- advertisement -

cheaper diabetes supplies?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by shannong, Apr 23, 2013.

1. shannong

shannong Approved members

Hi there, my DS is starting the pump at the end of May. I live in Canada so we are fortunate that the government pays for the pump and some supplies, because we do not have insurance. However, there will be costs above what the government gives us. If we can save some money by purchasing pump supplies at a lower cost, it will help us. We live close to a US border, so we can always go to the US to pick up supplies, so just wondering if anyone has ideas on where to order pump supplies? Also things like skin tac, and other dressings/adhesives. My understanding is that ordering from the pump companies is more expensive. Thanks!

2. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

We order a lot of the non-prescription things through Amazon for much less than what they are on sale for in stores here.

I stand to be corrected here, but I think that most of the heavy-duty pump supplies are prescription-only here in the US, so it might be hard to go cross-border shopping for them!

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

FWIW, we pumped for years without using any additional products like tape, dressing etc. I did use Medi-sol adhesive remover to help get the old infusion sets off, but baby oil probably would have worked just as well.

If your plan covers infusion sets and cartridges then you really have the needed and big ticket items covered ;)

4. calngavinsmom

calngavinsmom Approved members

Hi there! We are in Canada as well and we use this place to get our IV3000 infusion set tape and EMLA cream. Definitely cheaper than our local pharmacies.
    http://www.diabetesdepot.ca/

I haven't had to buy pump supplies yet (we are in a study and our supplies are paid for for 18 months) so I cannot speak to those, but I was very happy with the service, products and prices from this place.

Good luck to you!

5. schnoodle

schnoodle Approved members