apply, so the chances of her being selected are rather slim. That's if she even decides to do it.:cwds:

7. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

My son was a delegate. It was a wonderful experience.

8. Kaileen

Kaileen Approved members

We have applied. Deirdre really wants to do this. It's good to see that she's not ashamed to talk about her diabetes.

9. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I'd like Kaylee to do this, but not sure if she's to young.. the end part of the application I'd have to do for her.. and I'm not sure thats the way its suppose to go.. I'd love her to do it, I think she'd have a lot of fun.. but I'd be the one filling out the application..

10. toohughey

toohughey Approved members

Caspi and I are in the same neighborhood and we would love to see ya!

My dd says "no way" to speaking in front of anyone. I wonder if we can go and watch??

TRACY

11. caspi

caspi Approved members

LOL! Wouldn't it be ironic, Tracy, if the first time we met was 75 miles from where we live??!! ;)

12. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

Jenny wants to apply too, this reminds me that we have to fill out the forms:p

13. Thoover

Thoover Approved members

DD has gotten a few emails about it. She thinks it would be cool. That would be awsome a little CWD get together. We are only 20 min from DC.

14. andeefig

andeefig Approved members

who selects the kids? The JDRF or the local congressman/woman that you write to?

15. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I'm pretty certain its the JDRF. This is a huge event sponsored by JDRF and you don't always meet with just your congressman. Its often a huge hearing with a congressional committee, etc, but they do have multiple people from each state, but obviously not every congressional district