- advertisement -

Checking during the night?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by happyearthgirl, Jun 12, 2012.

1. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We rely on the CGM, but if it's not working for some reason, I check multiple times during the night.

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

If you can feel your lows that well, and you know they will wake you up, that is great. However, for Danielle and most of the people I have seen discuss this here, that is not the case and they could be in serious trouble if they relied on feeling low to wake them up.

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I try to check most nights. I know that I should check every night, but sometimes it doesn't work out that way. I wear CGMS most of the time (but still set alarms when I'm wearing it, because the CGMS alarm doesn't wake me).

4. Jakethesnakesmom

Jakethesnakesmom Approved members

I'll check Jacob at least once or twice per night (at 1:00 am, and, if low or very high, at 3:00 again). There are a lot of factors, besides IOB, that can cause lows - for us it's soccer practice in the early evening that can affect Jacob up to six hours later.

I'll admit that I didn't check nightly earlier on after the diagnosis because we were told it wasn't necessary unless there was illness or maybe a change in insulin dosage. Also, Jacob's lows used to wake him (now they don't!). After our pump start (and joining this forum and reading what OPs do) we test every night. I can't tell you how many highs and lows I've caught!

Stephanie, mom to Jacob, age 10
    Dx since 2005, pumping with MM since 2010

5. jakdmm

jakdmm Approved members

We check our daughter at bedtime and then 12:30 and 3:30 every night (and sometimes more). We have caught many unexpected lows and highs so we will never go without checking.

6. tiger7lady

tiger7lady Approved members

I always check before I go to bed around midnight and then let the CGM wake me if there is an issue after that. I've got a sonic alarm clock that I can't possibly sleep through. I would say that 5 out of 7 nights I get to sleep the whole night and 2 of those I'm up every 2 hours messing with something.

7. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Hana has had D for 2 1/2 years and I've checked every night since we've been home for the hospital. When she goes to a sleepover, she sets her phone alarm for 2 a.m and checks and texts or calls me. (she's 11).

She checks every 3 hours during the day and I believe it is necessary to do so at night (though sometimes we stretch it to 4 hours depending on what time I go to bed).

It isn't just about lows. Case in point - we had to do a POD change later than usual last night. Generally, if we don't give extra insulin with the POD change, she will go really high. Therefore, I always try to do the POD change early in the day and not near bedtime, however, she ran out of insulin late last night so we had no choice. However, when we changed it, she was on the low side - 80, so I didn't give her extra insulin. I checked at midnight and she was good - 117. I checked at 2 and she went up a bit 140, so I corrected. I then didn't' check again until 7 figuring she was good. Well, she woke up at 300!!!! :eek: Should have checked at 5. I feel sick that she was that high for several hours.

Our endo told us not to check during the night. I ignored her.

8. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

I disagree as well...there can be other factors that can contribute to lows at night. You have to do what YOU feel is safe for your child and whatever helps you to get through the night with some peace of mind.

I am also in the minority in that I do not check every night. I check before I go to sleep at 10:30 or 11 and then base my decision of whether to check later on that number and other things such as illness or activity, and also on his BG when he wakes up in the morning. He has been low the past 2 mornings...which means I will be up at 3:00 and maybe 5:00 tonight. In the summer, with all the activity, I am up more nights than not...but I do manage to sleep through the night at times during the winter!

I was curious about how adults with D handle this, and posted a thread in the adults with D section a few months back. Most (if not all) did not usually get up overnight to check. Of course, kids are not adults and have different needs. I just wondered what my son might do in the future.

9. wilf

wilf Approved members

If your son has exercised hard during the day and you haven't adjusted basals, then there will be "active insulin" and a real risk of lows - even hard ones.

The CGM provides some assurance, you will know yourself how much.

10. Hudson_Rocks

Hudson_Rocks Approved members

I usually only check if he has had insulin before bed, I check 2-3 hours after last injection.

If he's high, he gets corrected, if he's low he gets fed, if he's just right he gets left alone the rest of the night. It's like the Type 1 "Three Bears" :p

ETA: We do take into consideration any unusual activity levels, etc as well

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  11. katiesdad

katiesdad Approved members

I check my going-on-4 year old daughter 2 to 4 times a night. Diabetes has NO logic. Just when you think "Okay, she is 170 and she has .25 amount of insulin left on board, so that should take her down to approximately 110 - next thing you know you check her and she sky rockets to 245."

I will check 3 hours after her bedtime snack and if she is low, I treat her and recheck her in 30 minutes. If she is high, I give a correction (she is on the pump). Anytime I give a correction in the middle of the night though, I always recheck her 2 1/2 to 3 hours later to make sure one) she came back down to normal range and two) she didn't go too low. Then once I know her sugar is fairly stable for the night, I go back to bed for a few hours and then when I get up around 6 a.m. to pack my husbands lunch and see him off to work, I sneak in for one more check to see how she faired over the last few hours. I like for her to wake up at a normal reading. If she wakes up high/low, she tends to be very emotional and doesn't feel good. If I can help control that (which is alot easier when ones on a pump) by checking more often through the night, then I think its worth it. She sleeps through it all anyways! :)

Good luck, hope this helps.

12. manda81

manda81 Approved members

Last night was a great example of this, went to bed with a great number, have had several nights/days without any issues, and no basal changes... nothing different happened yesterday.

At 4am, my kiddo was at 48, and sleeping like a baby. He was no where near waking up.

He does recognize his lows during the day.

13. Mrs Puff

Mrs Puff Approved members

My ds (14 1/2) has a bedtime snack every night around 8:30 or 9:00 when he also takes his Lantus. He is MDI. If he is below 150 he does not have to take insulin if the snack is not a huge amount of carbs. Every night at 12am I check his blood sugar. With the knowledge floating around in my brain of how much exercise he had during the day, what he ate at bedtime snack, and how much insulin he took, and what his blood sugar is, I determine whether or not he needs another check in the middle of the night. If he is around 115 I might give him a glucose tab and not check him again. One night recently he was 61 and 12am. I gave him a juice box and a tab. I checked him at 2am and he was 62! WTH? So I gave him another juice box and tab. At 7am he was 72! We have never had a night where he ran so low. He is in the throes of puberty plus has decided to start jogging a little and lifting weights. Normally I don't correct a high during the night unless he is above about 250. This is what works for my family.

14. blufickle

blufickle Approved members

I don't have a CGM. If I wake up and have one of my insulin reactions (hypo/low blood sugar) symptoms, I will check. Otherwise I don't. I didn't have problems with lows at night until menopause began, then with the whacked out hormones made everything difficult. My husband often will wake me because I'm sweating. Sometimes it's because of a hot flash other times it's because of an insulin reaction.

But each diabetic is different. I haven't found another juvenile onset diabetic going through menopause who has had the same type of problems as I am. Once you learn how to handle yourself, you do the best you can.

Right now, I'm trying a Nighttime Cold Sweat Alarm. I've had several false alarms, but I guess the false alarms are okay because it has woke me to a few lows... 50. I'm thinking that this isn't good enough and will look into a CMG.