- advertisement -

Checking bg's?

Discussion in 'Diabetes and College' started by kierbabi09, Oct 5, 2009.

1. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

Before I got to college I had no problem checking my bg's.
    Now, I feel like there is not enough hours in the day to do all my school stuff, find time for friends, ect., let alone for checking my blood sugars:eek:
    I'm really trying to get better at it. I'm starting with 1 or 2 checks a day and slowly increasing it to more.
    Any advice? Thanks:)

2. Rachel Erin

Rachel Erin Approved members

whoa, i check mine about 10 times a day or more.
    i check when i drive, eat, or when i feel low or high.

number one thing to focus on is your diabetes.
    second should be school.
    and third for socializing.

3. Diet Dr. Pepper

Diet Dr. Pepper Approved members

I've been having a little trouble too. Just not wanting to do it.. But I'm stepping up and getting better.. I tested 5 times yesterday (yay go me!)

4. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

I don't really have a big problem with it. I usually test between classes, or if I feel weird, I just check under the desk so that I don't interrupt (that AccuChek Compact Plus can be noisy!). I guess I just MAKE time to check.

5. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

I think I'm too paranoid, obsessed, whatever- to not test at this time in my life. I don't have that safety net of family and super close friends who know what to do anymore. My new friends know a little, but its not the same. I totally understand what you're talking about because I did at one point go through that and it sucked! You have to make testing part of your routine. You have to connect it in your brain to something else so when you do that thing you will think -oh i need to test-

brush your teeth= test bg
    a certain class= test bg
    sit down for lunch= test bg
    a certain class= test bg
    sit down for dinner= test bg
    brush your teeth= test bg

That is already 6 tests

Here is my typical day

wake up during the night- test bg
    get out of bed- test
    10:30 (in class)- test bg
    lunch- test bg when I sit down
    2:00 (in class)-test bg
    dinner- test bg
    exercise-test bg
    climb into bed- test bg

any other time I feel off or my sensor shows me rising/dropping- test

6. Brynn

Brynn Approved members

College is an amazing experience in itself, diabetes just happens to come with it. Yeah, it "d" is there, and the fact is you just had a huge adjustment in your life going from HS to college. It's defiantly not easy.
    If you get on your school's website there are often diabetic support groups, clubs, whatever that help students manage d and school. Is your college large? If not, the health center usually helps to offer something. I went with the physical therapy and physical education/nutrition department at my school. They had TONS of info, classes, support groups, and a group that met every Tues to exercise.
    Good luck, it'll soon become second hand again.

7. actualreality86

actualreality86 Approved members

I test 15 times a day because I'm just paranoid. If your on the pump one thing you can do is set alarms for you to test with my alarms:

12:00 am
    4:00am
    8:00 am
    11:00am
    12:00pm
    3:00pm
    7:00pm
    10:00pm

That's 8 times right there, and then I check in between usually 12 - 3 because I feel like I'm about to spike around that time, and then I check between 7 - 10 due to the night time creeping. If I've done my exercise during the day I check before and after. I usually have breakfast between 8 and 9 in the morning so I check before breakfast and after to correct if I need. Then I check before and after lunch and dinner as well.

Yes it's hard to have a busy schedule with D, but it's important to check. I've done checking in the car. Just last night coming back from my friend's house I had stopped at Taco Bell, checked, bolused for my 15 carb snack, ate, then I was feeling the symptoms of high and low so as I was driving home I tested and I was normal.

8. Bailboy

Bailboy New Member

I know how it is

I know what its like to try to find time do everything when you're in college, I myself am in my second semester. Time isnt going to just appear you have to take it. Whenever you eat check, at least after. Whenever you have a free moment check it. After doing this for awhile you will find a groove and you'll be set

9. Ronin1966

Ronin1966 Approved members

Hello kierbabi09:

How long does your meter take :eek: ????