advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chicken Pox Vac and Type 1 Diabetes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KitKat, Apr 16, 2010.

1. KitKat

KitKat Approved members

I remember someone stating or a study suggesting Chicken Pox Vac was linked to type 1 diabetes. Does anyone remember this or the site?

Thanks

2. WendyTT

WendyTT Approved members

I've never heard that the vaccine may cause T1--but have a little theory that chicken pox triggered my daughter's T1. She got the pox vaccine, then also got chicken pox--she was diagnosed 6 months after having it. I'm not trying to start a debate about what causes T1, etc etc. I'm sure I'll never know and what good does it do anyway--but have to admit I'll always be curious.

3. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

Amanda got her chicken pox vaccine after she was diagnosed with type 1. It was actually about 4 months later or so. as well as MMR...she had to get well from being in DKA before she could get these I remember that much..
    I would like to read the link too when someone posts it..

4. Tracy1918

Tracy1918 Approved members

Matthew got his chicken pox booster in August. By the next day, he had a fever and a rash.

Last month he was diagnosed with Type 1.

I will always wonder about that shot.

5. KitKat

KitKat Approved members

My son received the shot 3 months before being dx'd and he was sick with it within 12 hours from getting it. They are requiring my daughter to get it before going to 6th grade and I don't want her to get it.

6. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

No one knows what causes Type 1 diabetes. No one will be able to say for sure what (if anything) is linked to it. It is all just speculation.

7. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

My daughter got her 2nd dose 7 months before showing D symptoms. She'd gotten the 1st dose (back before they knew kids would need a 2nd) 7 years prior.

8. Jilleighn

Jilleighn Approved members

Loren was DX with D before she even got the chicken pox Vac, She should have gotten it like at 12 or 15 months, but we delayed it along with the MMR. Loren was Dx at 18months and got the chicken pox vac at 24 months

9. Denise

Denise Approved members

Molly had the chicken pox vaccine as a toddler and got her booster AFTER she was dx'd. My other three have all had both the vaccine and the booster with no issue..yet

10. lmf1122

lmf1122 Approved members

Samantha got the chicken pox and dTap vaccines about 6 months before she started wetting the bed and developing other symptoms, with no other illness or virus during that time. Her arm was very sore and hard and swollen for a couple weeks following the chicken pox vaccine.

I am also hesitant to get those vaccines for my younger daughter and have been putting them off.

11. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

Haven't heard of the Chicken Pox connection.

Of my 6 children, Melissa had a reaction to the MMR. It was significant enough for the ped to recommend delaying her other immunizations for a while. She was dx with D about 6 years later. Any connection? Who really knows? But it is a scary thought.

12. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

My kids both had the chicken pox, I think they were 2 and 3 (this was the late 90's - my kids may be a tad older than some of yours). Pediatrician did not recommend the vaccine, as at that time they didnt know how long it would last...so, they both ended up with chicken pox contracted in day care! :eek: My son was covered from head to toe, my daughter only about 25 pox. Who really knows, no one knows for sure what causes this, but hopefully, in the near future we will have the answer and the cure. :cwds:

13. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

FWIW, my son with D did not get the chicken pox vaccine, and still got D.;)
    He had chicken pox last year.

So many hypothesis...

14. Brandi's mom

Brandi's mom Approved members

Brandi didn't get the chicken pox vaccine. She got the chicken pox when she was 4 and wasnt diagnosed for 11 more years...

So there is no connection in our case.

15. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

The only vaccination that I know the manufacturer has listed Diabetes Mellitus as an adverse reaction is Merck for their MMRII.

http://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_circulars/m/mmr_ii/mmr_ii_pi.pdf

It's on page 7 under Adverse Reactions

I excerpted a portion of page 7 below: bolding is mine

"M-M-R​
    ? II (Measles, Mumps, and Rubella Virus Vaccine Live) 9912201

Geriatric Use​
    Clinical studies of M-M-R ​
    II did not include sufficient numbers of seronegative subjects aged 65 and over to determine whether they respond differently from younger subjects. Other reported clinical experience has not identified differences in responses between the elderly and younger subjects.

