- advertisement -

Checking throught Night/Kids Sleep Disruptions

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by danielsmom, Jul 30, 2011.

1. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

Daniel is waking up everytime I'm checking him...and dang it sometimes he messes me up after I poke his finger and he'll move it and i have to start over. Last night it took me 5 pokes..He doesn't seem to remember in the morning about it...but crap I hate it!.. Right now since we are in an apartment he and his sister share a room, he is on the top bunk.. I wanted to change him to bottom to make it easier on us, but he refuse.. So course I have to step on daughters bed and when I can't get his finger right the first time..there is chaos.. How do you not disrupt your children during the night with the checking?

2. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

I would make him switch beds with his sister. Also, when I take J's BG at night, I don't let go of his finger until I have gotten the meter reading. As long as I'm holding his finger, he subconsciously keeps it out for me, but the minute I let go, he pulls it under the covers again.

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

That is going to be a little difficult since he's on the top bunk. When we test Steven at night, we use a flashlight, a wet washcloth to wipe the finger. I go in and get the test strip ready in the meter. Try to get a hold of a finger (often Steven will pull them away too) give it a wipe and blow dry then poke and test. Steven doesnt wake fully anymore but used to ask me what I was doing. I think he's gotten used to it by now.

4. TheTestingMom

TheTestingMom Approved members

That's a toughie, I understand him wanting to not move off the top bunk - no real advice there. Maybe a step stool so you don't have to step on your daughters bed?
    I use a head lamp ( like a miner:p ) I have learned to not let go of his hand too, I worry more about digging his hand out from under him, never fails he is asleep on both of them! :D He never wakes up, even when he has a low and I'm talking to him and he's eating tabs, the next day he never remembers. I can even put in a new site and he barely stirs.
    I think he will become more accustom to them and will begin to not wake up.

5. danielsmom

Yeah he is always rolled away and I have to pull him...problem is I want to get the finger pricking done right the first time....and well I'll have to work on bed changing.. Sister is ready to move up...I bribed him with getting a new mattress since the ones I bought them years ago were extra firm and they suck...and he's been wanting a new one..wish we could poke other part of the body to do this...argh!!

6. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

The lower bunk is essential. The alternative is having your son wake up and test himself.

My son always moves at first. I touch his hand and then he usually stretches and shifts. I just wait until he is done moving. Usually I am holding his hand lightly so that it ends up in a position I can get to. I have the meter ready to go. Because he hasn't done anything since his shower, I don't need to clean the finger. I just prick, drop the pricker and pickup the meter to grab the drop of blood, then pickup both and leave the room.

My son doesn't wake up with the over head, so I don't need to hold a flashlight as well.

I remember earlier posts that you tested frequently when he was high. IMHO, unless you are going to give a correction, there is no need to keep testing at night when he is above range.

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

You can. It's called alternate site testing. My dd uses her forearms more often than she uses her fingertips. You need to change the cap on the lancer to the one designed for alternate site testing.

Some folks worry that the forearm sample is not as accurate, we have seen no difference and our endo supports this option.

8. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Some folks think it's less accurate, but I test toes.

You can make sure they are clean before bed, then the toes stick out at the end of the bed that is near the ladder. The faster you can do it, the easier it is to sleep through it for him, so toes help with that.

We also use the multiclix because it's easier to reload, has the little circle that makes it easier to "feel" the contact when you can't see, and the poke isn't as hard so there's less liklihood of jumping (and you can set it to a lower setting). You could also try using a meter for only at night that has a light and takes very little blood (like the freestyle light).

