- advertisement -

Charles Ray III Foundation?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kyle and ryans mom, Sep 30, 2012.

1. kyle and ryans mom

kyle and ryans mom Approved members

Anyone have experience or heard anything good or bad about the Charles Ray Foundation? From what I read online, they get certified used minimed pumps and sell them for around $800. We don't have health insurance and make a little too much right now to qualify for CHIP. Thank goodness the children's hospital has a program that covers all Dr appts and anything from their pharmacy. I could afford the monthly supplies if I could get a pump some how. Thanks for any info

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Honestly, I'm not sure an unwarrantied, refurbished pump is worth $800. Nor do I understand how they can charge $800 for a donated pump.

I know that some folks have had success getting their local Elk, Rotary, Lions type clubs to help raise funds for new pumps. I think that might be a safer way to go.

That said, I've never heard of the organization you mentioned and don't see much of a trail of info on the web. Hopefully someone with actual experience with them will chime in.

3. caspi

caspi Approved members

I have to agree with Sarah. I think that's an awful lot of money for a used, donated pump. :( People fundraise all the time for different things. I would contact the pump companies first to see what kind of deal they chould give you if you are paying cash and then fundraise for it.