ADVERSE REACTIONS​
    The following adverse reactions are listed in decreasing order of severity, without regard to causality, within each body system category and have been reported during clinical trials, with use of the marketed vaccine, or with use of monovalent or bivalent vaccine containing measles, mumps, or rubella:
    Body as a Whole
    Panniculitis; atypical measles; fever; syncope; headache; dizziness; malaise; irritability.
    Cardiovascular System
    Vasculitis.
    Digestive System
    Pancreatitis; diarrhea; vomiting; parotitis; nausea.​
    Endocrine System​
    Diabetes mellitus
    Hemic and Lymphatic System​
    Thrombocytopenia (see WARNINGS, ​
    Thrombocytopenia); purpura; regional lymphadenopathy;
    leukocytosis.

Immune System
    Anaphylaxis and anaphylactoid reactions have been reported as well as related phenomena such as angioneurotic edema (including peripheral or facial edema) and bronchial spasm in individuals with or without an allergic history.
    Musculoskeletal System​
    Arthritis; arthralgia; myalgia.

...."

16. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

If there was such a strong correlation and the vaccine CAUSED D, it would be pulled from the market.

Yes, vaccines are an assualt on the immune system and that can trigger it.

As for vax's no one can MAKE you get it, they make it seem that way, but you can certainly opt out

17. KitKat

KitKat Approved members

Sorry, Wilf I didn't mean to offend or upset you. I wanted some information because at one time, I know I saw it on here. I WAS NOT trying to make people feel guilty.

This is why I rarely post and just read.

18. swellman

swellman Approved members

I found no studies in PubMed that suggested a link between the vaccine however, there are 2 studies that suggest a correlation between actual viral infections (chicken pox and other infectious diseases) and diabetes which suggests (in my opinion - not the studies) that there's an increased risk with not vaccinating.

As for the Merc insert the Adverse Reactions on all medications are pretty conservative and shouldn't be considered as causal. For example, I would wager a vast majority of medications list headache, diarrhea, vomiting and fever.

19. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I think you are probably thinking of measles? And I think the reason the vaccine manufacturer says there is a possible link to type 1 is that there is a potential link between getting measles and getting type 1, so the idea is that introducing the virus in a vaccine could be a trigger, too.

Very speculative.

We pick and choose our vaccines, and never received chicken pox. I think it's a bad idea to get it for other reasons (some religious, but also because it is not shown to last more than 10 years so since chicken pox is more dangerous in older kids and adults it seems like a bad idea to protect my kid from getting it when she's 5 and then she has no immunity built up when she's 30 and has forgotten to booster).

It seems reasonable to see a link between the ramping up of immunization programs and the dramatic rise of auto-immune conditions. The "there, there, we know best" attitude of some med bureaucrats tends to make me feel we cannot necessarily trust information about vaccines, the info passed on is usually agenda-driven from one direction or another. That said, I've seen nothing that makes me believe type 1 or any other specific condition is "caused" by vaccinations. At best, I imagine a vaccine might be one in a set of factors.

Seems to me that each mom needs to examine the information she has, the sources she trusts, and her priorities for her family and make a decision tailored for her family. (Dads too, of course).

As for the guilt thing, I think the only way to avoid having speculative threads make you feel guilty is to decide not to feel guilty. Personally, I don't really get why I would feel bad about giving my kid a vaccine I thought was good for her, or not breastfeeding if I thought it was best for us, and then it turned out there was some kind of link. You do the best you can with what you know. Now, it would be different if I, for example, chose to do crack while pregnant and fully knew it was risking problems for the baby and wanted it and did it anyway. If there is selfishness to a decision, I should feel guilty for that no matter what the outcome. But if I made a decision for my family with my child's and family's best interest at heart, I should never feel guilty for that, no matter the outcome. There's a difference between being morally culpable (and therefore guilt comes into play) and being simply mistaken (no blame, no guilt, just life).

20. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Seems like if it turns out that my body having a mistaken autoimmune reaction to a virus triggers Type 1 then getting the vaccine would cause the same mistaken reaction and be a trigger, also.

I think that's the point of vaccination, right? To start your body's own immune system into play?

So the idea here would be that, if pox were somehow a trigger, that kids who get pox get triggered (when they have a predisposition), kids who get vaccinated get triggered, and kids who get neither don't get triggered.

Not that this proves a correlation, but that would be the thinking -- I think that's why there's a warning on the MMR labels, I don't think they've studied whether the vaccine is linked, they've just seen some link with the disease itself.