- advertisement -

Chest infection, amoxicillin - effect on BGs

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by emm142, Mar 19, 2016.

1. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Hiya old friends (and new!),

I've been sick for a few weeks now and on Friday was diagnosed with either severe bacterial bronchitis or mild pneumonia (lungs sounded like pneumonia but chest xray was clear). I've been on fairly high dose amoxicillin since yesterday night.

Does anyone have experience with this lowering BGs above and beyond the effect of cancelling out the infection's BG raise? I'm still sick and haven't been on it long enough to clear the infection, but already my BGs are going low even on my basal from before I got sick, so I'm running lower than I was pre-infection. Treatment is obviously the same either way (reduce basal/bolus insulin) but I am not sure whether to make these changes in a permanent way or just run temp basals until I'm off the amoxicillin (I'd do the latter if the hypos are just caused by the medication).

Any thoughts?

2. Mish

Mish Approved members

Hi Emma! Hope things are well (other than the infection)
    Ian's had antibiotics do this to him in the past, quite a few times. I think what happens is that the antibiotics (which can cause stomach trouble in anyone) are interfering with food absorption, but also somehow also screwing with the normal basal needs. It's just something I keep in the back of my mind if he needs an antibiotic. Eventually he comes back to normal basal needs - but not for a few weeks.

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I tend to agree with high dose antibiotics I think that you are also killing good gut bacteria and absorbtion/ digestion is lost, also I think things move thru more quickly. I tend to believe that high dose drugs make the liver/kindey work harder and that might be why it seems basal is also reduced. We had a time that my daughter was on a "diabetes" vacation because she was not rising with food, so be careful when blousing if you start to run into lows.

I hope you and yours are doing well!

PS have you looked into the Libre?

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Good to know this - I don't remember being on high dose antibiotics since diagnosis (aside from a couple of very brief courses for UTIs) so this came as a surprise to me. I don't have noticeable gastro symptoms but have started on some probiotics so hopefully they will help.

Having now seen my overnight, I think the problems are actually more related to food than basal (this was hard to see during the day as I'm eating regularly). My overnight basal needs don't appear to have changed significantly.

mmgirls, I've been using the Libre since April of last year so almost a year now - it's fantastic. I really can't speak highly enough of it, I've found it to be super accurate and my HbA1C is down from 9.3% to 7.6% as a result. I still test my BG once or twice per day and for driving, but the Libre is almost always accurate (like 99% of the time - I've only had one rogue sensor in a year!). A CGMS with alarms would be better but I can't afford one, and the MM CGMS was never as accurate as this. The only downside is that it causes a severe, burn-type reaction (open, weeping sores) which penetrates almost any barrier (opsite, tegaderm, etc are not thick enough). However, using Compeed (not sure if this is a brand in the US) blister plasters under the sensor has been effective against that for me and most others in the Libre facebook group. It appears to be contact dermatitis.

Life's pretty good, I'm now living with my partner and stepson so life is busy! Very, very busy.... I was diagnosed with retinopathy a few days ago which is a bummer to say the least, but fingers crossed with Libre use and potentially switching to a lower carb diet I'll be able to keep that in check.

5. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I am not sure if you have heard of Nightscout/CGM in the cloud but they have been able to get Libre using the nightscout app to be able to provide the "alarms" and use with a smartwatch. I have heard that there is issues with supply of the Libre have you encountered that? or is it more of getting started with it? I have family in London and I am tempted to try one due to the mere size. Can you tell me the US cost to start up? and them how many sensors do you get?