I would be inclined to let him stay on the top bunk if possible, although if it's just untenable that's life, gotta do what you gotta do. But golly, the difference between the top and bottom bunks is a really big difference -- the top bunk is prime real estate. If he has to move to the bottom, I'd find a way to make it a cave or a tent or something else cool to soften the blow. :eek:

9. lynn

lynn Approved members

I can only add a couple of things to what has already been offered. I have found that if I speak soothingly and quietly to Nathan when I am grabbing his hand he doesn't pull back as much. I just tell him it is me and I need him to give me his hand. He very rarely yanks it back anymore but he does seem to have to stretch pretty often, I think from being disturbed. I hold the meter between my lips, which may seem gross but it has the strip light and I use it as a flashlight. Nathan sleeps in the bottom bunk and it is very dark down there so I need a light.

On the nights when he and his sister switch bunks it is a pain in the rump to check him on the top. He tends to squish up in the far corner every time! I would still recommend that you try as much as you can to let your son keep the top. That would hurt to lose it to his little sister.

About the checking of toes: BE CAREFUL!! I tried that and found that it was detrimental to my health---I got kicked the few times I tried it!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  10. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I'm so sorry but I laughed my head off on this one! :p

11. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

Yep...nearly got a broken nose with when I tried the toes!

12. L101418

L101418 Approved members

Man, top bunk would be tough. I try to hang a hand over the side of the bed and milk the fingers first before lancing and then I hang on to that finger for dear life until I get the meter up. I still sometimes have to do it several times too. I've also turned up the lancet depth in desperation. They seem to have gotten used to it now and sometimes even cooperate - like fingers stretched out instead of curling up.

The girls came home from d-camp with hats with lights in the bills so I stole one. Works great to see without turning on lights but the dog's reflective Cujo eyes still catch me off guard.
    Something like this http://www.amazon.com/Baseball-Light-built-Totes-Isotoner/dp/B002SK8OVM.

13. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Given the age of your child, I would ask him if he'd like to check himself. Doesn't give you any more rest than you are getting, but it's puts the control into his hands. Only problem with this method is that it's not uncommon to wake, hand meter, then have them fall back asleep.....so it's not foolproof but worth exploring as an option.

I turn on light in hall, put in strip, cock lancet, and hand it all to him, so I do a lot of the prep work ahead of time.

14. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Really? I think (unless I'm mistaken) that he's 10 or 11...

15. danielsmom

Daniel is 10...and we do have light dimmer, so it doesn't go all the way on...and yes when he pokes, he's much faster..I grab finger, press lancet firmly and guess I"m squeezing his finger too much.. I don't know.. we'll see how it goes tonight...I talked to him again..and he shared about 10 reasons why he won't switch...argh!

16. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Same here:)

Is there enough room to take the beds apart so that there are 2 twin beds?

17. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Hate to do it...but could you bribe him with something else he wants to get him to switch bunks?? He will be giving up something he obviously values...maybe "compensating" him will help? I can't imagine checking BG on a top bunk.

18. Faith

Faith Approved members

I thought we would never get a night without a huge fuss over bg testing. My son has just turned three and it didn't take long for us in the end. I bought a battery operated car repair lamp with a hook on the end - http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.208-5193.aspx - and that was great for hooking over the cot end. Now I switch it on before going into the room and hold it against my chest then lay it face up on the bed. I have everything else ready to go and usually now just do it and I'm off! Sometimes he still wakes and squirms around and I tell him it's Mummy and I'm doing his bloods and he settles quickly. The hardest bit is if he is then too low to get through the night and I have to wake him up properly!

If this were one of my older children and they were in a bunk I would start by getting a very sturdy step so that I didn't have to step on the bottom bunk. I would have hated to lose my top bunk when I was a child!

Good luck!

19. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

You shouldn't have to wake him up properly if he is low. Have you tried a juice box? J (and most kids, it seems like) can suck those down without really waking up.

20. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

At one point my kids shared a room with bunkbeds...Tyler had to sleep on top bunk, his sister was too little to sleep up there...I put a chair next to the bed and stood on that when I tested him...That way even if he was waayyy on the other side of the bed I could still reach him.

If he isn't remembering it in the morning, you aren't distrupting his sleep too much.;)